Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2012, 17:22   #2596
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,056
Thanked: 3,245 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Hi all,

Its a sad day for me today. Just now I had phone call from home. My favourite cat Lilo expired just now. She was 10.5 years old and was unfortunately suffering from mammary tumour which was malignant. This was expected one day. She was bedridden for the past one week and today she ultimately gave up. She was just too weak to make it.

Though this was expected; and we all knew it; it still feels so sad, no matter how mentally you are prepared for it. She has left a big void which can never be filled by anyone. She was a just like a family member. I guess it will take some time to get over this.

R-I-P Lilo, we will all miss you forever.

WAG7, I am really sorry about this.
I know how hard it is to lose, what basically is, a family member at the end of the day.
It adds to the agony that they arent able to articulate.
Only condolence I can offer is that she is in a better place.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 17:46   #2597
BHPian
 
deathwalkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 614
Thanked: 413 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post
Hi @deathwalkr,

Thanks again for your reply.

I always thought more height in the tank would be good as it gives a lot of vertical room for the fishes to swim, and also my gar used to prefer just floating about near the surface while the other fish would be much deeper. Heighted tanks are a pain to clean though.
Well its not that height is unimportant but just that width takes more priority since the fishes [large ones] can roam around easily and comfortably.

I know your problem with feeding them. My aro used to bully my gar when it used to go up to feed and if i feed sinking pellets then my clown loaches used to beat him to it. What i used to do was finish off one feeding session. After some time feed the tank slowly so that this time the others are full leaving the gar to take its time.

Feeders are good. But dont buy fishes are branded as feeders as they would have been raised in rather unhygienic conditions and may contain parasites. Get regular for sale fishes like mollies, platys and stuff.

This is a dream


Again for catfish you would need a wide tank as most would grow quite big and need a lot of horizontal space to move around. But you could try the Raphael Talking Catfish. Nice striped fellows that do not grow very big.

And sure shall put up some pix soon. My mistakes and my lessons and the fruits of my labour

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire post or a lengthy post since it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users. Thanks!

Last edited by n_aditya : 20th March 2012 at 13:44.
deathwalkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 17:50   #2598
Distinguished - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,504
Thanked: 3,515 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
R-I-P Lilo, we will all miss you forever.
take solace in the fact that she's in a better place now and doesn't have to suffer anymore. i know it hurts like hell, but time will heal bro. hang in there.
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 18:13   #2599
Senior - BHPian
 
W.A.G.7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,089
Thanked: 712 Times
Unhappy Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
My god. Sorry about your loss man. Could you post some fun pictures with her? It will help if we all remember her for the fun times she had with you :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
WAG7, I am really sorry about this.
I know how hard it is to lose, what basically is, a family member at the end of the day.
It adds to the agony that they arent able to articulate.
Only condolence I can offer is that she is in a better place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
take solace in the fact that she's in a better place now and doesn't have to suffer anymore. i know it hurts like hell, but time will heal bro. hang in there.
Thanks for the kind words everyone. It's hard to fathom the fact that she won't be there today when I go home from office.

Some things in life can't be helped, no matter what. That's what I have learnt. But at-least I am happy that she is in a much better place now. I unfortunately don't have pics of her. But I do have pics of her mother with me, which I will scan and upload.

Actually we had taken her to the vet when she stopped eating a few weeks back and at the time we discovered the tumour during an X-ray. It was already in an advanced stage with secondaries having spread to the lungs and stomach. It must have been growing for at-least 2-3 months, but since it was never felt on the outside, we never knew about it.

For the past one week she was bedridden. Responsive but bedridden. And her age was already beginning to show with multiple ailments over the past 1 year like eye/ear problems, skin ailments, bleeding from gums & nails etc.

With her gone today, the chapter of cats in our family comes to an end. The males have already gone out in search of territories and rarely return to the house for a short while. She was the last of the females that I had. Now none unfortunately.

Time will be the best healer. It will take some time but still we will miss her.
W.A.G.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 18:25   #2600
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 88
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Hi all,

Its a sad day for me today. Just now I had phone call from home. My favourite cat Lilo expired just now. She was 10.5 years old and was unfortunately suffering from mammary tumour which was malignant. This was expected one day. She was bedridden for the past one week and today she ultimately gave up. She was just too weak to make it.

Though this was expected; and we all knew it; it still feels so sad, no matter how mentally you are prepared for it. She has left a big void which can never be filled by anyone. She was a just like a family member. I guess it will take some time to get over this.

R-I-P Lilo, we will all miss you forever.
Sorry to hear about your loss. I can imagine how it feels.
I guess the medical facilities here for animals still have a long way to progress.
nitin_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 18:33   #2601
BHPian
 
kri$hna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bhagyanagarabad
Posts: 231
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Hi BHPians

I had earlier posted pics of my beloved pet TIGER, a short haired german shepherd dog. Currently, he is in Hyd, enjoying a 400sq Yard house, all for himself. He maintains a very lean structure & is quite active when ppl are around. He is used to me & my wife going to office and coming back in the evening. Now, I have shifted to Bangalore and plan on purchasing an apartment in EC phase 1 (Neotown-smondoville).

It is a small flat with a terrace area (this terrace area is specifically because i ll have tiger here soon). I have never lived in an apartment earlier and its the same case with my Tiger as well. He is a lot used to being around me & my wife, so cant think of leaving him in hyd also.

What are the issues that can come up, staying with a pet in an apartment ? The area is abt 995sft with a small balcony (~89sft), which would be just about sufficient for a small family. With pet coming into picture, i need your suggestions on planning this movement, both for me & my pet ! please help
kri$hna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 15:34   #2602
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 88
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
Hi BHPians

I had earlier posted pics of my beloved pet TIGER, a short haired german shepherd dog. Currently, he is in Hyd, enjoying a 400sq Yard house, all for himself. He maintains a very lean structure & is quite active when ppl are around. He is used to me & my wife going to office and coming back in the evening. Now, I have shifted to Bangalore and plan on purchasing an apartment in EC phase 1 (Neotown-smondoville).

It is a small flat with a terrace area (this terrace area is specifically because i ll have tiger here soon). I have never lived in an apartment earlier and its the same case with my Tiger as well. He is a lot used to being around me & my wife, so cant think of leaving him in hyd also.

What are the issues that can come up, staying with a pet in an apartment ? The area is abt 995sft with a small balcony (~89sft), which would be just about sufficient for a small family. With pet coming into picture, i need your suggestions on planning this movement, both for me & my pet ! please help
Hi @kri$hna,
Congrats on your new purchase. You mentioned "small flat 995 sqft, with terrace area " - In Mumbai this is a palace...

Coming to keeping a dog in a flat this is quite common here where you find stand alone houses in rarity, or at least they are too expensive. I am sure it will not be a problem keeping him in your flat as long as you give him regular walks and proper exercise daily and you also have a terrace which is a blessing for dog owners. Also I guess since you have been staying in a house earlier Tiger would be used to doing his poop outside, so you might want to train him to use the toilet at home or the terrace if he wants to do it. The reason I insist on training him to do it at home if he already is not doing it is because there are many dog owners who only let them do their stuff outside while on walks. The problem comes when if for some emerency (heavy rains/ somebody is sick etc) you are not able to take your dog outside then he will tend to control his urge and which might ultimately lead to complications - kidney stone, bladder problems etc. I know a couple of people who have faced this issue.

I have 3 dogs in my 2 bhk flat, 750 sqft approx, a labrador, a pug and a pomeranian and they are doing quite well.

Congratulations once again and hope Tiger enjoys his new home!!
nitin_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 16:23   #2603
BHPian
 
kri$hna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bhagyanagarabad
Posts: 231
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post
Hi @kri$hna,
Congrats on your new purchase. You mentioned "small flat 995 sqft, with terrace area " - In Mumbai this is a palace...

Coming to keeping a dog in a flat this is quite common here where you find stand alone houses in rarity, or at least they are too expensive. I am sure it will not be a problem keeping him in your flat as long as you give him regular walks and proper exercise daily and you also have a terrace which is a blessing for dog owners. Also I guess since you have been staying in a house earlier Tiger would be used to doing his poop outside, so you might want to train him to use the toilet at home or the terrace if he wants to do it. The reason I insist on training him to do it at home if he already is not doing it is because there are many dog owners who only let them do their stuff outside while on walks. The problem comes when if for some emerency (heavy rains/ somebody is sick etc) you are not able to take your dog outside then he will tend to control his urge and which might ultimately lead to complications - kidney stone, bladder problems etc. I know a couple of people who have faced this issue.

I have 3 dogs in my 2 bhk flat, 750 sqft approx, a labrador, a pug and a pomeranian and they are doing quite well.

Congratulations once again and hope Tiger enjoys his new home!!
Thanks buddy ! not yet purchased but almost there

If not for Tiger, I would have purchased a flat 2 months ago for almost 60% of the cost i'll pay now, but that would not have a balcony or a terrace (a balcony with higher ceiling).

So considering this lovely companion, i have delayed my purchase untill i get a suitable flat. I wanted the balcony facing east, so that he doesn't face much sunlight during his sleeping time of 2 to 5pm and many such things. It was tough to locate one fitting my criteria driven by tiger's needs. Finally found one and will be taking it soon (in a week or so)

I need your suggestion on training also. I havent trained him to use the bathroom. Instead, me & tiger get wet in rain going out for his poo (yea, this annoys my wife when we come back & spoil the house). He is not trained to hold his bowels either, I have received a few complaints from outsiders saying, tiger pees from the sitout onto the walkway and he often identifies the right people (whom i hate) to piss off this way.

Any help with this training would be useful, because i dont want to earn enemies in my new apartment complex once i move in, couple of months down the line. He is trained not to bark too much, sleeps almost immediately after i leave to office, doesn't pee inside the house where I sleep/sit/use the spaces.
kri$hna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 16:30   #2604
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: CHENNAI
Posts: 386
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Pug 2 yr old has a rash like on his neck region(beneath the mouth)
has lost hair

Folks.
This started abt 2 months back and i suspected the collar to be culprit and had it removed recently.Unfortunately my son took him to vet but did not raise this .
After removal of collar also i do not see any improvement, he feels scratchy looks like.
Pls advice on remedy.

cheers
PRADEEP KUMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 16:56   #2605
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 88
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
Thanks buddy ! not yet purchased but almost there

If not for Tiger, I would have purchased a flat 2 months ago for almost 60% of the cost i'll pay now, but that would not have a balcony or a terrace (a balcony with higher ceiling).

So considering this lovely companion, i have delayed my purchase untill i get a suitable flat. I wanted the balcony facing east, so that he doesn't face much sunlight during his sleeping time of 2 to 5pm and many such things. It was tough to locate one fitting my criteria driven by tiger's needs. Finally found one and will be taking it soon (in a week or so)

I need your suggestion on training also. I havent trained him to use the bathroom. Instead, me & tiger get wet in rain going out for his poo (yea, this annoys my wife when we come back & spoil the house). He is not trained to hold his bowels either, I have received a few complaints from outsiders saying, tiger pees from the sitout onto the walkway and he often identifies the right people (whom i hate) to piss off this way.

Any help with this training would be useful, because i dont want to earn enemies in my new apartment complex once i move in, couple of months down the line. He is trained not to bark too much, sleeps almost immediately after i leave to office, doesn't pee inside the house where I sleep/sit/use the spaces.

The most popular technique for toilet training is reprimanding (NO - BAD BOY) the dog whenever he does it anywhere other than the toilet and quickly lifting him and taking it to the toilet (though in your case Tiger cant be picked up and taken to the loo..). Give him a treat as soon as he finishes. Also in case the dog has done it somewhere in the living area, keep the cloth used to wipe out that area in the toilet so that he knows from the scent that the toilet is the place where it is supposed to be done. Also if taken out for walks you could let him do it at the place where you want him to and then treat him to something - useful to carry small treats in the pocket while on walks...A firm tug at the leash accompanied with a NO, if he tries lifting his leg to do it somewhere unwanted also works.

These techniques have worked very well for me - though my pug occasionally does it on newly ironed shirts or bedsheets if found unattended...

In addition to this I have read a lot of other tips from different forums on the net. Good to take a look. There was this show on NGC about this guy Ceaser Milan about dog training, we used to watch it regularly.

German Shepherds among the top 5 intelligent breeds of dogs and am sure he wont take time in picking up these habits.
nitin_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 17:23   #2606
BHPian
 
kri$hna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bhagyanagarabad
Posts: 231
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post

In addition to this I have read a lot of other tips from different forums on the net. Good to take a look. There was this show on NGC about this guy Ceaser Milan about dog training, we used to watch it regularly.
My wife used to watch this show regularly. I somehow missed it most of the time as it was aired exactly at the walking time of me & tiger i believe.

Quote:
German Shepherds among the top 5 intelligent breeds of dogs and am sure he wont take time in picking up these habits.
Yea.. I am pretty sure he will ! He picks up habits good/bad very easily and I struggle to him rid of those sometimes. For Ex. He likes to pee on car tyres, and he does so with pride on all the cars in our neighbourhood. I used to like it earlier, but now, he seems to be obsessed with that habit and my wife complains that she just cant control him when theres a car parked and waiting for him !!

Will have to try training him for using the bathroom now i believe. Thanks for your inputs.
kri$hna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 09:23   #2607
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: CHENNAI
Posts: 386
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Pug 2 yr old has a rash like on his neck region(beneath the mouth)
has lost hair

Folks.
This started abt 2 months back and i suspected the collar to be culprit and had it removed recently.Unfortunately my son took him to vet but did not raise this .
After removal of collar also i do not see any improvement, he feels scratchy looks like.
Pls advice on remedy.

cheers

Pls advice folks.
cheers
PRADEEP KUMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 10:00   #2608
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,056
Thanked: 3,245 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Pls advice folks.
cheers
Skin condition.
Best option is to take him to the vet ASAP specifically for this.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 13:14   #2609
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 88
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Pls advice folks.
cheers
Looks like dermatitis or mange, very common in pugs. They are prone to skin infections due to the folds in their skins. My pug (2 yrs old) has got it a couple of times but recovered with treatment - betadine lotion with some other tablets and lotions.

On the other hand it could also be a very insignificant rash. Best to confirm from the vet.

Some precautions to be taken with pugs -
- Avoid taking them too close to stray dogs
- Avoid taking them to bushy or areas where theres a lot of garbage etc.
- Clean their feet and mouth very well after walks or outings and also wipe their face after they eat their food.

Pugs are generally low in resistance and pick up infections very easily. Need extra care while being dealt with.
nitin_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 13:28   #2610
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: CHENNAI
Posts: 386
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post
Looks like dermatitis or mange, very common in pugs. They are prone to skin infections due to the folds in their skins. My pug (2 yrs old) has got it a couple of times but recovered with treatment - betadine lotion with some other tablets and lotions.

On the other hand it could also be a very insignificant rash. Best to confirm from the vet.

Some precautions to be taken with pugs -
- Avoid taking them too close to stray dogs
- Avoid taking them to bushy or areas where theres a lot of garbage etc.
- Clean their feet and mouth very well after walks or outings and also wipe their face after they eat their food.

Pugs are generally low in resistance and pick up infections very easily. Need extra care while being dealt with.

Thanks Nitin.
Am following all that you mentioned from day one hence we are surprised at this.
Anyways will take him to the vet.

Most importantly - the guy wakes up daily around 3 am and runs around at times to ease himself but he does not sleep for 7 hours continuously and wakes all of us up as well.
Any solution.?
tx
tx

Last edited by PRADEEP KUMAR : 21st March 2012 at 13:31.
PRADEEP KUMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Travelling with Pets in India recker_us Route / Travel Queries 32 18th October 2016 06:04
BHPians and their pets jacs Shifting gears 2 22nd May 2013 22:38
2 BHPians and their photo-trip to the 150-year old Rosary Church, Shettihalli rjstyles69 Travelogues 31 9th February 2013 14:37
Aston Martin Opens their showroom in New Delhi, their 2nd Dealership in India Ace F355 Super-Cars & Imports in India 1 19th May 2012 20:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:52.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks