Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 14th February 2013, 13:43   #3091
BHPian

Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Folks with Golden Retriever and Labradors, have been wanting to ask this for a long time.
Retrievers aren't high maintenance at all! Our Lab has been with us for about 4 years now. He was adopted from a "pyoor veg" couple when he was 7 months old, and all he ate was chapatis. His diet now consists of milk, chapatis, bread, boiled egg and a handful of Pedigree every day. Basically, whatever we eat ourselves (no, we don't eat dog food!) He's grown from a sickly, snotty-nosed kid into a strapping, military-mannered show-dog.

Vaccinations aren't expensive. Deworming every three months and annual immunisation. Annual expense of Rs. 850 at our vet in Koramangala.

Do note that Labradors are prone to hip problems in their middle/old age, and require a fair amount of exercise more than anything. They are also very people-friendly, and suffer from "separation anxiety" if left alone for long periods (vet advice, and our Cassius tells us himself!).

Dogs do not take kindly to variations in diet and routine. Cassie loves his strict regimen which includes 3km walk/trot (30min), comb&brush every day (15 min), a car ride every weekend (variable) and lots of love (unlimited) from his parents. Thats all a dog asks for, nothing expensive.

Lastly, if you are considering adopting and don't have anyone specific in mind just yet, please do consider getting an Indian dog. There are a lot of them in pounds. They can be the most loving, dutiful and faithful animals you can find!

Completely unsolicited advice, but after experiencing the love that three adopted street dogs can give, it feels good to tell someone

All the best with the new puppy when she/he arrives! Do remember to post some pics and the story!

Cheers,
Rahul
voodoochild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2013, 14:11   #3092
BHPian

I completely agree with the post above from voodoochild. Indian dogs make amazing pets. I have two adopted Indian dogs, one male, one female.They don't let any strangers into the house and are constant shadows for us.

Here's a few pictures I clicked at an Indian puppy adoption camp recently, to nudge you closer to adopt an Indian pup. (BTW, this was an unusual event in the sense that there were people lining up and waiting for hours in line to adopt the puppies, they actually ran out of puppies to place.)
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dog_adoption_camp_symbiosis3.jpg  

Attached Images

sidkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2013, 18:20   #3093
Senior - BHPian

Guys, a friend informed me that there are 8 Beagle pups available for adoption at CUPA - Bangalore. If anyone is interested please contact them directly.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2013, 18:46   #3094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Guys, a friend informed me that there are 8 Beagle pups available for adoption at CUPA - Bangalore. If anyone is interested please contact them directly.
I'm in touch with them. Theyre lab beagles, 2-3 years old. Getting one over is turning into a problem.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2013, 22:48   #3095
Distinguished - BHPian

Isn't adopting 2-3 year old dogs a challenge in terms of adjustment for the dog itself? I always felt adopting them young as pups was the best way. BTW what kind of experiments were these poor souls subjected to?
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2013, 22:55   #3096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Isn't adopting 2-3 year old dogs a challenge in terms of adjustment for the dog itself? I always felt adopting them young as pups was the best way. BTW what kind of experiments were these poor souls subjected to?
http://bloggers-bark.blogspot.in/201...alore.html?m=1

I don't know what experiments were carried out, probably some drug/cosmetic thing.
But, it shouldn't be an issue adopting them, as they are apparently toilet trained, and quite friendly, and also gone now. Last I heard, all were taken. So, good news,right there.

Edit:do get in touch with them though, if anyone is interested .there are a few 3-5 year olds left. And trust me, beagles are enormous fun to have around.

Last edited by mayankk : 15th February 2013 at 23:08.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 17:17   #3097
BHPian

Does any know of any good breeders or kennels in Delhi, NCR region, we are looking for a new Dog, but the kennels I have visited in Gurgaon are there just to make money, it seems. 45,000 for a Lab. And the conditions of the dogs was heart wrenching.

Please help with a good honest breeder. I need a guard dog but being a first time owner, don't want to go for the advanced breeds.

OT - Has anyone seen a Ovcharka or a Caucasian Sheapard dog, I saw one and the guy was asking for 2.5 Laks for a new pup. Imported from Russia or Georgia.

My god this dog was bigger than a lion, It's bark can make someone soil their pants. Frightening but really majestic fella.
eq24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 19:15   #3098
Senior - BHPian

Looking at your pictures I involuntarily got tears in my eyes. Puppies are just like small, trusting little children.
I cant understand a cruel world that treats them badly.

I am glad that there was a big queue for adoption - it shows that more people are beginning to care about animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidkun View Post
Here's a few pictures I clicked at an Indian puppy adoption camp recently, to nudge you closer to adopt an Indian pup. (BTW, this was an unusual event in the sense that there were people lining up and waiting for hours in line to adopt the puppies, they actually ran out of puppies to place.)
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 16:41   #3099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Looking at your pictures I involuntarily got tears in my eyes.
They're that bad, eh?
Thanks, though! The other day, I was walking with someone who had a Labrador in tow, and a local friendly dog also was providing company. A little girl was heard say "Woow, he's so cute". Her parent asked her which one, upon which she replied "The Lab, the other one's only a "gawthi kutra" (Marathi for mongrel)." Crazy biases. I mean, a dog is a dog. A dog, by definition, is cute/awesome/handsome. Something I feel even more strongly after adopting 2 Indian street pups - or Roadesian Hounds, as some people like to gilt-edge for the brand conscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I am glad that there was a big queue for adoption - it shows that more people are beginning to care about animals.
Yep. I just hope they are aware of how much crazy trouble those cute looking critters get themselves into. The adopter shouldn't have bitten off more than he/she can chew (leave that to the pups) only to want to return them a few days down the line. As we all know so well, dog rearing issues catch you unawares and completely stress you out many times - but I'll take that stress over office oppression any day.

Last edited by sidkun : 18th February 2013 at 16:44.
sidkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 16:58   #3100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidkun View Post
T I mean, a dog is a dog. A dog, by definition, is cute/awesome/handsome. Something I feel even more strongly after adopting 2 Indian street pups - or Roadesian Hounds, as some people like to gilt-edge for the brand conscious
Couldn't agree more!!

I too have adopted a street pup and she shows her love/affection towards us much much more than we humans do!!
archat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 15:52   #3101
Senior - BHPian

I want to have a few fish in my garden pond. What fish can I buy? I recollect seeing some orange ones with black dots in a resort someplace. Looked right the size, not too big nor small.

I am from Ooty and it can be quite cold here, especially during the nights? And wont the crows snatch? or should I have some cover.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 16:03   #3102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
I want to have a few fish in my garden pond. What fish can I buy? I recollect seeing some orange ones with black dots in a resort someplace. Looked right the size, not too big nor small.

I am from Ooty and it can be quite cold here, especially during the nights? And wont the crows snatch? or should I have some cover.

I think you're referring to KOI... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koi

There are lots of colors available and they're a strong breed.

Should cost about 500 bucks a pair for a 6 - 10 inch size.

Cheers..
R32_GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 16:06   #3103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
I think you're referring to KOI... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koi

There are lots of colors available and they're a strong breed.

Should cost about 500 bucks a pair for a 6 - 10 inch size.

Cheers..
Wow, yes. this is the one. Would the guy here know KOI.

Also what else do you recommend. I plan on keeping 4.

edit- are any plants required for these kind of fish pond. Or will the fish food do?

Last edited by beejay : 21st February 2013 at 16:07.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 16:15   #3104
BHPian

Quote:

edit- are any plants required for these kind of fish pond. Or will the fish food do?
I'm pretty sure that the local pet shop / aquarium guys would know it by the name KOI. I'd suggest getting smaller ones (4 - 6 inches at best) and watch them grow... although they survive in crowds, its best to give them enough space to swim around...

Plants aren't required to feed them as these guys would eat anything you give them but the pet store you buy it from would recommend the appropriate food as well. Also make sure that you have a decent filtration system for the pond.
R32_GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 16:17   #3105
BHPian

Quote:

How big is the pond? Please upload a photo out here, we will design it for you
Food depends on the kind of pond. Fish food is anyways applicable, no harm in giving.

I guess you will have to cover the pond by a net or else birds and cats will get a nice hangout area.

Advice: Try keeping a couple of turtles (the legal ones).
Googleman is offline   Reply With Quote