Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 21st October 2011, 23:46   #2356
BHPian

Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Team, SOS call!!

As I had already posted in this thread, I have 3 healthy and naughty kittens (1M/2F) which are around 5-6 months old now. Of these, Sweety (female kitten) was once attacked by a stray tom cat almost a month back. Thank God she did not get hurt badly but then for a day or two her behavior was a little different. She didn't allow the other 2 fellaws to come much near her and after those 1-2 days, she gradually became normal. I also took her to our vet who said that she is quite okay. And since she was only 4-5 months old then, the vet also told that the kitten would not have reached sexual maturity so there is nothing much to worry about. Even last weekend, I had taken the other two guys to the vet for their shot (Sweety already got her dosage) and we decided on neutering/spaying them one after other starting Nov-2nd week.

Now, since the past few days I noticed that Sweety's stomach is swollen as if she is pregnant. My suspicion is growing further because her nipples are becoming quite prominent now. From what I know/from what I have read, a female kitten would reach sexual maturity only after 6-7 months of age.

I am in a fix now. Is there any chance that a kitten which is just about 6 months of age being pregnant?

Last edited by callvvijay : 21st October 2011 at 23:48.
callvvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 09:58   #2357
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Cant you guys complain to the local PETA? Take a couple of pictures for proof and documentation and present that to the local animal activist? Much better if this person is a woman.
Can you tell me the Email or the website where I can do it? I just checked PetaIndia site and it doesn't have any link to report a case of abuse or something unlike the PETA USA site.

Edit: Sorry found a number and a mail id. Lets see if it works.

By the way what exactly will Peta do with the animal? They have a facility to keep them? Its not necessary that the poor dog will find a new taker right? Since he is already 1 year+ and people generally tend to take in pups rather then a grown up dog. I don't want him to go from here and then end up in a bigger mess. Also worried about how the dog will adjust? My vet says that dogs specially ones like Labrador ( breed in concern above) are so playful that they really get attached to the owner and will not survive if left or adopted by someone else. Please advice.

Last edited by drmohitg : 24th October 2011 at 10:03.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 12:53   #2358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
By the way what exactly will Peta do with the animal? They have a facility to keep them? Its not necessary that the poor dog will find a new taker right? Since he is already 1 year+ and people generally tend to take in pups rather then a grown up dog. I don't want him to go from here and then end up in a bigger mess. Also worried about how the dog will adjust? My vet says that dogs specially ones like Labrador ( breed in concern above) are so playful that they really get attached to the owner and will not survive if left or adopted by someone else. Please advice.
If the pet is tied up the whole day and ignored, I do not think that he would have bonded to any one. In fact you would be doing the pet a favour even if the relocation to a Peta home, at least the pet will be looked after.

In this case any one who loves the dog will be an improvement, so do not worry.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 13:12   #2359
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If the pet is tied up the whole day and ignored, I do not think that he would have bonded to any one. In fact you would be doing the pet a favour even if the relocation to a Peta home, at least the pet will be looked after.

In this case any one who loves the dog will be an improvement, so do not worry.
The case is a little complicated as I have come to understand by mostly watching the proceedings keenly. The family consists of 2 brothers married with kids ranging from 7-14 year old. And there parents. Now the 2 brother's wives do not get along and they are mostly not on talking terms but staying in the same house waiting for there parents to pass on and claim the property ( which will be to the tune of 25 cr right now), so none of them is leaving. Now the older brother's wife got this dog and she takes him for an ultra small walk in the morning and sometimes in the eve, have seen her sometimes play with him for around 5-10 mins max and even those times the dog is chained. The rest of the day she is mostly out of the house ( probably working) and the younger bro's wife ( maybe as a sign of revolt) makes sure the dog is tied outside. Servants are also not allowed to take him for a walk and when he relieves himself there in the house, the elder bro's wife herself cleans the poop.

Now what do I do in this case?

Mods: If this is inappropriate please delete. I told it to enable other members to may be get an insight into the dogs life.

Last edited by drmohitg : 24th October 2011 at 13:24.
Old 24th October 2011, 13:23   #2360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The case is a little complicated as I have come to understand by mostly watching the proceedings keenly. The family consists of 2 brothers married with kids ranging from 7-14 year old. And there parents. Now the 2 brother's wives do not get along and they are mostly not on talking terms but staying in the same house waiting for there parents to pass on and claim the property ( which will be to the tune of 25 cr right now), so none of them is leaving. Now the older brother's wife got this dog and she takes him for an ultra small walk in the morning and sometimes in the eve, have seen her sometimes play with him for around 5-10 mins max and even those times the dog is chained. The rest of the day she is mostly out of the house ( probably working) and the younger bro's wife ( maybe as a sign of revolt) makes sure the dog is tied outside. Servants are also not allowed to take him for a walk and when he relieves himself there in the house, only the elder bro's wife cleans the poop.

Mods: If this is inappropriate please delete. I told it to enable other members to may be get an insight into the dogs life.

what is this, "saas, bahu and bhow?"

Moving on, speak to friendicoes here:
Animal Helpline | Friendicoes

They will let you know exactly what can/cannot be done..
As far as the dog not bonding is concerned, the dog will bond to whoever cleans the poop, or even gives him food.
The human may not have but the dog would.

Although, it seems that whoever you complain to, they will have a pretty hard time taking the dog away.
I know that to us who have kept dogs out of affection, and not as a plaything, it seems horrible, the treatment neing meted out here.
but for any protection societies to rescue the dog, they would need evidence of much harsher(wot to do, thats the way it is) treatment to invoke the animal protection/welfare(which one is it?I know one exists, cos there was a news piece about a guy who got challaned some time ago in delhi) laws, and involve the police etc.

talk to friendicoes once.
if they are open to taking up the dog, and put it for adoption(they do that), you can reason, if possible, with the owners.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 13:31   #2361
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
what is this, "saas, bahu and bhow?"
We humans can be strange sometimes! venting out our anger or hate on animals is such a cowardly act.

Quote:
They will let you know exactly what can/cannot be done..
As far as the dog not bonding is concerned, the dog will bond to whoever cleans the poop, or even gives him food.
The human may not have but the dog would.
Thats my biggest concern. Labs by nature are very playful. I still see his tail wag each time he sees someone from the house be it one of the family members or the servant. Barks like crazy when the kids are going to school in the morning. So I feel he has established his loyalties regardless of the love being received.

Quote:
but for any protection societies to rescue the dog, they would need evidence of much harsher(wot to do, thats the way it is) treatment to invoke the animal protection/welfare(which one is it?I know one exists, cos there was a news piece about a guy who got challaned some time ago in delhi) laws, and involve the police etc.
Thats exactly the technical aspect of it. On what grounds will they take him away. I am sure just chaining him will not be grounds enough. There is no beating or anything of those sorts. The case you are referring to is probably where a guy complained against someone in his apartment to have beaten a stray and his pups with a iron rod and killed them all sometime back. Those kind of offences are surely punishable.

Quote:
talk to friendicoes once.
if they are open to taking up the dog, and put it for adoption(they do that), you can reason, if possible, with the owners.
Lets see. I will try and see if something can be done. Thanks for your help.
Old 24th October 2011, 13:38   #2362
BHPian

Quote:
So the problem is they are not taking the dog out for a walk, or keeping him chained?

Or,

He is not getting food and treated very badly (beaten, left out in the rain) etc..

If it is the first one, then don't worry much. Atleast he is getting good food and a safe place to live. Dogs adapt themselves to the situation, and soon he will know that his place is that and will start enjoying it. I know it is a bit harsh and I myself have never kept my dogs tied up ever, but what to do, all the animals and humans can not get the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If the pet is tied up the whole day and ignored, I do not think that he would have bonded to any one.
No. A dog's love is not conditional that he will bond only if he is left free and loved.

Moreover, A lot of dogs love their own space, the house, their bed, their leash etc.. which puts them to shock, once their houses are changed.
Googleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 13:49   #2363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
So the problem is they are not taking the dog out for a walk, or keeping him chained?

Or,

He is not getting food and treated very badly (beaten, left out in the rain) etc..
No The main issue is the former. Chained the whole day and no walks ( or very very small ones, 50-100 meters at best).

Food is served, although I am not sure if they really bother cleaning the bowl or about the quality of the food. No beatings. I will actually go and lodge an FIR the day they beat him. That is something I cannot tolerate.

Quote:
If it is the first one, then don't worry much. Atleast he is getting good food and a safe place to live. Dogs adapt themselves to the situation, and soon he will know that his place is that and will start enjoying it. I know it is a bit harsh and I myself have never kept my dogs tied up ever, but what to do, all the animals and humans can not get the best.
Thats what my dad said too. He quoted the example of the strays outside or the animals being used to transport goods and said atleast he is safe and being fed. Not sure how many of you agree.

Quote:
No. A dog's love is not conditional that he will bond only if he is left free and loved.

Moreover, A lot of dogs love their own space, the house, their bed, their leash etc.. which puts them to shock, once their houses are changed.
Exactly! I can vouch for this from my own experience and hence I am even more apprehensive in reporting. Our lab when he was around 2, we had to go to jaipur for 3 days. Earlier once we had left him with the vet who offered a facility like this and charged around 400 per day. But when we saw how she kept the dogs we were disgusted and never used her services again, both lodging and medical. So this time around we left him with one of my friends who has a large house and is a dog lover himself. On the second day itself my friend called me in jaipur and told me to come back as Mr. Tuffy has decided not to eat anything at all. He said he is just lying down in a corner with no interest in food, snacks, walk or playing. We returned the very next day and I cannot tell you how happy he was to see us. He was running a temperature! Its been 6 years since then and we have never left him alone and make it a point that atleast one of us is with him.
Old 27th October 2011, 23:28   #2364
BHPian

Guys,

Any inputs on Dr.Lohith's Bangalore Pet hospital in Varthur-Airport Main Road? I'm thinking of getting my cat spayed/sterilized there.
akshay_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 10:42   #2365
Senior - BHPian

I said goodbye to Milli y'day.
She had a full happy life, living to a ripe old age of 12 and a half years.
Was diganosed with liver tomours and a bad uterine infection this feb, and pulled through, but it eventually got to her alongwith age.

She gave me 5 litters on the way.
the first set, of 2, is still with us.

Like my mom said, "never can any human give, and receive, so much love, so pure in such a short time."

I miss you, but I know how bad it was in the last week, and know you are in a better place.

----------------------------------
Guys, esp with female pets, do get annual checks on lower body(Ultrasounds, xrays etc), and if the vet offers a surgical option for removal of the uterus, and your pet is strong and young enough, get it done.
Its not necessary that your dog will get that infection, but its a very high probability option, and if it comes, its debiliatating for the dog.
------------------------------------
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_1361.jpg  

mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 11:54   #2366
Distinguished - BHPian

Sincere condolences, mayank. Twelve years of companionship is a long time. There must be a very big hole in your family now. Very sad.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 12:29   #2367
BANNED

"never can any human give, and receive, so much love, so pure in such a short time."

Hi,
My sincere condolences.
Only people who own pets know the value this statement.How very true.
As you mentioned she has lived her full life.Her memories will never die.
We adore our pet!!

cheers
PRADEEP KUMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 16:18   #2368
Distinguished - BHPian

heartfelt condolences mayank; its never easy when a loved one passes away. be strong, time will heal.
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 16:31   #2369
BHPian

Very sorry mayankk for your loss.
I have lost dogs too and yes i know how it feels to part away from someone with whom who used to sleep in your bed at nights when there was a thunder storm outside.With someone for whom you were ready to fight with your parents to keep them in your room.With someone who used to make you delighted with their sparkling eyes and wagging tales when you felt despondent and lonely.Yes even i share this common pain with you all.

Im sure milly lived a majestic life of 12 and a half years and even better her sons/daughters are still there with you

P.S. I am also a dog lover.At present i have two Labradors
One Black and one creamish in color.
The black one is lara she is 5 years old and the cream one is victor he is 3 and a half years of age. For all those who have been visiting this thread regularly i had posted the pics of my dogs before from my older account which got hacked and hence im here once again sharing the pics of my mates

Here are the pics although most are of victors childhood:-
Attached Images

Last edited by Enigmatic : 3rd November 2011 at 16:37.
Enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2011, 14:32   #2370
Distinguished - BHPian

He's home finally! After a wait of nearly 4 months i got my Rottweiler puppy. He's 45 days old, naughty, wants to chew everything, pees everywhere he pleases, poops as he likes, but makes everyone happy!

He's my first dog ever, now its the break in period for both of us! I haven't named him yet, which i plan to do very soon, please suggest some names.

I haven't clicked any better shots yet, so sharing what i have clicked with my phone.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20111102_165001.jpg

I'm feeding him RC Puppy Starter pack and milk, but wish to change over to home food. Suggest what i can feed him at this stage. The breeder has given me a chart, but want to hear more suggestions.

Edit: Mayank, sad to hear about your loss. My condolences..
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote