Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 11th September 2011, 22:01   #2236
BHPian

Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Guys I have to transport my dog (GSD, 2yrs old) from Bangalore to Pune. Has anyone done this earlier? I sold my car and can't wait to bring him until I buy a new car here, so suggestions required.

A bit OT (Sorry MODS) - I have to move my households too, so while I transport my stuffs through movers and packers (please provide contact of a reliable one), will they take my dog too?

Right now I am clueless about transporting my dog, have googled enough, but none were convincing enough.

Kind of urgent
I transported my 5 week pup from Bangalore to Mumbai with Sebrings Kennel Whitefield - a guy called micheal lazgrado. Look it up on Google. I was worried given it was a pup, but came through fine.
milestogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 23:57   #2237
BHPian

SOS!!

Guys, my cat gave birth to 3 kittens 3 weeks back and now, one of the 4 kittens has developed some kind of respiratory infection, She struggles to breathe, she's lost a good amount of weight and is barely able to stand and walk. She is not feeding on the mother's milk either.

I consulted a vet and he suggested me that i feed her cerelac with milk once in every 4 hours, and to give her some oral drops which is an antibiotic, It is very hard to see the little one suffer terribly, She makes a whining sound everytime she breathes.

Is there anything else that i can do?
akshay_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 02:25   #2238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
SOS!!

Guys, my cat gave birth to 3 kittens 3 weeks back and now, one of the 4 kittens has developed some kind of respiratory infection, She struggles to breathe, she's lost a good amount of weight and is barely able to stand and walk. She is not feeding on the mother's milk either.
Is there anything else that i can do?

Anything useful here? Feline Asthma & Other Respiratory Disorders

If the doctor has not confidently spelt out a diagnosis but is generally experimenting with antibiotics on a hapless animal, then find another one, since this is urgent.

Not a doctor, but can you list the name and dosage of antibiotic?

--Ragul
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 10:31   #2239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Guys I have to transport my dog (GSD, 2yrs old) from Bangalore to Pune. Has anyone done this earlier? I sold my car and can't wait to bring him until I buy a new car here, so suggestions required.

A bit OT (Sorry MODS) - I have to move my households too, so while I transport my stuffs through movers and packers (please provide contact of a reliable one), will they take my dog too?

Right now I am clueless about transporting my dog, have googled enough, but none were convincing enough.

Kind of urgent
flights do not allow pets. Packers and movers only handle non-living things Railway is the only option here in India. You have to keep him in the goods compartment at the back of the train. This is the bogey where things like household items, 2 wheelers, etc are transported. Railway authorities don't allow dogs in the main passenger compartments, so you have to frequently attend to him there. Bangalore - Pune is ~24 hours. The train ride will make your dog sick as hell, he would need to be sedated to avoid restlessness and anxiety.

Alternate method (better for the dog) - hire a taxi. If that is not possible, rent a car from Hertz or something. That way you can drive from bangalore to pune, stop at frequent distances for the dog's sake (even take an overnight break at hubli if necessary). Plus, you can drop off the rented car at the pune branch of hertz. Ticks all of your requirements?

Last edited by KarthikK : 12th September 2011 at 10:35.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 13:54   #2240
BHPian

Beautiful suggestion from karthikk.
Me too suggest to take him in a rented car or taxi. Have some consideration towards the soul of the pet
MuzzledMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 14:11   #2241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Anything useful here? Feline Asthma & Other Respiratory Disorders

If the doctor has not confidently spelt out a diagnosis but is generally experimenting with antibiotics on a hapless animal, then find another one, since this is urgent.

Not a doctor, but can you list the name and dosage of antibiotic?

--Ragul
Temobax is the drug which is prescribed, From what i've seen, the whining sound has been stopped and she is feeding on the mother's milk. Do you think i should do anything else?
akshay_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 14:43   #2242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
I transported my 5 week pup from Bangalore to Mumbai with Sebrings Kennel Whitefield - a guy called micheal lazgrado. Look it up on Google. I was worried given it was a pup, but came through fine.
I talked to this guy and he wants me to buy a fibre cage from him which costs 15-20K+transport charge which is again around 15K. Total of 30-35K.

Is there a cheaper option? anybody? Who has transported their dog earlier?
Googleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 14:52   #2243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I talked to this guy and he wants me to buy a fibre cage from him which costs 15-20K+transport charge which is again around 15K. Total of 30-35K.

i think the best option is to drive down. will be cheaper and safer.
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 15:04   #2244
BHPian

Driving 900KMS is not a small deal but I can get this done if I have another driver and 3-4 days leave. However, do we get places to halt and they allow pets inside?
Old 12th September 2011, 15:28   #2245
Distinguished - BHPian

Definitely do not trust to packers.

My second-hand knowledge of moving dogs... My ex-neighbours used to take their dog on the train. There was a dog cage in the baggage compartment, but first-come, first served. I remember that, the day they finally moved back to their native place, the dog "compartment" was already occupied, so the dog had to come back to their son and be sent the following day. Obviously, you need someone at the station with you in case that happens.

You can take a dog in first-class or 1AC, but you have to book the whole compartment and get the ticket for the dog.

I'm sure others have first-hand experience, but as you asked for urgent help, thought I'd post the little I know.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 15:39   #2246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Driving 900KMS is not a small deal but I can get this done if I have another driver and 3-4 days leave. However, do we get places to halt and they allow pets inside?
with couple of breaks for you and your canine, you can make it to Pune in under 16hrs.
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 15:57   #2247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Do not trust packers and movers. They have little or no knowledge of how to handle canines. Your dog would be terribly stressed out due to the motion sickness as it is, putting him with a stranger doubles his anxiety. Reputed breeders here transport pups by sending their aides with the puppy. Puppies are usually sedated before they are transported. If you use the railway route, this is what will be required. 24 hours of rocking motion in the train will get them continuously puking.

How comfortable is your dog when he travels in the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
with couple of breaks for you and your canine, you can make it to Pune in under 16hrs.
+1. alternatively, what I was suggesting earlier was a split at halfway point near hubli. Take an overnight break at 400kms, continue the next day and complete the remaining 400km, return the rented car at their pune outlet and go home .

I'll try to find out about pet-friendly resorts around that part and post it here. I think my friend had gone to some place once with his dog. That was near Dandeli if i'm right (quite close to hubli).

Last edited by KarthikK : 12th September 2011 at 16:11.
Old 12th September 2011, 16:21   #2248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
How comfortable is your dog when he travels in the car?
He is kinda big, and could not stretch in an Accent back seat earlier. He also had a habit of barking at cows but all these will be no problem, he will be ok in sometime. Car is the best option if not flight.

Still hoping someone out here would have transported their pet by flight and could give me details of that

and BTW, thanks a lot for the responses
Old 12th September 2011, 16:31   #2249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He is kinda big, and could not stretch in an Accent back seat earlier. He also had a habit of barking at cows but all these will be no problem, he will be ok in sometime. Car is the best option if not flight.

Still hoping someone out here would have transported their pet by flight and could give me details of that

and BTW, thanks a lot for the responses
Jet airways is one flight company which allows pets, but there are restrictions on how big the cage can be. You could call them up and enquire directly. Because you said your dog was a GSD, earlier I said flights are ruled out The cage size part was what i was referring to. I fear he might be too big for their allowed cage size. You could check anyway

P.S - if you choose the car option with overnight stay, quite a few homestays in Dandeli area which seem to allow pets. I asked my friend but it looks like he stayed at some cousin's farmhouse there. He did mention that a few homestays are in and around that area. You can easily get accomodation in one of those places. Here is a site where I found 1 such place -

PET FRIENDLY RESORT KARNATAKA

I think that is bison river resort, dandeli. If you do this, you convert this into a holiday + relocation for your pet

Last edited by KarthikK : 12th September 2011 at 16:40.
Old 12th September 2011, 17:22   #2250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Temobax is the drug which is prescribed, From what i've seen, the whining sound has been stopped and she is feeding on the mother's milk. Do you think i should do anything else?

Is the kitten is improving, just continue. Some extra parental care from your side will make you a very proud owner when shes grown up. I would recommend you don't give this kitten away if you can keep one. But thats your call.

--Ragul
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote