Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2009, 10:46   #571
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,319
Thanked: 3,661 Times
Default

Quote:
Alter_Ego : I guess we were talking about a particular GR whose pic was posted here.
@Surjit, it's the same GR we are talking about. I got the number from Chel & called the person yesterday. He wanted to give up the GR since he wasnt able to take care of him. But feels good that the GR is still with his family.

In case I said pup, it would be because he's still 10 months old.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 16:39   #572
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,319
Thanked: 3,661 Times
Default

@Anil, the pup's doing fine : he's getting back to his playful ways & trying to assert himself while at it. There's some swelling on both fore-shoulders, though the injury marks were on the left side, & below the shoulder level. Any idea what can this be ?

He did have some pain/discomfort yesterday when trying to climb down steps (though nothing noticeable when climbing up).


Apparently he was searching for me last two days when I was away at work, and went & slept in my room. Small things, but feels good !
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 18:08   #573
BHPian
 
Dicky_GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bnagalore
Posts: 46
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

It felt very very nice to see all these pictures and i wish all these lovely creatures good health and amazing life
These are my two turtles and have named then Santa & Banta.
Very old pics these are got them almost a year and a half ago when i got them, will post new pics soon.
Cheerss
Attached Images
    
Dicky_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 18:23   #574
Senior - BHPian
 
beejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Nilgiris
Posts: 1,916
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
sad - even when we lived in the Nilgiris in the 90's, my childhood companion Simba - a large grey wolf-like alsatian was lost to the local panther. However, since he was 14 years old, we felt that he had had a good life and went out in a blaze.
our other dogs at the time - 10 year old Rufus the Irish Setter and Simba 2, the baby half dober half alsatian were inconsolable for a while.
in a way im happy i live in bangalore now with my three pets, 2 Alsatians and a Labrador - where atleast there are no leopards.
But I ve always felt that all dogs are happiest when living in the Nilgiris and similar places - lovely clean air and green surroundings.
Shankar,

Dogs are truly happy in the Nilgiris, especially the ones with thick coats. I have noticed that my friends boxer which he brings from Coimbatore is very active in Coonoor. Otherwise he just lays around the house in Coimbatore.
Must be the weather, call it a dogs life. Now is that negative or positive?
Bringing up a dog in Bangalore is equally difficult considering the fact that if you are living in an apartment, or even worse a locality that does not encourage letting dogs loose.

Cheers,

S

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th May 2009 at 16:23. Reason: fixed quotes
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 18:35   #575
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 234
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

How do you differentiate between them? Who is santa and who is bantA?
idea1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 19:16   #576
BHPian
 
Alter_Ego's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 443
Thanked: 97 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Surjit, it's the same GR we are talking about. I got the number from Chel & called the person yesterday. He wanted to give up the GR since he wasnt able to take care of him. But feels good that the GR is still with his family.

In case I said pup, it would be because he's still 10 months old.
Oh.Alright got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Anil,

Apparently he was searching for me last two days when I was away at work, and went & slept in my room. Small things, but feels good !

Ok I am not shy in admitting that a small tear just rolled out of my eyes.
I can really understand what it might have meant for you.I still remember when I was down with flu when I was a kid , my Dob spent the entire day with me with his chin on my lap and never left me, even for eating his share of meal.
Alter_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 20:00   #577
BHPian
 
anilagdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kottayam
Posts: 198
Thanked: 59 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Anil, the pup's doing fine : he's getting back to his playful ways & trying to assert himself while at it. There's some swelling on both fore-shoulders, though the injury marks were on the left side, & below the shoulder level. Any idea what can this be ?

He did have some pain/discomfort yesterday when trying to climb down steps (though nothing noticeable when climbing up).


Apparently he was searching for me last two days when I was away at work, and went & slept in my room. Small things, but feels good !
Great news Condor, that your love is picking up quite well. Though I cannot comment on the cause of the swelling or what it could be, I think it wouldn't be anything to worry about. I suggest you don't allow him to run up and down the steps for a week or so.
anilagdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 21:46   #578
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,319
Thanked: 3,661 Times
Default

Quote:
Alter_Ego : Ok I am not shy in admitting that a small tear just rolled out of my eyes. .. I still remember when I was down with flu when I was a kid , my Dob spent the entire day with me with his chin on my lap and never left me, even for eating his share of meal.
@Surjit, any pics of him ? Dogs may be the only animal who are capable of such love.

Btw, I was feeling a little guilty about calling up for the GR before you did, since you had enquired first. Spoke to Ravi, and we felt a call can still be made. But as things would have it, the GR had found his (new) home

Quote:
anilagdr : I suggest you don't allow him to run up and down the steps for a week or so.
@Anil, thanks. The swelling is quite firm, and does not feel like a lump. He doesnt seem to be pained by that (when I touch the area). Will take him to the vet on saturday, atleast as a follow-up.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 22:40   #579
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 5,304 Times
Default

yes i agree
that is why as long as i have dogs i will never subject them to life in a miserable flat and/or loneliness - better to employ permanent domestic help who will look after them with affection when one is at work. and if one has dogs as pets one needs to be completely hands on - no question of delegation. they also know and understand well, who's the 'master' of the house and are actually quite snobbish when it comes to the domestic help etc.i ve seen this all my life and it hasnt changed yet - with my three pets at the moment!

but bangalore thankfully is wonderful for dogs - most people like them except a few idiots and those idiots anyway I can handle.
Dogs are Mans best friend, truly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post

Dogs are truly happy in the Nilgiris, especially the ones with thick coats. I have noticed that my friends boxer which he brings from Coimbatore is very active in Coonoor. Otherwise he just lays around the house in Coimbatore.
Must be the weather, call it a dogs life. Now is that negative or positive?
Bringing up a dog in Bangalore is equally difficult considering the fact that if you are living in an apartment, or even worse a locality that does not encourage letting dogs loose.

Cheers,

S

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th May 2009 at 16:24. Reason: fixed quotes
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 00:32   #580
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky_GT View Post
It felt very very nice to see all these pictures and i wish all these lovely creatures good health and amazing life
These are my two turtles and have named then Santa & Banta.
Very old pics these are got them almost a year and a half ago when i got them, will post new pics soon.
Cheerss
Wow, those turtles are absolutely awesome! Where did you get them from??
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 01:40   #581
BHPian
 
Alter_Ego's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 443
Thanked: 97 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Surjit, any pics of him ? Dogs may be the only animal who are capable of such love.

Btw, I was feeling a little guilty about calling up for the GR before you did, since you had enquired first. Spoke to Ravi, and we felt a call can still be made. But as things would have it, the GR had found his (new) home
Yes I have his pics of him back home in india on my PC.Will post them once I am back.

And Parwath, No need to feel guilty.On the contrary I am happy that you acted well in time as I was getting worried about the delay in my return and about the condition of GR till then.You delivered a good news for me which was enough to make my day.
Alter_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 09:00   #582
BHPian
 
Dicky_GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bnagalore
Posts: 46
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea1979 View Post
How do you differentiate between them? Who is santa and who is bantA?
initially there was this orange mark on their forehead so i named the one wid the bigger mark as Santa it became simpler from there on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Wow, those turtles are absolutely awesome! Where did you get them from??
thanks. they were a gift from a friend. was always a fan of tmnt .
Dicky_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 15:18   #583
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

^^^ Awesome gift! Wish I knew where to get them...
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 16:17   #584
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,947
Thanked: 4,766 Times
Default

Hey guys,
A friend of a friend has a put up a few pups for adoption. Apparently someone dropped the pregnant bitch to her doorstep 10 days ago and she delivered a few days ago. She has no idea about the breed but says the bitch was "handsome" and thinks maybe its a lab or a mixed breed between a lab and a stray.
Can anyone tell from the attached pics which breed? Is it better to get a crossbreed or a pure one?
I've been an aquarist since more than 15 years but I'm a newbie as far as taking care of dogs is concerned. Few queries:
- right time to separate the pup from it's mother?
- general tips
- dog or bitch (dogess as the terminology is now called)?

If i do land up getting one, i will ask you'll for more details.

Pics below:
Attached Images
      
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 16:25   #585
BHPian
 
nc1bad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Panjim
Posts: 166
Thanked: 15 Times
Default my pet

hi guys/gals , my pet,her name is "IVY"
Attached Images
   
nc1bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Travelling with Pets in India recker_us Route / Travel Queries 32 18th October 2016 06:04
BHPians and their pets jacs Shifting gears 2 22nd May 2013 22:38
2 BHPians and their photo-trip to the 150-year old Rosary Church, Shettihalli rjstyles69 Travelogues 31 9th February 2013 14:37
Aston Martin Opens their showroom in New Delhi, their 2nd Dealership in India Ace F355 Super-Cars & Imports in India 1 19th May 2012 20:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks