Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 25th September 2012, 13:34   #2941
BHPian

Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
These one-drop flea-tick preparations are perfectly safe subject only to washing the hands after use, and not burying the nose in the animal's fur for at least a few hours. As far as I know, the danger to cats that I have mentioned is only in the case of direct application, although if anyone has a cat that likes to cuddle up to the dog, they'd better check this out.

That sounds fine. Although it might be fairer if dog and child take turns

Seriously, though, all children have to find their boundaries. I'm sure that finding mine involved getting some scratches and nips --- but I never lived with a dog that came anywhere near drawing blood. My parents probably beat me before I got anywhere near that level of dog annoying!

Of course, the parents' concern has to be the safety of the child.
@Thad,

thanks for the reply. I was held up with other work, so have to try out the repellent this weekend. But the danger to cats are always there whether I apply the repellent or not , but nowadays I wonder if its the other way around as I am seeing a lot of big Tom cats lurking around the compund wall( Milo is small, the kind you can carry around with one arm).
RajeswaranK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 14:43   #2942
Distinguished - BHPian

These products are not repellants, they are insecticides that kill fleas and ticks. If they were just repellents, the house would remain infested.

(Actually, if the infestation is more than minor, it is a good idea to treat the house as well, otherwise they will all still be there until they come in contact with the treated animal)

The danger to cats is in applying the dog formula to a cat, which can kill it. There are cat-specific drops that work for them.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 15:25   #2943
BHPian

Smile Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Hello Everyone,

I have been accepted very recently onto the community. I am from Hyderabad, apart from cars, always had a soft corner for dogs. I am quite amazed to see such a long thread for BHPians on their pets.

Well here is the culprit responsible for all the mess. Be it at home or at the back seat
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-picture-joint-items_1_11.jpg  

Amarendranath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 16:04   #2944
BHPian

Just after chasing a stray out of the colony.
Attached Images

Googleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 16:06   #2945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
.... Tablets are to be normally dosed at 1 tablet per 10kg of body weight, so the '3' part is not fixed actually. Maybe you are using 3 tabs because your adult GSD will be close to 30-35kg weight .
Karthik, i think there is another option of deworming as well ? injections ?

I am not sure, but want to know some info because i think my Tiger is allergic to tabs. Once in his puppy stages, i had given him 2 tabs of drontal and he ended up with loosies for a week!! Same thing happened in the next session of deworming when i used cantel. Since then it has been only injections for deworming and tiger is pretty much ok with injection stuff . Vet is always surprised when tiger happily sits without reacting to whatever injections are given, be it vaccines, deworming or antibiotics !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Hello Everyone,

I have been accepted very recently onto the community. I am from Hyderabad, apart from cars, always had a soft corner for dogs. I am quite amazed to see such a long thread for BHPians on their pets.

Well here is the culprit responsible for all the mess. Be it at home or at the back seat
Welcome to team-bhp and welcome to the pet fraternity !! Your lab looks cute and fit, unlike the usually fat/obese overfed labs I see everyday everywhere.
kri$hna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 16:10   #2946
BHPian

Thank you,

He is on this Early Cardiac Diet. and regular walks took care of obesity. Will share more pics as the thread continues.
Amarendranath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 07:26   #2947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
Karthik, i think there is another option of deworming as well ? injections ?

I am not sure, but want to know some info because i think my Tiger is allergic to tabs. Once in his puppy stages, i had given him 2 tabs of drontal and he ended up with loosies for a week!! Same thing happened in the next session of deworming when i used cantel. Since then it has been only injections for deworming and tiger is pretty much ok with injection stuff . Vet is always surprised when tiger happily sits without reacting to whatever injections are given, be it vaccines, deworming or antibiotics !!
Yes, there are injections available too, in fact just 1 choice - it is called 'Droncit' (by Bayer) and it is the sister product of Bayer's Drontal tablets.

To my knowledge, Droncit is more effective against tapeworms than anything else. It is not as effective against the bigger danger (heartworms) and other stomach parasites, as compared to conventional tabs. This is simply because the pills will simply finish off the pests in the digestive system much more effectively since they are directly in contact with the medication when taken orally. My recommendation would still be with the tabs. You can give Droncit a try though.

A small fact - Droncit is known for producing many side effects, much more than its tablet sibling Drontal . Very few people go for this because there are easier options available. You can give it a try and see how tiger reacts to it though. If not, you can stick to syrup. Normally, syrup is only given to puppies but just be sure to adjust the dosage for an adult dog.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 17:51   #2948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
1. Red Skin - Give him Glossy coat, issue with resolved within 1 week.

Thank you buddy, will do it. Your Zozo got macho looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post

Sounds like it is crossing the overfeeding line by a mile. On a lighter note, I wouldn't mind being in the dog's place if I were so well fed *lol*.

A proper schedule would be something like this
Thank you for that detailed information buddy, appreciate it. Out of 3 vets I have come across not even one of them couldn't give such clear instructions.

Now, please suggest me on the brand to switch over from Pedigree. Eukanuba, Science Plan or Royal Cannin.

Royal Cannin seems to be the costliest.

I have started feeding him Chicken liver on Sunday's boiled with rice, little turmeric and garlic. He is loving the food. We also give him carrots which he loves.
Abhi_abarth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 18:39   #2949
BHPian

Here's my Angel. She is the darling of household. We adopted her last year from fellow BHPian JasonByrne but it's difficult to believe that she has been with us only for 19 months.

She loves her share of car rides. Cleaning Crusoe (my car) afterwards is a challenge.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-angel-1.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-angel-2.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-angel-3.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-angel-4.jpg
Biraj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 21:07   #2950
BHPian

Smiling Bhuku!!! My son captured her smile
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-p1010673.jpg  

archat68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 21:48   #2951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Here's my Angel. She is the darling of household. We adopted her last year from fellow BHPian JasonByrne but it's difficult to believe that she has been with us only for 19 months.

She loves her share of car rides. Cleaning Crusoe (my car) afterwards is a challenge.

She's adorable. Absolutely!
Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Smiling Bhuku!!! My son captured her smile
Thats not a smile, thats a smirk, and with that name, its probably for "whats next on the menu?"
Real pretty!!
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 21:51   #2952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

Thats not a smile, thats a smirk, and with that name, its probably for "whats next on the menu?"
Real pretty!!
Actually that's after a dinner of some chicken pasta and strawberry ice cream .
archat68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 23:33   #2953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Thank you for that detailed information buddy, appreciate it. Out of 3 vets I have come across not even one of them couldn't give such clear instructions.
Glad to know it helped you

Quote:
Now, please suggest me on the brand to switch over from Pedigree. Eukanuba, Science Plan or Royal Cannin.

Royal Cannin seems to be the costliest.
Pedigree is among the lowest quality readymade food brands. I suggest you switch him away from it. Earlier the better. It has of late developed an infamous reputation for causing serious allergies and food poisoning.

In terms of food quality and overall reputation, here is the order from best to worst :
Hill's Science Plan > Royal Canin = Eukanaba > Pedigree = Nutripet

In case you are going for RoyalCanin, you can either opt for Labrador specific food, or else take the RoyalCanin Maxi Junior for the 26-45kg weight range (Labradors fall in this range). Just for information, Maxi Junior is upto the age of 18 months. After this you can switch to RC Maxi Adult 26-45kg.

My recommendation would be Hill's Science plan. It is a wonderful product that's quickly gaining reputation mileage in the show arena. RC is decent too, been there for a long time. RC costs more than SciencePlan? Actually a 3kg pack of Science plan costs the same as a 4kg pack of RoyalCanin, so its the other way around *lol*

Quote:
I have started feeding him Chicken liver on Sunday's boiled with rice, little turmeric and garlic. He is loving the food. We also give him carrots which he loves.
Carrots are good for the teeth too. Spare him the garlic! When consumed in a decently large quantity, it can lead to a potentially fatal condition called Hemolytic Anemia. Onion even in small doses can be fatal for the same reason. Garlic belongs to the same family but carries a lesser risk than onion. Some here may argue with me that they've been feeding garlic for years. Fact is, when it is unknown how much quantity leads to poisoning in a particular dog (Each dog is different), its better to be safe than sorry. Cut out the garlic from his diet when you know that its a risky proposition. If you are feeding garlic because of the anti-parasite properties, use a repellant instead for parasites.

Last edited by KarthikK : 27th September 2012 at 23:43.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 00:34   #2954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Thanks Mayankk! After a long (mostly stressful) day in office, she is the best stress-buster one can get.

Here's a pic of her, when she refuses to come back after a long walk.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-angel.jpg
Biraj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2012, 20:56   #2955

I had always been keen on keeping pets at home since I was a teenager. To be precision I had kept a 14 dogs in my 30 year age. Posting my pet's pix, who recently passed away on 4th Aug'12, after a good living of 12 years. Her name is Dolly. I always feel that pets are great stress busters like many of my mates here at Team-Bhp family.
Love u and miss you Doll.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dolly-1.jpg  

absnation is offline   Reply With Quote