Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2016, 18:19   #4141
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,253 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Especially humans, well said T E G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't know the answer, except that life is harder for many creatures in India, including a lot of the humans!
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2016, 23:05   #4142
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,800
Thanked: 7,132 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

My magic mother used to keep dogs into their teens. Dogs are not nearly as potentially-long-lived as cats. In the past decade, I have known three cats get within a couple of years of 30. But, of course, lots don't.

Road accidents kill a lot of British cats. there are not many packs of street dogs, and there are no people stealing them for food. However, a while back, London cats were disappearing and it was said that they were being sold for laboratory experiments, so I am not holding up my fellow Brits as paragons of virtue.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2016, 17:29   #4143
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 486
Thanked: 275 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
In this climate of India, these large furry breeds typically don't manage more than a decade.
Bangalore used to be heaven for dogs. Sadly, no longer, with the weather changes and the attitudinal changes of the more narrow minded parochial sorts of chaps that abound these days.
It is a little comfort to know that even during the salubrious milder climates of Bangalore these dogs managed only a decade in existence.
As for the sort of chaps you mentioned - I keep our dogs mostly indoors. They have the backyard with high rise walls to roam around. My neighbors raised the walls to 12 feet high, ostensibly on the fear that my last GSD might scale the wall and scare their inmates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My magic mother used to keep dogs into their teens. Dogs are not nearly as potentially-long-lived as cats. In the past decade, I have known three cats get within a couple of years of 30. But, of course, lots don't.

Road accidents kill a lot of British cats. there are not many packs of street dogs, and there are no people stealing them for food. However, a while back, London cats were disappearing and it was said that they were being sold for laboratory experiments, so I am not holding up my fellow Brits as paragons of virtue.
I want to learn the little magic your mother used to keep dogs into their teens. I had fed them home cooked meals, took personal care and subjected them to regular vet visits. When the heat became unbearable, allowed them inside air conditioned rooms. But couldn't manage more than 14 years tops.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 00:00   #4144
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,800
Thanked: 7,132 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
I want to learn the little magic your mother used to keep dogs into their teens.
I don't know it, I'm afraid: from mice to dogs, her animals were well trained and long-lived. It must have been something like the horse-whisperer thing. But 14 is doing well! You must have some magic too
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 09:35   #4145
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 486
Thanked: 275 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't know it, I'm afraid: from mice to dogs, her animals were well trained and long-lived. It must have been something like the horse-whisperer thing. But 14 is doing well! You must have some magic too
Ok. You say your Mother's magic is like horse-whisperer thing. That explains the success in keeping the four legged friends well trained and long lived.

I can't say anything about my animals as anywhere near well trained. I turn soft when looking into their endearing eyes.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 09:39   #4146
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,322 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Ok. You say your Mother's magic is like horse-whisperer thing. That explains the success in keeping the four legged friends well trained and long lived.

I can't say anything about my animals as anywhere near well trained. I turn soft when looking into their endearing eyes.
When we lived on the Tea Estates, our dogs lived longer. Clean air. Great spaces around to play and overall an un polluted environment.

Difficult to replicate in a crowded city like Bangalore in todays world.

My two old dogs, the 12 year old Lab and the 9 year old Alsatian spend most of their time indoors except for several walks a day and some "rubber ball" games. But the weather is hotter now, there is a lot of pollution, the people in the newer areas are less tolerant and in general the "happy idyllic life" of 10 years ago is fast becoming extinct.

I just hope that while these two are with us, they continue to have a happy and relatively peaceful set of surroundings.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 09:50   #4147
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 486
Thanked: 275 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
When we lived on the Tea Estates, our dogs lived longer. Clean air. Great spaces around to play and overall an un polluted environment.

Difficult to replicate in a crowded city like Bangalore in todays world.

My two old dogs, the 12 year old Lab and the 9 year old Alsatian spend most of their time indoors except for several walks a day and some "rubber ball" games. ....

I just hope that while these two are with us, they continue to have a happy and relatively peaceful set of surroundings.
Tea estates ? I also spent my childhood days in tea estates in Nilgiris. Hmmm. That was a different era.

I wish your animals long happy lives.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 16:24   #4148
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,322 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Tea estates ? I also spent my childhood days in tea estates in Nilgiris. Hmmm. That was a different era.

I wish your animals long happy lives.
Yes. We lived in Munnar/ Anamallais in the 1970's, in the Nilgiris between 1981-1995. Then Coorg. Then Chikmagalur. Then Dad retired.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 02:21   #4149
BHPian
 
Samba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 886
Thanked: 4,840 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

I like dogs and earlier had few dogs in our home too. But last year one cat left her few hours old, new born kitten in our house and at that juncture the kitten was so small that his eyes were yet to develop! We used to feed him milk through dropper, then he graduated to whiskers and now he is nearly an year old and he loves chicken and curd more than fish and milk!

Meet Google! Yes, i named him Google because when he was younger his 'O' like eyes used to search every nook and corner of our house!

About an year back !
Team-BHPians and their Pets-11377137_870690463002848_6454943476596692706_n.jpg

Now!
Name:  440cdcc5f645443dad6a0a953c408109.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  174.1 KB

Last edited by Samba : 27th April 2016 at 02:24.
Samba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 06:22   #4150
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,322 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
I like dogs and earlier had few dogs in our home too. But last year one cat left her few hours old, new born kitten in our house and at that juncture the kitten was so small that his eyes were yet to develop! We used to feed him milk through dropper, then he graduated to whiskers and now he is nearly an year old and he loves chicken and curd more than fish and milk!

Meet Google! Yes, i named him Google because when he was younger his 'O' like eyes used to search every nook and corner of our house!

About an year back !
Attachment 1501111

Now!
Attachment 1501118

Add a couple of capsules of seven seas to his grub. The fish oil helps his coat, his sight and overall well being. Equally good for dogs and cats.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 13:06   #4151
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,800
Thanked: 7,132 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Meet Google!
Wonderful! And so great that you hand-reared the little thing from such an early age: without you he could not have even lived!

We had a great time (although leading to subsequent heat breaks) when a cat arrived at our house with her three kittens back in 2008. I think they were the only cats that my wife ever liked --- and she was so fond of one of them that it makes it even harder to get her to accept a house cat again.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 14:40   #4152
BHPian
 
Samba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 886
Thanked: 4,840 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Add a couple of capsules of seven seas to his grub. The fish oil helps his coat, his sight and overall well being. Equally good for dogs and cats.
Thanks, will make a note of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Wonderful! And so great that you hand-reared the little thing from such an early age: without you he could not have even lived!

We had a great time (although leading to subsequent heat breaks) when a cat arrived at our house with her three kittens back in 2008. I think they were the only cats that my wife ever liked --- and she was so fond of one of them that it makes it even harder to get her to accept a house cat again.
Thanks a lot.

Earlier i was not so attached with cats but in this one year with Google i started loving cats! They are addictive!

Last edited by Samba : 27th April 2016 at 14:41.
Samba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 01:33   #4153
Senior - BHPian
 
maddy42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Coorg
Posts: 1,846
Thanked: 478 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Hey Folks,

We lost Milo our Lab cross last year and currently a GS Simba and a Doberman Tyson is doing guard duties. We live on a farm so space is available for the dogs to run around and mostly they are for guard duty. Looking at getting two pups(male and female) to join the crew so would welcome suggestions.

We do not want any of the rottweilers or pitbulls. Our doberman really came out well and i think folks have mistaken this breed as ferocious, it all depends on the owners and this dog is a gentle giant amongst babies too! At the moment our choice is stuck on the German Sheperd as it is very easy to maintain, live a healthy life and is loyal and protective. Any other breeds which come to your mind? No labs as the previous time we did get duped by a seller in mysore who promised a pure bred but gave us a total cross.

The following are the ones i like:
German Sheperd(Our simba is getting older and he can be a good guide to the pups)
Alsations(Is it a different breed as we had 2 which had the greyish wolf color)
Doberman(Brother doesnt want one more currently as Tyson is the king of the house now)
Mudhol Hound(Brother doesnt like them as they do not satisfy on looks quotient and have a ferocious nature).
Boxers(Their breathing issue is something which is concerning to us).
Smaller dogs will get bullied by our Doberman so want to stay away from them.

Any other breeds comes to your mind? Majority of the owners of Dobermans try to make it all ferocious which i really think sucks for this breed. They are really awesome, hyper active, loving and want you to play with them always!

This list is after years of ownership and seeing how breeds survive in coorg conditions. My uncle tried a bunch of dog breeds but always faced some or the other issues. Our Vets are not the best so we want a hardy animal.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 10:52   #4154
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 1,716
Thanked: 1,519 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Alsations(Is it a different breed as we had 2 which had the greyish wolf color)

Maddy
To the best of my knowledge - Alsatian and German Shepherd are one and the same. The GS were referred to as Alsatians during the height of anti German sentiments leading up to WW 1 and after - the name Alsatian - is after the Germanic region of Alsace & Lorraine - because at that point of time a lot of people in rest of Europe did not want to be partial to anything German including animals originating from there.

https://www.quora.com/Is-there-any-d...nd-an-Alsatian

GS comes in many "authorized' color variation including the one described by you.

As per Kennel Club of UK the Color Standards are as follows:

Colour Black or black saddle with tan, or gold to light grey markings. All black, all grey, with lighter or brown markings referred to as Sables. Bi-colour: Predominantly black, may have tan or gold markings on head, chest, legs and feet; black markings may be present on toes and rear pasterns. Nose black. Light markings on chest or very pale colour on inside of legs permissible but undesirable, as are whitish nails, red-tipped tails or wishy-washy faded colours defined as lacking in pigmentation. Blues, livers, albinos, whites (i.e. almost pure white dogs with black noses) and near whites highly undesirable. Undercoat, except in all black dogs, usually grey or fawn. Colour in itself is of secondary importance having no effect on character or fitness for work. Final colour of a young dog only ascertained when outer coat has developed. -

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/serv....WlRGHJAN.dpuf

It pains when an dog lover gets the facts wrong and hence this post just for your info.

All the best with your search for puppies

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 10:58   #4155
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,123
Thanked: 995 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

GS and Alsatian are the same. There are generally 3 types - small with narrow pointed nose, extra large with wolf like size and stance and medium. They have a relatively delicate stomach and prone to ticks infestation.

Labs are the hardiest and on a farm where there is a lot of exercise the better option. If you get one look to the "Field" breed and not the "Show" breed. Field breed is sleeker, while the Show breeds are heftier. As long as you do not over feed them, Labs will be with you for 14 years+.

https://rosewoodretrievers.wordpress...ish-labradors/
http://www.thelabradorsite.com/which...-work-or-show/
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Travelling with Pets in India recker_us Route / Travel Queries 32 18th October 2016 06:04
BHPians and their pets jacs Shifting gears 2 22nd May 2013 22:38
2 BHPians and their photo-trip to the 150-year old Rosary Church, Shettihalli rjstyles69 Travelogues 31 9th February 2013 14:37
Aston Martin Opens their showroom in New Delhi, their 2nd Dealership in India Ace F355 Super-Cars & Imports in India 1 19th May 2012 20:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks