Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 19th August 2013, 18:26   #3346
BHPian

Default Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Will be bugging you more on my needs and I will stick to the PM, do not want to spam this thread by my nave questions.
Please feel free to ask and share anything you would like to, I will be more than happy to answer if I can and I am sure everyone else in this forum is here for this purpose only. There is a lot to learn about these wonderful animals and its only through forums like these that we can keep learning.
nitin_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2013, 11:06   #3347
BHPian

@Dreams: The more questions you ask the more we all can learn

Let me list out a few points:
1) Tap water is usually loaded with chlorine which can insta kill your fishes. Well water is safer. But these days that's also questionable. If tap water is your only choice then get an open storage container and let the water stay for a few days. The chlorine will evaporate and you could then transfer the water to your tanks.

2) Water change should be done on a periodical basis depending on the type of fish you have. Never 100%. 50% water changes on a weekly basis would be ideal.

3) Fish bowls are nice for us to look at but not nice for the fish to be in. Get traditional rectangular tanks. Trust me your fish would be happier.

4) Read more on the fishes you have/plan to buy and plan for tanks which will suit their maximum size. Never buy a fish which has the potential to grow more than your biggest tank no matter how tempting it is.

5) Create a suitable habitat with environs and filtration as per type of fishes and quantity. Fishes like cichlids and goldies are messy eaters and require good bio filtration.

6) Dont trust the LFS guy unless you know him personally. He will not give you correct info on compatibility and other factors. For him it is just business.

7) Do not overfeed your fishes. Fishes like goldies dont know when to stop eating and will just gorge and gorge and die of indigestion twice a day is more than enough.

8) The bigger the tank, the better the filtration, the better the water quality...the better for your fishes

Cheers and happy fish keeping. Just remember they are not decorative ornaments. They also have basic requirements which has to be met for them to thrive and be healthy in. Not just survive.

Last edited by Eddy : 20th August 2013 at 14:04. Reason: Removed extra smiley
deathwalkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 10:55   #3348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post
Please feel free to ask and share anything you would like to, I will be more than happy to answer if I can and I am sure everyone else in this forum is here for this purpose only. There is a lot to learn about these wonderful animals and its only through forums like these that we can keep learning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
@Dreams: The more questions you ask the more we all can learn

Let me list out a few points:
1) Tap water is usually loaded with chlorine which can insta kill your fishes. Well water is safer. But these days that's also questionable. If tap water is your only choice then get an open storage container and let the water stay for a few days. The chlorine will evaporate and you could then transfer the water to your tanks.
Sure guys. Will keep my questions posted here for the betterment of others too who are in the same boat as me.

Will definitely have a look at the fishes and then seek expert advices from you on what and what not to purchase. Sure I wont listen to the shop keeper.

As of now I am going to settle with the fish bowl. And then once confident enough in rearing those species, will move to a bigger one.
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 11:39   #3349
BHPian

Can i change your mind from the bowl onto a 1ft rectangular tank?
Old 21st August 2013, 11:50   #3350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Sure I wont listen to the shop keeper.
Sometimes the shopkeepers also genuinely provide correct advice. In my case the aquarium guys have more often than not correctly suggested what fishes to buy/ what not to buy/ what fishes can be kept together etc because they themselves handle so many fishes everyday and have first hand experience in maintaining them.
But as @deathwalkr has mentioned it depends on your luck and how honest that shopkeeper is. Best to do you own research.
nitin_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 11:51   #3351
BHPian

Quote:
Can i change your mind from the bowl onto a 1ft rectangular tank?
I would love to. But do not want to keep the bowl idle. Yes, I can use them for other decorative purposes, but do not want to take a chance. As said earlier, I want to gain confidence in raising them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post
But as @deathwalkr has mentioned it depends on your luck and how honest that shopkeeper is. Best to do you own research.
Yes I agree, the shop keeper can atleast be honest on suggesting which fish goes well with other fishes. But on some extreme decisions, I will stick up to experts here.

Last edited by dre@ms : 21st August 2013 at 11:54.
Old 21st August 2013, 11:57   #3352
BHPian

@Dreams: trust me on this. getting confidence is much more easier in a tank than from a bowl. you can give them better room to move about, better filtration as well fish bowls can be awesome to keep plants in
Old 21st August 2013, 12:07   #3353
BHPian

Quote:
@Dreams: trust me on this. getting confidence is much more easier in a tank than from a bowl. you can give them better room to move about, better filtration as well fish bowls can be awesome to keep plants in
I am relocating to a new place this weekend. Let me first identify a good/reputed shop around in there. Will then decide whether to go for a tank or retain the bowl.
Old 21st August 2013, 12:21   #3354
BHPian

All the best with the relocation that is first priority. tanks and fishes can come next. you can also check out forums like monsterfishkeepers and aquahobby for detailed information
Old 21st August 2013, 12:45   #3355
BHPian

Quote:
5) Create a suitable habitat with environs and filtration as per type of fishes and quantity. Fishes like cichlids and goldies are messy eaters and require good bio filtration.
You bet! My cichlids are perpetually hungry but these guys are big (about 5 inches now).

The irony of it all - the alfa pair have had 4 sets of babies in the main tank itself and cichlids are "mouth breeders" - they hold their fry in their mouth and every time that they've bred - the water has been unchanged / mucky for over a month!

EDIT - Speaking of babies - I've got about 20 malawi babies (1 - 1.5 inches) to give away in Bombay. PM me if you want to pick them up (for FREE) by this weekend or I'll have to give them away to to local pet shop.

Last edited by R32_GTR : 21st August 2013 at 12:48. Reason: added text
R32_GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 12:59   #3356
BHPian

pics please

i would have loved to pick them up if i were in mumbai which i sadly am not. happy fishkeeping
Old 23rd August 2013, 13:17   #3357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
New Addition at home
Very Cute indeed. Looks like Garfield.

AD
ad3952n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 00:05   #3358

Name:  image955202727.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  319.3 KB

My little monster when he was 1 month old
Name : Ghungroo
Breed: Labrador

Name:  image2038825205.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  428.5 KB

Ghungroooooooooo in his 5th month
manasimehrotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 08:42   #3359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasimehrotra View Post
Attachment 1128391

Good Morning Manasi, Welcome to Team Bhp. Your Lab is so very cute especially the snap of table when 1 month old. Though i dont have a dog but i really love them. My Favorite are Pug, Labs, retrievers and St. Bernards.

Good Day

AD
ad3952n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 18:07   #3360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasimehrotra View Post

Ghungroooooooooo in his 5th month
Lovely! Best of luck with your pup