Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2014, 17:48   #3826
BHPian
 
Ushuaia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 162
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Chances are its scabies that he may have caught from another dog. Without basic care this can turn nasty. Contact SPCA or Friendicoes it would require some shots and lotion to be applied. However if you are not sure then contacting these orgs is the only option.
Ushuaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 17:35   #3827
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,315 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
URGENT HELP REQUIRED !!

I was away for 2 weeks and upon returning I am worried to see the sufferings of our street dog. Please suggest a suitable medication for this skin disease. Where can I buy it in and around HSR Layout or Koramangala ? Please suggest a nearby vet too. I can show only the photos for advice. I can't carry the dog since he is not familiar and never been leashed, although he friendly.

This can also be mange. Treatable with special injections but the vet has to come and give these injections.
Try and give the dog Cefadur which is an antibiotic, along with his food and will stop the infection spreading.
If in HSR, then drop by at Dr Ansar's place near the HSR club and ask his help - he is very obliging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Here's a pic of the welcome party that I encounter everyday as I get home - they normally stay for snacks ! (parle G biscuits) :

Attachment 1297123

Ha ha that picture of those dogs waiting for biscuits is very sweet. All of them look like they are from the same litter too.

Last edited by Stratos : 19th November 2014 at 13:58.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 20:40   #3828
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 264
Thanked: 197 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This can also be mange. Treatable with special injections but the vet has to come and give these injections.
Try and give the dog Cefadur which is an antibiotic, along with his food and will stop the infection spreading.
If in HSR, then drop by at Dr Ansar's place near the HSR club and ask his help - he is very obliging.
Thanks a lot Shankarji. Please let me know the contact details of Dr Ansar - either tel or address - where exactly near HSR club ?
I am really distressed to see the dog's condition and would like to get him treated at any cost.
Ravindra M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 20:46   #3829
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,315 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
Thanks a lot Shankarji. Please let me know the contact details of Dr Ansar - either tel or address - where exactly near HSR club ?
I am really distressed to see the dog's condition and would like to get him treated at any cost.
There is a clinic just a little after HSR Club towards the lower end of the road. Comes on the left. There is a pet shop and the clinic is part of that pet shop itself.
Dr Ansar can be reached on 98451-16616
You can give my reference.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 14:11   #3830
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 264
Thanked: 197 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
There is a clinic just a little after HSR Club towards the lower end of the road. Comes on the left. There is a pet shop and the clinic is part of that pet shop itself.
Dr Ansar can be reached on 98451-16616
You can give my reference.
Shankarji, I followed your advice and met Dr.Ansar. He said without seeing the dog, he can't diagnose it. I pestered him to prescribe the "most probable" medicine looking at the photos, since I can't take the dog to him. He prescribed an ointment named "Curabless" - it seems to work and I see some improvement. Thanks for your hints.
Ravindra M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2014, 10:13   #3831
BHPian
 
prithvi_seln's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CHENNAI
Posts: 72
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Guys,
I am from Chennai, Fish keeping is my hobby, I do have a fresh water aquarium for the past 10 years, Planning to venture in to Marine Aquarium, I do know the initial investment is high and needs a lot of discipline to maintain. I have been researching and learning about it for the past 2 months. I need help from Chennai TBHpians who own marine aquariums, to help me out in this new venture. I am looking for discussions about the set up and I would like to visit their setups to learn more and see it first hand.
prithvi_seln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2014, 14:07   #3832
BHPian
 
glenmz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 336
Thanked: 241 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Here is my setup. Used the space below my wash basin to set this up. Gettin the plumbing right was a challenge as the carpenter messed up the dimensions.
I was using borewell water for somtime, but cleaning became a pain with the salt deposit building up. Tried canned water this time and its worked alright till now .
Have couple of Angels , molies and carps now.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc_0692.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc_0694.jpg  

glenmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 14:40   #3833
BHPian
 
dre@ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singara Chennai
Posts: 506
Thanked: 130 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Here is my setup. Used the space below my wash basin to set this up.
Awesome setup. Whats the dimension of the aquarium? After seeing this, planning to get something similar to it.
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 15:55   #3834
BHPian
 
glenmz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 336
Thanked: 241 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Awesome setup. Whats the dimension of the aquarium? After seeing this, planning to get something similar to it.
Thank you!
Its 27.4 x 18 x 24 inches. (L x B x H).
glenmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 16:01   #3835
BHPian
 
dre@ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singara Chennai
Posts: 506
Thanked: 130 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Thank you!

Its 27.4 x 18 x 24 inches. (L x B x H).
Similar to mine. I am ordering,

3ft x 2ft x 2ft (lxbxh)

Planning to make similar wooden setup as yours.
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 11:22   #3836
BHPian
 
deathwalkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 628
Thanked: 449 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithvi_seln View Post
Guys,
I am from Chennai, Fish keeping is my hobby, I do have a fresh water aquarium for the past 10 years, Planning to venture in to Marine Aquarium, I do know the initial investment is high and needs a lot of discipline to maintain. I have been researching and learning about it for the past 2 months. I need help from Chennai TBHpians who own marine aquariums, to help me out in this new venture. I am looking for discussions about the set up and I would like to visit their setups to learn more and see it first hand.
Good luck

I wish i had the time and money to start with marine setups. Maybe after a few years. Check out monsterfishkeepers.com. Abundance of fish knowledge there.
deathwalkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 11:28   #3837
BHPian
 
jeeva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 603
Thanked: 509 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Good luck

I wish i had the time and money to start with marine setups. Maybe after a few years. Check out monsterfishkeepers.com. Abundance of fish knowledge there.

A friend's aquarium set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-10750102_999288253430799_850196018869679907_o.jpg  

Attached Images
 

Last edited by jeeva : 19th November 2014 at 11:35.
jeeva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 12:33   #3838
Senior - BHPian
 
recshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mangalore / Bangalore
Posts: 1,055
Thanked: 90 Times
Thumbs up Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Here is my setup. Used the space below my wash basin to set this up. Gettin the plumbing right was a challenge as the carpenter messed up the dimensions.
I was using borewell water for somtime, but cleaning became a pain with the salt deposit building up. Tried canned water this time and its worked alright till now .
Have couple of Angels , molies and carps now.
WOW! this looks so nice. Was it a DIY or custom made for the dimension? Looking at this, even i recalled my childhood dream of having an aquarium at home. Now i have totally forgotten about aquarium setup, fish names etc etc. Need to start reading again

What was the setup cost? I want to have some regular fish with less maintenance with some elegant lighting and nice setup inside aquarium, any suggestions?
recshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 13:28   #3839
BHPian
 
glenmz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 336
Thanked: 241 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
WOW! this looks so nice. Was it a DIY or custom made for the dimension? Looking at this, even i recalled my childhood dream of having an aquarium at home. Now i have totally forgotten about aquarium setup, fish names etc etc. Need to start reading again

What was the setup cost? I want to have some regular fish with less maintenance with some elegant lighting and nice setup inside aquarium, any suggestions?
Thank you recshenoy. Yes it was custom made. Did not really have the tools and know how to perform the DIY then. The aquarium costed me about Rs 3000. Did this from Kammanahalli, my uncle knew the guy there.
I cant really recommend you the fishes with my limited knowledge. Always check for compatibility between fishes and for this the guy running the aquarium should be knowledgeable. Once the guy messed up with his recommendation when i added a different species of fish. And the new fish ended up eating 8 of my tetras and 15 guppies!
Another decision would be if you need to go for a planted tank. Because certain ones like goldfish (Which I wanted to add, but cant since I have a planted setup) eats up the plants.
As for maintenance, I clean up every 2-3 weeks and its a tedious task. Earlier, I was using the borewell water which caused a lot of water marks.Cleaning this up is a task.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Similar to mine. I am ordering,

3ft x 2ft x 2ft (lxbxh)

Planning to make similar wooden setup as yours.
Good luckdre@ms! Make sure you use waterproof / marine plywood. I find precipitation on the top wood layer, which isnt good in the longer run. Must do some waterproofing there. I have fixed wheels on the bottom tray so that it can be pulled out for cleaning.
glenmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 18:29   #3840
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,145
Thanked: 4,589 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Guys and vets, need some urgent info

A cat which is a middle aged and well built female keeps visiting my house everyday. This cat is supposed to be someone's pet and mostly someone a few houses away. Today, I saw that the cat was trying to hunt a rat in the backyard. The cat kept staring at the rat but it never attacked it. The rat seemed to be very unhealthy and had lost some of its fur and the cat observed it for a few minutes and just came towards me showing no interest in the rat.

It then started rolling over the floor and I felt it was suffering from some irritation or itching. It scratched its body wherever it could and also started groaning a bit. Later I took a soft plastic brush and scrubbed its body a bit which it welcomed and stopped groaning. Later as I left the place it repeated the same and I dont know what is to be done. Is this okay with cats? I thought it had some insects up the fur but it was clean.

I could take it to a vet but I am pretty sure it will freak out if I try to put it into the car. Any pointers about what can be done in this situation? Or is this just an invitation to a male cat?

Last edited by audioholic : 19th November 2014 at 18:31.
audioholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Travelling with Pets in India recker_us Route / Travel Queries 32 18th October 2016 06:04
BHPians and their pets jacs Shifting gears 2 22nd May 2013 22:38
2 BHPians and their photo-trip to the 150-year old Rosary Church, Shettihalli rjstyles69 Travelogues 31 9th February 2013 14:37
Aston Martin Opens their showroom in New Delhi, their 2nd Dealership in India Ace F355 Super-Cars & Imports in India 1 19th May 2012 20:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks