Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2009, 17:08   #451
BHPian
 
AMAN_SACHDEV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: N.C.R.
Posts: 111
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I did not know there was a thread on pets too.

Well here are my dogs that I have at the farm.

The light brown one is an English Mastiff(I have a pair)
Grey is a Neapolitan Mastiff and the brown black is a 1 yr old Rottweiler.

Cheers !!!!!!
Hey Randeep such a nice collection of dogs you have.
Neapolitan mastiff is really adorable.
Will love to meet them..
AMAN_SACHDEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 17:24   #452
BHPian
 
f1fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 693
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Had a pom for approx 14 yrs. He was gifted to us at the age of 2 months. His demise was a sad moment for the whole family.
Hence after that no pets in my house.
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 17:29   #453
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,755
Thanked: 1,544 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Sorry about the image quality, taken with a mobile camera.
These are accidental pets.
In our apartment there is a balcony where the washing machine is there.
So if we do not wash clothes for couple of days in a row, a pigeon pair used to start building a nest. Everytime I used to throw away the nest, because either they can have a nest, or we can wash clothes.
This was going on for over 6 months. Whenever we used to go for 3-4 days, I had to throw away eggs too(don't cry, there is excess of pigeons in NCR, and they have all but eliminated other species of birds).
This time we went away for a month.As I open the balcony, I see the nest with 2 baby pigeons. I did not want to throw them away. So I picked them up(they were very small), and put then in a shoe box with some cotton. Made them drink water etc, and kept them in a different corner of the same balcony.
Mama pigeon comes and refuses to touch them, and keeps on searching for them in her corner.
For two days I feed them rice, bread and water.
After 2 days the foolish bird realizes these are her kids and starts to sleep in the same box. We give them rice etc. every day, and what you see is 7 days result. One of them is big now, and about to fly away in a week I think. Every time I give it rice or anything, it tries to bite my finger. The younger one is bullied by this one I think.

I'm the biggest pigeon hater you will find on this planet, and by a cruel twist of fate, I am raising two pigeons, and making them fat.
pic aint clear
tanveer dont tell me that you are goin to eat them after making them fat
we had to face this issue way back in our old house where birds woul make nest over a fan and then get killed sometimes with the moving fan
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 18:46   #454
Senior - BHPian
 
deky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 1,192
Thanked: 1,029 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post

@Deky: Ginger is so adorable. I never found him to be rude to kids. Because you say so we remain cautious.
well with your son he is fine as ginger knows him well now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I think he meant because of the hair...very small children could ingest the hair...
Hair is a problem indeed but Ginger has a tendency to snap at kids, hence i get paranoid and keep them at a distance.
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 18:57   #455
BHPian
 
Proxima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 801
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Have a buffalo and a calf as well at the farm,let me know if their pics are needed
Sure. Please post. Would be very interested to see them.
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 19:10   #456
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,039
Thanked: 731 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
pic aint clear
tanveer dont tell me that you are goin to eat them after making them fat
we had to face this issue way back in our old house where birds woul make nest over a fan and then get killed sometimes with the moving fan
Talking about birds...wonder where all those cute sparrows disappeared. I used to love feeding them rice and other tit bits at the balcony at home when I was a tiny totter.
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 19:12   #457
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,040
Thanked: 127 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Sorry about the image quality, taken with a mobile camera.
These are accidental pets.
In our apartment there is a balcony where the washing machine is there.
So if we do not wash clothes for couple of days in a row, a pigeon pair used to start building a nest. Everytime I used to throw away the nest, because either they can have a nest, or we can wash clothes.
This was going on for over 6 months. Whenever we used to go for 3-4 days, I had to throw away eggs too(don't cry, there is excess of pigeons in NCR, and they have all but eliminated other species of birds).
This time we went away for a month.As I open the balcony, I see the nest with 2 baby pigeons. I did not want to throw them away. So I picked them up(they were very small), and put then in a shoe box with some cotton. Made them drink water etc, and kept them in a different corner of the same balcony.
Mama pigeon comes and refuses to touch them, and keeps on searching for them in her corner.
For two days I feed them rice, bread and water.
After 2 days the foolish bird realizes these are her kids and starts to sleep in the same box. We give them rice etc. every day, and what you see is 7 days result. One of them is big now, and about to fly away in a week I think. Every time I give it rice or anything, it tries to bite my finger. The younger one is bullied by this one I think.

I'm the biggest pigeon hater you will find on this planet, and by a cruel twist of fate, I am raising two pigeons, and making them fat.
Attachment 104543

Hey this reminds me somthing similar i had done to 2 sparrow chicks. They had made a nest in our house. I used to remove them from the nest and feed them, and then put them back.

I have had various pets, well not exactly pets as i didnt keep them for lot of days. The list goes like..

lots of colourfull Guppy fishes, which me and my friends use to catch from the nearby drains when i was a kid. I used to keep them in glass bottles. Then later i moved up and got an aquarium, in which i had a nice collection of fishes. Some of the unusual breeds which i had were puffers and eels.

Had a pair of turtles, dont know the exact breed. This one does not survive for long outside water. learnt it the hard way when one of them died after i left it out of the tank overnight.

Kept a baby owl for few days.

Had a bat for sometime, it used to stink a lot so freed it.

I had kept snakes with me a couple of times, i had to hide it from my parents and i used to let it open in the bathroom once in a while. At other times it used to be shut in a bottle.

..there are few more which i will type later.
heavy_foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 19:53   #458
BHPian
 
randeep04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 629
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Hi Tanveer,
Pigeons were a big problem for us too, but then a wise guy came along and said why not make a small cage in the corner of our house. Put in some different coloured pigeons and see how the problem shifts from the house to the new cage.

And Volla !!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dabra-076.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dabra-075.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dabra-077.jpg  

randeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 20:19   #459
BHPian
 
randeep04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 629
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Here are two Videos of the English Mastiff's.





Cheers !!!!!
randeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 00:41   #460
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: chandigarh,melbourne
Posts: 598
Thanked: 235 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

I absolutely love dogs and have 3 of them. A german shepherd , an american white shepherd and a rottie.Had kept rabbits earlier.Damn fools multiply faster then a ferrari accelerating.Got two they multiplied into 14.phew.had to get rid of them.

Last edited by bigron : 25th February 2009 at 00:44.
bigron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 10:41   #461
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,518
Thanked: 3,985 Times
Default

@bigron, do post pics of the sheperds.
Quote:
bigron : Had kept rabbits earlier.Damn fools multiply faster then a ferrari accelerating.Got two they multiplied into 14.phew.had to get rid of them.
'Multiply like Rabbits' did not come from their math skills ..

I remember a poster illustrating their multiplication skills. The poster showed " 1 + 1 (rabbits) = 150000 "
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 11:38   #462
BHPian
 
UniqueMods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 308
Thanked: 49 Times
Default my bebos..

Theses two are now a part of my family. They are my better half's pets and she brought them along.

They may look cute but they sure bite hard.


UM
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-09062008632.jpg  

UniqueMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 11:05   #463
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,913
Thanked: 15,582 Times
Default They are growing up

Now both of them try to bite my hand when I go near. They try to bite the phone also.
Team-BHPians and their Pets-image016.jpg
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 13:23   #464
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default

Post the pics by all means; but make sure that there is no "dung"

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Have a buffalo and a calf as well at the farm,let me know if their pics are needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Sure. Please post. Would be very interested to see them.

Last edited by gd1418 : 26th February 2009 at 13:28.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 22:54   #465
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,913
Thanked: 15,582 Times
Default Growing up

They are growing up fast, and do not want to fly. Their mother comes with food etc., and tries to teach them to fly, also tries to drag them out of box, but they don't want to leave home till they are middle aged.
They do not try to bite anymore, though they are still afraid of touch, and try to run away. I dropped them from 3-4 feet, in the hope that they will flap their wings, but no such luck.
They flap and glide to the box, which I changed after it got very dirty
Name:  485632630_zfXWNL.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  252.0 KB

The above pic is of the old box, taken couple of days ago. Latest pics in new box
Name:  485634443_qswNYL.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  189.8 KB

Another one of the elder Pigeon
Name:  485634917_uqhPSL.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  127.8 KB
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Travelling with Pets in India recker_us Route / Travel Queries 32 18th October 2016 06:04
BHPians and their pets jacs Shifting gears 2 22nd May 2013 22:38
2 BHPians and their photo-trip to the 150-year old Rosary Church, Shettihalli rjstyles69 Travelogues 31 9th February 2013 14:37
Aston Martin Opens their showroom in New Delhi, their 2nd Dealership in India Ace F355 Super-Cars & Imports in India 1 19th May 2012 20:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:46.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks