Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2017, 15:54   #4516
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,817
Thanked: 3,024 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Forgive my brute intrusion, but I can never see goldfish in a bowl without suspecting Tom lurking somewhere close by with a frying pan & assorted condiments.

I blame my Tom & Jerry addiction for that!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 13th July 2017 at 15:55. Reason: typo
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2017, 16:06   #4517
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 226
Thanked: 313 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Introducing you to Guppy and Tuppy by two gold fish who live in a bowl. Guppy the bigger one is 4 years old and Tuppy the smaller about two and a half. The little children who visit our home love to hear anecdotes of what Guppy & Tuppy did since the kids' last visit. 50% of the water changed once or twice a week depending on my business travels and fed once in the morning. I have kept fish since 1973. Goldfish in a bowl since 2000. My wife won't allow me a second big aquarium at home hence the bowl as a compromise at the 4th Narayan vs Narayan Aquarium Limitation Summit.
Dear Mr. Narayan,

I am sure you take good care of your pet fishes but isn't a small bowl too less a space for a living being to spend a lifetime. We humans can't spend more than a few hours enclosed in a single room, imagine the kind of mental trauma these animals go through when they are restricted to small spaces for their entire life span. They deserve to be free; just like how we have the right to a free life.

Thanks.
trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2017, 16:34   #4518
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Delhi-NCR
Posts: 776
Thanked: 3,648 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Forgive my brute intrusion, but I can never see goldfish in a bowl without suspecting Tom lurking somewhere close by with a frying pan & assorted condiments.

I blame my Tom & Jerry addiction for that!
Chetan, aaaarrgghh!! - I have a Queen Cat at home but she walks on 2 legs and doesn't read T-BHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
I am sure you take good care of your pet fishes
Dear @trek, thank you for your post. Yes I believe I take good care of my fishes - many of them, housed in the aquarium, have lived to 5 to 6 years and a couple crossed 7 years
Quote:
but isn't a small bowl too less a space for a living being to spend a lifetime
Maybe it is. I wont argue on that. The fact that Guppy is 4 years old is indicative that the environment is okay if not great. Till the www came along you read about fish keeping in the occasional hobby book. Last 15 to 18 years the 'goldfish in a bowl is cruel' theory has gained momentum mainly through web sites. Between 1973 and 1998 I had never come across this. Though I will admit that too many folks going for fish keeping the first time buy a bowl with too many fish or too ones that are too large and sadly they all die pretty soon. Nevertheless I respect your sentiments.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 13th July 2017 at 16:36.
V.Narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 08:39   #4519
BHPian
 
pdma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 582
Thanked: 790 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Something interesting I found.

Traveling the the train with the dog.

https://wordpresscom48768.wordpress....-dog-on-train/

Cheers,
Pradeep.
pdma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 08:48   #4520
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,351
Thanked: 1,018 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
The fact that Guppy is 4 years old is indicative that the environment is okay if not great. Till the www came along you read about fish keeping in the occasional hobby book. Last 15 to 18 years the 'goldfish in a bowl is cruel' theory has gained momentum mainly through web sites. Between 1973 and 1998 I had never come across this.
My wife stopped her fish hobby because they rarely lived more than a few months so it seemed pointless. I would say four years is good going for a fish and almost certainly more than what they would live in a river - get eaten by another fish or after getting caught by a human before old age I expect.

Where would they be happier is a matter that can have no satisfactory conclusion. It goes back to sentience and many claim that trees are sentient too.

And I have to assume that those that say this is cruel are vegetarians, and to be even more principled, vegans.
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 15:01   #4521
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Delhi-NCR
Posts: 776
Thanked: 3,648 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
My wife stopped her fish hobby because they rarely lived more than a few months so it seemed pointless.
The trick is the balance between volume of water, surface area for absorption of oxygen versus the number and size of fish + feeding them only once a day (and never more often -a oft repeated error) and changing the water 50% once a week.

Quote:
I would say four years is good going for a fish and almost certainly more than what they would live in a river
Yup. I have had a few dozen spawns over the years in my big tank and many many fish were born in the tank and lived their lives in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20170714_133230.jpg  

V.Narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 00:13   #4522
BHPian
 
msbehave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 84
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Hi folks,
I brought my two rescued kittens (now 1+ year old cats) along with me from the US. Brought some limited amount of food that they are used to which was consumed. Now they aren't eating the dry food brands available in Mumbai (Whiskas, Royal Canin, etc). Have tried them giving (boiled) chicken; that didn't work either. Any suggestions what to do?

Also the brands they like/ have eaten in the past - Wet Food (Fancy Feast), Dry food (Wellness). Any pointers for stores in Mumbai that have the above brands would be most welcome.

Also anyone who went through the above phase - if you can give suggestions on how to handle this situation, please do so.
Try Orijen or Acana cat food. Available on dogkart.in or amazon.in
msbehave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 12:30   #4523
BHPian
 
nik0502's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gurgaon/Jind
Posts: 261
Thanked: 93 Times
Default

Hi Guys

Did anyone try pet GPS trackers available on Aliexpress. I have 3 dogs and i am looking for a GPS tracker for all 3 of them. Does anyone have any recommendations.
nik0502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 12:54   #4524
BHPian
 
deathwalkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 614
Thanked: 414 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post

Introducing you to Guppy and Tuppy by two gold fish who live in a bowl. Guppy the bigger one is 4 years old and Tuppy the smaller about two and a half. The little children who visit our home love to hear anecdotes of what Guppy & Tuppy did since the kids' last visit. 50% of the water changed once or twice a week depending on my business travels and fed once in the morning. I have kept fish since 1973. Goldfish in a bowl since 2000.
Please get a tank. Bowls are not the place to keep fishes in. Bad surface area, lack of space, tough to provide filtration.

Besides, goldfishes grow to 4inches in size on average and can grow to 7-10inches. They eat and crap like nobody's business. They do not belong in a bowl.
deathwalkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017, 19:04   #4525
BHPian
 
esoticoreventon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 121
Thanked: 198 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
These photos are real soul-food! I don't know how I missed them - how is the squirrel doing? I guess he must be well house-trained by now.
Hi Shashanka! I am sorry I somehow missed your post! The squirrel was raised at home for more than three months and then he left home and lived in a tree nearby. He was there till the Vardha cyclone of Chennai battered the city. The tree stood, but there is no sign of little Stewie. :(
esoticoreventon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 22:18   #4526
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: mum,lko,kolkata
Posts: 648
Thanked: 608 Times
Default Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
Hi Shashanka! I am sorry I somehow missed your post! The squirrel was raised at home for more than three months and then he left home and lived in a tree nearby. He was there till the Vardha cyclone of Chennai battered the city. The tree stood, but there is no sign of little Stewie. :(
That's pretty awful to hear - but I'm glad that you had him for 3 months & that he subsequently lived nearby. Hoping in my heart that he somehow managed to survive the cyclone & is somewhere there, doing what squirrels do best - bringing good cheer to their surroundings!
shashanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Travelling with Pets in India recker_us Route / Travel Queries 32 18th October 2016 06:04
BHPians and their pets jacs Shifting gears 2 22nd May 2013 22:38
2 BHPians and their photo-trip to the 150-year old Rosary Church, Shettihalli rjstyles69 Travelogues 31 9th February 2013 14:37
Aston Martin Opens their showroom in New Delhi, their 2nd Dealership in India Ace F355 Super-Cars & Imports in India 1 19th May 2012 20:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks