Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2012, 21:19   #2911
BHPian
 
Googleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Blore/Jmshedpur
Posts: 240
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
My 12 year old cutie (English Cocker Spaniel) has been attacked by an infestation of ticks. She doesn't venture out much due to her age and all her essentials are taken care on the building terrace. Have tried all those tick powder, Redol etc but the ticks keeps coming back again and again.

Those blood suckers has found furniture / wall crevices a nice place to hide. Some even ventured on to our bed which worried us.

Any helpful solution for this guys.

Go for RIDD. Not only ticks, all the insects will disappear. Tried and tested.
Googleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2012, 21:48   #2912
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 46
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
I have female black labrador. She's going to turn three on the 14th. Got her when she was 2 and a half months old. She comes from a healthy family. Her father is a black lab whereas her mother is
Guys Cleo turned three exactly a month ago. Since the age of 5 months till now she has been eating the same food everyday which is : a cup of milk after her morning walk (730 am) a khichidi type of meal with deboned chicken (930am) and pedigree/royal canine (7pm)
Till about 4 months ago she was in the right weight zone (about 30 kgs) and we used to sometimes make fun of her for being a "thin" lab :P . However her weight has increased excessively because of shorter walks. My dog absolutely hates walks, till recently carrying a biscuit and giving it to her at the end of the walk would encourage her to walk along but now even that doesn't work. Typically during each "walk" she goes down, finishes her business and drags the person walking her,home. We've marginally decreased her food since last month but it hasn't brought any changes. Also, her hind legs are very very thin and seem weak and I feel this may cause problems later on.

Could you suggest some tips on how to make my dog get more exercise? We simply cannot bear to see an unknown person beating her to make her walk so dog walkers (who might have their own methods) are out of the question.
rayjaycleoful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2012, 19:12   #2913
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,098
Thanked: 979 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
My 12 year old cutie (English Cocker Spaniel) has been attacked by an infestation of ticks. She doesn't venture out much due to her age and all her essentials are taken care on the building terrace. Have tried all those tick powder, Redol etc but the ticks keeps coming back again and again.

Those blood suckers has found furniture / wall crevices a nice place to hide. Some even ventured on to our bed which worried us.

Any helpful solution for this guys.
You have to adopt a two pronged strategy.

1. get rid of the ticks from her body - give a bath with a good anti tick shampoo.

2. Get rid of the ticks from the house. Please note that after a prolonged infestation ticks will be found in every nook and corner. Best to get "Pest Control" done in the whole house. This will not only get rid of the ticks but also other pests.

One of the reasons for tick infestation is low immunity due to age. Consult a doctor to boost immunity. I give my Labrador a lot of garlic and turmeric in the rice meal we make every five days. That boosts the immune system and ensures that ticks do not multiply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
Guys Cleo turned three exactly a month ago. Since the age of 5 months till now she has been eating the same food everyday which is : a cup of milk after her morning walk (730 am) a khichidi type of meal with deboned chicken (930am) and pedigree/royal canine (7pm)
Till about 4 months ago she was in the right weight zone (about 30 kgs) and we used to sometimes make fun of her for being a "thin" lab :P . However her weight has increased excessively because of shorter walks. My dog absolutely hates walks, till recently carrying a biscuit and giving it to her at the end of the walk would encourage her to walk along but now even that doesn't work. Typically during each "walk" she goes down, finishes her business and drags the person walking her,home. We've marginally decreased her food since last month but it hasn't brought any changes. Also, her hind legs are very very thin and seem weak and I feel this may cause problems later on.

Could you suggest some tips on how to make my dog get more exercise? We simply cannot bear to see an unknown person beating her to make her walk so dog walkers (who might have their own methods) are out of the question.
A fat Lab is a fact of life as they love to eat a lot (more than is good for them). If you are a non vegetarian, give less rice/roti and more meat (mutton is best), which can either be cooked without salt and spices or raw.

From what you have described, your dog is not enjoying the walks. If you have any isolated back lane, take the dog there, release her and let her explore. That may get her interested.

As you have noticed her legs are weak. That happens if you overfeed large dogs for the first two years. Change the diet immediately to high protein low carbohydrate. High carbohydrate does not give much satisfaction so they tend to eat a lot, gain weight at an early stage and develop weak hid quarters.

Here is what I make -

In a 5L pressure cooker
. put chopped vegetables to half height
. Put two or three table spoons of garlic - chopped or paste
. One tea spoon of turmeric
. Half kg "Parboiled Rice" - this has a lot of vitamins. Buy the cheapest variety you can get, they have better nutritional value. We get it for around Rs.22/kg.
. Two to three table spoons of fat or oil.
. Half a kilo of mutton, preferably the pieces from ribs. In case there is no meat substitute with quarter kilo of moong dal.

Cook it well. The above will yeald ten containers of food - twice a day, five days.

Apart from this we regularly get the Chicken Carcass - bones left after they strip the chicken to make boneless chicken. On an average one carcass every week. In you case you may give half a carcass a day to build the muscles up.

After going through tens of sites, I have come to the conclusion that commercial food are neither warranted nor any better for dogs when compared to home cooked food. Many US sites have found that the commercial dry food induces the dogs; especially Labradors; to eat too much.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2012, 22:37   #2914
BHPian
 
MuzzledMoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: THRISSUR
Posts: 185
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra
My 12 year old cutie (English Cocker Spaniel) has been attacked by an infestation of ticks. She doesn't venture out much due to her age and all her essentials are taken care on the building terrace. Have tried all those tick powder, Redol etc but the ticks keeps coming back again and again.

Those blood suckers has found furniture / wall crevices a nice place to hide. Some even ventured on to our bed which worried us.

Any helpful solution for this guys.
Get these three essential oils
1. Lavender
2. Citronella
3. Lemongrass

Mix 14 drops of lavender with 3 drops each of citronella and lemongrass to one glass of water and spray on the dog for a couple of weeks and the ticks and fleas will vanish. This is tried and tested on my GSD and no side effects.
MuzzledMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 07:08   #2915
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 5,304 Times
Default

There is a medicine called RIDD. Should be easily available at any good pharmacist or pet shop.
It is a good thing to use to keep ticks and parasites away.
Give the dog a warm bath with the normal shampoo such as Erina from Himalaya pharma.
Once the dog has dried off, mix a few drops of RIDD in a half bucket of water, wear a pair of rubber gloves, take hold of a light towel and soak it in this solution.
Remove the towel, wring it out while leaving plenty of water in it and squeeze it gently over the dog while massaging it in all the time. Keep dipping the towel in, till the solution is over. Especially the undersides, under the legs, along the spine, inside the ears etc. Dont foret under the paws, in between the toes and so on.
Then allow the solution to dry on the dog naturally.
This treatment has worked brilliantly on generations of my dogs. It is very effective in keeping ticks away!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 19:10   #2916
BHPian
 
arup.misra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 651
Thanked: 293 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Go for RIDD. Not only ticks, all the insects will disappear. Tried and tested.
Tried RIDD. Getting the house mopped using drops of RIDD but the effect wanes away quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
You have to adopt a two pronged strategy.

1. give a bath with a good anti tick shampoo.
2. Best to get "Pest Control" done in the whole house. This will not only get rid of the ticks but also other pests.
I use Himalaya. She doesn't seem to tolerate heavy anti tick shampoo even from her childhood. Tried the anti tick collar belt but she develops heavy cold and nausea post this.

You are right. Ticks are found in every nook & corners which becomes very difficult to clean in out everyday grind. Found out about Pest control - Neither Godrej nor PCI have a treatment specific for ticks. If you know any, it'll be of great help if you pass on some contacts

Will ask my vet for some immunity boosting tabs. We generally feed her one meal of cooked meat with turmeric, few drops of oil, ginger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
Get these three essential oils
Mix 14 drops of lavender with 3 drops each of citronella and lemongrass to one glass of water and spray on the dog for a couple of weeks and the ticks and fleas will vanish.
Thanks for this. Will definitely give this a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
There is a medicine called RIDD. Give the dog a warm bath with the normal shampoo such as Erina from Himalaya pharma. Once the dog has dried off, mix a few drops of RIDD in a half bucket of water, wear a pair of rubber gloves, take hold of a light towel and soak it in this solution.
Shankar, have tried using RIDD. Getting the house mopped using drops of RIDD but the effect wanes away quickly. On the RIDD-towel therapy, won't the chemicals on the skin cause any side effect? irritation?
arup.misra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 19:26   #2917
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: CHENNAI
Posts: 386
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Excessive Wax on left ear

My 2 year old pug has been having this issue for past 4 months.
Vet gave some ear drops -pomisol, calm ears etc but the problem persists.
No change in food habits etc.
Pls advice.

cheers,
PRADEEP KUMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 23:45   #2918
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,613
Thanked: 6,700 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

re ticks and fleas on cats and dogs.

the stuff where you put one drop on the back of the neck (eg Advantage) is very effective. It works for about a month before another application, and longer once the house is clear. Last time I got any, I had to import it. Could try asking the vet.

It is vital to note that this is available in different formulae for dogs and cats, and that the dog formula can be lethal to cats.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 01:37   #2919
BHPian
 
Googleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Blore/Jmshedpur
Posts: 240
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Tried RIDD. Getting the house mopped using drops of RIDD but the effect wanes away quickly.
You have to apply it on your dog's skin. Take 2ML of RIDD in 1 liter of water. Put the water in a vacant "collin" bottle and spray it on your dog's body avoiding eyes. You can also make sure the chemical reaches the skin by your fingers.

Similarly, spray a bit more concentrated mixture all around your house heavily. Each and every place your dog goes, and places RIDD is.

BTW, I once tried killing a tick by spraying Black HIT on it, and it instantly died
Googleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 07:10   #2920
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 5,304 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman

You have to apply it on your dog's skin. Take 2ML of RIDD in 1 liter of water. Put the water in a vacant "collin" bottle and spray it on your dog's body avoiding eyes. You can also make sure the chemical reaches the skin by your fingers.

Similarly, spray a bit more concentrated mixture all around your house heavily. Each and every place your dog goes, and places RIDD is.

BTW, I once tried killing a tick by spraying Black HIT on it, and it instantly died
Correct. The RIDD solution has to be worked into the dog's skin with one's fingers by massaging.
Do it diligently and see the results.

So far, I have not experienced any of my dogs suffering skin irritation on account of RIDD treatment. We have used this on several generations of dogs right from the early 1990's.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 09:03   #2921
BHPian
 
archat68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 669
Thanked: 182 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Correct. The RIDD solution has to be worked into the dog's skin with one's fingers by massaging.
Do it diligently and see the results.


So far, I have not experienced any of my dogs suffering skin irritation on account of RIDD treatment. We have used this on several generations of dogs right from the early 1990's.
And the Ridd has to be left on the dogs skin and coat to dry. No bathing for a week after applying Ridd. Ensure that your dog doesn't lick the skin/coat while the Ridd is still wet. After it dries there is no problem. Use a muzzle if necessary when applying Ridd.
archat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 10:16   #2922
Senior - BHPian
 
KarthikK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,916
Thanked: 3,482 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Forget RIDD. That's a thing of the past . There are repellants available today which are far more effective and easier to apply. In fact, they are effortless in application.

Try either of these 2 for long-lasting, guaranteed results :

1. K9 Advantix by Bayer - provides freedom from parasites for upto 45 days with 1 application. No parasite will even be able to latch onto your dog during this period, and the existing ones will just fall away within a day. Supremely effective and long lasting.

2. Cipla's Protector - similar to Advantix, with the difference being a reduced effectiveness of 30 days, but with the advantage that it removes parasites in the environment where the treated dog lives too. Advantix protects the dog, but doesn't do anything to control spread of parasites in the environment. If you fear your house is infested, better go for Protector and later shift to K9Advantix.

Both of them cost around 400 bucks for 1 treatment vial. The liquid in the vial needs to be applied between the shoulder blades (split the fur to create a gap where you can access skin) and then, avoid giving the dog a bath for 4-5 days after application. The dog will then be protected from all known parasites. Most breeders today in the show arena have already shifted to repellants today, and hardly anyone uses ineffective shampoos and powders nowadays.

Just my 2 cents.

P.S - I myself have been using it on my golden retriever since 2 years. I've been on numerous hikes and treks with her, plus the regular daily walks. I haven't seen a single tick or flea on her since 2010, from when I started using K9Advantix.

Last edited by KarthikK : 17th September 2012 at 10:20.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 11:42   #2923
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,613
Thanked: 6,700 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

That is the kind of thing I was thinking of. It seems expensive, but the main thing is that they work. Any of those creatures coming to your dog will drop dead. It takes a little while to clear the house, but once that is done you will have no ticks, no fleas, and you can make the application periods longer apart. My experience is based entirely on cats, but there is no reason to suppose that it is any different to dogs. I used to apply the "monthly" drop to my last London cat every three or four months.

This needs repeating whenever this stuff is talked about: Warning: The Canine formulation can kill a cat. One application can be lethal.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 14:52   #2924
BHPian
 
Abhi_abarth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 308
Thanked: 99 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

After much deliberation and research as to get a GSD or Labrador or adopt a stray dog I finally got home a Labrador pup from my relatives who had space problems. Thanks to fellow bhpians KarthikK & Kri$hna for patiently answering my queries.

I didn't went for the GSD or the adopted pet as this will be our first dog and none of us (mom, dad, me and wife) have any experience in handling dogs. And the temperament being un-predictable for both these breeds I thought a gentle breed like Lab should do.

Coming to our dog, brought this one on 23rd of June 2012, it has turned 6 months on 10th of September.

I need help on the below points, even the vets give just a high level information hence reaching out to all of you.

Issue No. 1 - Itching : I groom him twice daily, after morning walk and once I return from office and also keep checking for any fleas/ticks. Have been using Clinar-M (as advised by vet) for his weekly bath but his itching doesn't stop. Common places are behind his hind legs, tail and rear end. Our vet also suggested 'Dexona tab' but after a week the problem persists. His hair is also falling severely, I am aware of hair shredding in dogs but not sure if it has any schedule or if it's seasonal. We have his hair all over the place.

Issue No. 2 : Appetite: One fine day Brownie (that's his name) stopped eating, on an average we feed him every 3 hours but he didn't eat for an entire day. Took him to a vet who checked and said it's a liver dis function which is common in pups and prescribed 'Liverolin plus' for liver simulation. His appetite is fine since then but since 15 days he has been eating only twice or thrice a day i.e. early morning around 7.30 am, 2 pm and 7 pm. I have been feeding him on Pedigree Large breed, Puppy variant only. Used to mix it with milk but of late he prefers eating it dry. One Egg with pedigree is served after morning walk i.e. 7.30 am. Our Vet asked to start non-veg from next month i.e. when he reaches 7 months and since he is on 'Liverolin plus' medication. Please tell me if his appetite his normal since he has turned 6 months now and do they eat only twice a day going forward ? Till how long should i continue giving him packaged food and any alternates for it. I was also advised to give him calcium tonic till he reaches one year. His de-worming schedule is 10th of every month which i follow diligently.

Issue No. 3 : Potty training : The day i brought him in, he got down from the car and immediately peed inside our gate. That's it, since then that is the ONLY spot where he does his job. I even put a cloth at that spot and placed it outside and made him sniff it but it didn't work. No matter how far i take him to walk he only does it after he reaches home at his spot. This has become a problem for us now. No matter how hard we try to wash off the scent he manages to get it back.

Issue No. 4 : Doesn't bark : He rarely barks, and does bark only once if it happens (that too started recently). We use a leash only for walks, we don't even use a collar when he is inside.

Request your valuable advise. Some of them might be minor issues but being a first time dog owner they tend to worry all of us in our family.

Here are some pics :
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-1.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-2.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-3.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-4.jpg  

Abhi_abarth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 15:06   #2925
BHPian
 
MuzzledMoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: THRISSUR
Posts: 185
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth
After much deliberation and research as to get a GSD or Labrador or adopt a stray dog I finally got home a Labrador pup from my relatives who had space problems. Thanks to fellow bhpians KarthikK & Kri$hna for patiently answering my queries.

I didn't went for the GSD or the adopted pet as this will be our first dog and none of us (mom, dad, me and wife) have any experience in handling dogs. And the temperament being un-predictable for both these breeds I thought a gentle breed like Lab should do.

Coming to our dog, brought this one on 23rd of June 2012, it has turned 6 months on 10th of September.

I need help on the below points, even the vets give just a high level information hence reaching out to all of you.

Issue No. 1 - Itching : I groom him twice daily, after morning walk and once I return from office and also keep checking for any fleas/ticks. Have been using Clinar-M (as advised by vet) for his weekly bath but his itching doesn't stop. Common places are behind his hind legs, tail and rear end. Our vet also suggested 'Dexona tab' but after a week the problem persists. His hair is also falling severely, I am aware of hair shredding in dogs but not sure if it has any schedule or if it's seasonal. We have his hair all over the place.

Issue No. 2 : Appetite: One fine day Brownie (that's his name) stopped eating, on an average we feed him every 3 hours but he didn't eat for an entire day. Took him to a vet who checked and said it's a liver dis function which is common in pups and prescribed 'Liverolin plus' for liver simulation. His appetite is fine since then but since 15 days he has been eating only twice or thrice a day i.e. early morning around 7.30 am, 2 pm and 7 pm. I have been feeding him on Pedigree Large breed, Puppy variant only. Used to mix it with milk but of late he prefers eating it dry. One Egg with pedigree is served after morning walk i.e. 7.30 am. Our Vet asked to start non-veg from next month i.e. when he reaches 7 months and since he is on 'Liverolin plus' medication. Please tell me if his appetite his normal since he has turned 6 months now and do they eat only twice a day going forward ? Till how long should i continue giving him packaged food and any alternates for it. I was also advised to give him calcium tonic till he reaches one year. His de-worming schedule is 10th of every month which i follow diligently.

Issue No. 3 : Potty training : The day i brought him in, he got down from the car and immediately peed inside our gate. That's it, since then that is the ONLY spot where he does his job. I even put a cloth at that spot and placed it outside and made him sniff it but it didn't work. No matter how far i take him to walk he only does it after he reaches home at his spot. This has become a problem for us now. No matter how hard we try to wash off the scent he manages to get it back.

Issue No. 4 : Doesn't bark : He rarely barks, and does bark only once if it happens (that too started recently). We use a leash only for walks, we don't even use a collar when he is inside.

Request your valuable advise. Some of them might be minor issues but being a first time dog owner they tend to worry all of us in our family.

Here are some pics :
For the potty training stuff clean the place he does currently five times back to back with WHITE VINEGAR. This will remove the scent

Protector lotion is total waste of money. It stays only for 2 weeks. For the itching, it might be worth to try the essential oils mix is described on my last post. It simply works and no side effects. We have tried this successfully in four GSDs.

Labs seldom bark. Don't worry on that.
MuzzledMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Travelling with Pets in India recker_us Route / Travel Queries 32 18th October 2016 06:04
BHPians and their pets jacs Shifting gears 2 22nd May 2013 22:38
2 BHPians and their photo-trip to the 150-year old Rosary Church, Shettihalli rjstyles69 Travelogues 31 9th February 2013 14:37
Aston Martin Opens their showroom in New Delhi, their 2nd Dealership in India Ace F355 Super-Cars & Imports in India 1 19th May 2012 20:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks