Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2012, 23:33   #2881
Senior - BHPian
 
W.A.G.7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,089
Thanked: 712 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Till then, here's a picture of one of them. Will be posting more pictures as and when the opportunity and time permits!

Attachment 969536
Super cute Sometimes I wish, I should get one, the urge is strong. But after my favourite cat expired in February this year, I find it difficult to keep another one. Can you please post in more pictures ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
sorry i'm not an expert when it comes to cats and dogs but are those lice near the kitten's eyes?
No, those aren't lice. I think they are secretions from the eyes. The kitten will soon learn to clean them by itself.
W.A.G.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 23:44   #2882
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,600
Thanked: 6,686 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Lice are far too tiny to see and identify in a photo like that. I suspect deathwalkr is thinking of ticks?
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 10:02   #2883
BHPian
 
deathwalkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 611
Thanked: 411 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

@Thad: Ticks! yes thats what i meant thanks
deathwalkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 10:35   #2884
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 46
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
sorry i'm not an expert when it comes to cats and dogs but are those lice near the kitten's eyes?
Those aren't lice. It's discharge from the eyes. It happens to dogs too, they usually rub their heads on carpets or beds to clean it.
rayjaycleoful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 02:24   #2885
BHPian
 
Arunshek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Heilbronn, DE
Posts: 66
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Hi all,

I have a 3 yr old dog in Trivandrum. Chucky stays with my Mom and Dad. I'm staying in Navi Mumbai. Now my parents are going to visit me and planning to stay with me for 2-3 months. Mom has pampered her so much that she eats only if any one of us is near her.
Our concern is where can we keep Chucky so that she's well looked after in our absence.
We checked out a dog boarding in TVM, But not sure if Chucky will be eating well, because last time Mom kept her at this place for a period of 4 days, the owner said Chucky barely ate once in 2 days.
So I'm planning to ask Mom to bring Chucky to Mumbai on flight, provided I can find a dog hostel/boarding in and around Navi Mumbai ( Read: Mulund, Thane, Airoli, Vashi). If so least I can visit her daily and make sure she's fine.
I have also given a thought on the alternative of keeping her in my apartment, but will society allow, Will my 7ft*2ft balcony be good for her; I need to check.
Any suggestions is most welcome.
Arunshek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 07:52   #2886
Senior - BHPian
 
ninjatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BOM
Posts: 1,593
Thanked: 1,166 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
sorry i'm not an expert when it comes to cats and dogs but are those lice near the kitten's eyes?
As @W.A.G.7 & @rayjaycleoful correctly identified, that is just the extract from it's eyes - more than the kitten, the mom will help clean it up soon.

Having said that, the kittens do need to be deflead, probably a month later from now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Super cute Sometimes I wish, I should get one, the urge is strong. But after my favourite cat expired in February this year, I find it difficult to keep another one. Can you please post in more pictures ??
Currently not doing that, as they are still too small - once they start roaming on their own and are able to eat/drink on their own, will (take &) put up more pictures.

Btw, you should get back to having one more. I understand what you mentioned - but I feel this is the best solution to that. And of course, these kittens will be given away by my neighbor once they grow up. Do tell if interested
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 10:56   #2887
Senior - BHPian
 
KarthikK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,916
Thanked: 3,481 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arunshek View Post
Hi all,

I have a 3 yr old dog in Trivandrum. Chucky stays with my Mom and Dad. I'm staying in Navi Mumbai. Now my parents are going to visit me and planning to stay with me for 2-3 months. Mom has pampered her so much that she eats only if any one of us is near her.
Our concern is where can we keep Chucky so that she's well looked after in our absence.
We checked out a dog boarding in TVM, But not sure if Chucky will be eating well, because last time Mom kept her at this place for a period of 4 days, the owner said Chucky barely ate once in 2 days.
So I'm planning to ask Mom to bring Chucky to Mumbai on flight, provided I can find a dog hostel/boarding in and around Navi Mumbai ( Read: Mulund, Thane, Airoli, Vashi). If so least I can visit her daily and make sure she's fine.
I have also given a thought on the alternative of keeping her in my apartment, but will society allow, Will my 7ft*2ft balcony be good for her; I need to check.
Any suggestions is most welcome.
No matter what boarding kennel it is, they will not match the amount of care and hygiene level the dog receives at home. My suggestion is - keep her in your apartment itself. I don't believe anyone in the apartment will object to the dog, provided you take her out for the necessary stuff every day , without dirtying the apartment premises. Even if they do object, tell them it is only for a few months when your parents are staying with you.

If you want to leave her in the balcony, it is a strong recipe for complaints, because lonely dogs will develop the habit of barking (which other residents will object to). Why not keep her indoors if your parents are going to be at home during the day?

P.S - dog boarding will not be cheap. Decent ones charge anywhere between 400-800 per day, and that is excluding food costs. With a 3-4 month period, it will very well reach an astronomical amount of 50-60k . Home is the best (and safest) option in my opinion. Hope that helped!

Last edited by KarthikK : 16th August 2012 at 10:59.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 01:33   #2888
BHPian
 
Arunshek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Heilbronn, DE
Posts: 66
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
No matter what boarding kennel it is, they will not match the amount of care and hygiene level the dog receives at home. My suggestion is - keep her in your apartment itself. I don't believe anyone in the apartment will object to the dog, provided you take her out for the necessary stuff every day , without dirtying the apartment premises. Even if they do object, tell them it is only for a few months when your parents are staying with you.
Yes, Thanks for your thoughtful inputs Karthik. It will definitely help in my final decision. I too is inclined in keep her with me, but let me see how things stack up
Arunshek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 18:02   #2889
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 269
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Anyone interested in adopting a healthy 10 months old male Golden Lab in Delhi may get in touch with me. He is in perfect healthy and hyper active. My parents are unable to look after him due to his hyper activity.
WanderNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 23:18   #2890
BHPian
 
callvvijay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 249
Thanked: 143 Times
Smile Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Finally, got some time to upload the photos of our 3-Musketeers!! Have got loads of photos to upload - but limiting to a few here.

We had adopted 3 kittens (2F/1M) way back in June2011 and then thought of giving them away again for some reasons (all these details posted in this thread earlier) . Thanks to advice from other pet-owners that we are now a very happy 7-member family (4 2-legged and 3 4-legged )

The two girls - Sweety (Black & White - Calico) and Sony (White) fighting for a pen! Guessing by the size of both, this should be an old photo.
Name:  20110802 21.41.33.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  62.5 KB

Taking rest along with me.
Name:  20110827 17.11.57.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  95.3 KB

A cuddly-cuddly nap!
Name:  20110831 18.31.12.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  91.0 KB

Tabby with yours truly!
Name:  20111008 14.53.08.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  98.5 KB

Sony, busy watching Animal Planet where one of her family members - a tiger - just hunted a buffalo.
Name:  20120122 19.49.32.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  77.7 KB

Ufff! Why this kolaveri to disturb me
Name:  20111123 09.01.35.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  130.1 KB

Our in-house front-load washing machine engineer, Sony!
Name:  20120331 09.44.401.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  17.1 KB

Nopes! We will not let you take the car out.
Name:  20120605 21.33.55.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  72.3 KB

Sony taking a fantastic rest after a hectic day.
Name:  20120722 10.28.40.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  109.0 KB

For those who did not know who prayed the most for Saina Nehwal during Olympics, its our own Tabby!
Name:  20120803 21.55.21.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  86.6 KB

And, for those who did not know who enjoyed her success the most!
Name:  20120805 18.59.46.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  90.3 KB

Cheers!

Last edited by callvvijay : 3rd September 2012 at 23:25.
callvvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 08:54   #2891
Senior - BHPian
 
navpreet318's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 1,700
Thanked: 808 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Here is my rottie THOR playing with a iron rod. He loves things which are heavy or noisy! Give him a superbike tire and he'll lug it around all day. Hive him an empty gas cylinder(full size) and he'll toss it around all day long!



Last edited by navpreet318 : 4th September 2012 at 09:12.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 12:24   #2892
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lucknow/Gurgaon
Posts: 1,023
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

I have added a silver arowana on a seperate tank, this one is around 7" and looks really good. the earlier arowana which i bought had some broken fins and that is why did not survived. but this one is quite nice one. it costed me 1200 only
ruchirtnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 16:23   #2893
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 36
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Here is my brother "Gunda". He is five and a half years old. Very obedient and quite. Loves to sleep. After all this while with him, its difficult to imagine my family without him. We usually feed him pedigree with half boiled egg along with diluted milk in the morning and home food (usually curd or milk rice in the night (not too heavy) in the night.

He is a strict diet dog and gets fed only twice a day with fixed quantity. Never asks for more. Off late I have started giving him nutri choice from Virbac. A calcium and vitamin supplement. Not that he needed it but Vet suggested as it might help keeping his bone and coat well.

The first two pics are when he was 3 yrs old and the last three pics is from last year's K1000 rally. Me and my friend took him to shiddlghatta (spelling) for the rally and he seemed to be quite intrested in the sport (look at the last pic )
Attached Images
     
Srinidhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 18:19   #2894
BHPian
 
Googleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Blore/Jmshedpur
Posts: 240
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Very rare to see a fit lab.

Also, most vets suggest one heavy meal only in a day for an adult pet dog, unless he/she works out really well.
Googleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 21:40   #2895
BHPian
 
lazybrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bangalore/Mangalore
Posts: 191
Thanked: 91 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srinidhi
Here is my brother "Gunda". He is five and a half years old. Very obedient and quite. Loves to sleep. After all this while with him, its difficult to imagine my family without him. We usually feed him pedigree with half boiled egg along with diluted milk in the morning and home food (usually curd or milk rice in the night (not too heavy) in the night.

He is a strict diet dog and gets fed only twice a day with fixed quantity. Never asks for more. Off late I have started giving him nutri choice from Virbac. A calcium and vitamin supplement. Not that he needed it but Vet suggested as it might help keeping his bone and coat well.

The first two pics are when he was 3 yrs old and the last three pics is from last year's K1000 rally. Me and my friend took him to shiddlghatta (spelling) for the rally and he seemed to be quite intrested in the sport (look at the last pic )

I too own a male lab who is 4 years old now. Just wanted to suggest you something which you posted above:

1. Avoid feeding milk to your lab. Dogs have lactose intolerance and milk is a definite NO. Yogurt which you feed him is rich in calcium and best replacement for milk.

2. Instead of giving him half boiled egg, give him raw egg. Read somewhere that raw egg helps to keep his coat healthy.


BTW your Gunda is very cute. Will love to introduce my naughty cookie to him one day. Below is latest pic of my cookie :P




Name:  image968966089.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  417.6 KB

Last edited by lazybrain : 5th September 2012 at 21:42.
lazybrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Travelling with Pets in India recker_us Route / Travel Queries 32 18th October 2016 06:04
BHPians and their pets jacs Shifting gears 2 22nd May 2013 22:38
2 BHPians and their photo-trip to the 150-year old Rosary Church, Shettihalli rjstyles69 Travelogues 31 9th February 2013 14:37
Aston Martin Opens their showroom in New Delhi, their 2nd Dealership in India Ace F355 Super-Cars & Imports in India 1 19th May 2012 20:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:22.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks