Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2010, 12:43   #1156
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,322 Times
Default

dogs also need plenty of exercise. Especially big dogs.
personally i would not endorse keeping a dog in an apartment (especially a large breed). This is compounded even more, if one does not have full time help/ family to stay with them and look after them in one's absence during the time one is away at work.

dogs, just like human children require company and constant attention + training and discipline as well. Else there is a high chance of them becoming maladjusted and destructive.

Lets realize that having a dog is a full time, hands -on committment, until the time the dog is alive and with us. After all they cannot speak and they do remain like children all their lives. All that they ask is love and companionship in return for the un-conditional affection and happiness they give us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
FyI even me and my wife both are working and ours is also a 2 BHK.
That was the sole reason for getting 2 pups instead of one.
But I leave office a little late around 10-11 and my wife gets home by 6.We have worked out a schedule like that.And the 6-7 hours the pups play among themselves.But after we get back we ensure that we are with them till 12 in the night after which they are too tired to play and resign themselves to their cozy beds and doze off.We again join them early morning by 6 and off they go to the terrace to play till 8.

My neighbours too have a golden retriever but they keep him locked for 9 to 10 hours alone but that guy takes it quite well though i feel its a bit cruel.But that dude I guess has adjusted to it.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 13:33   #1157
BHPian
 
Alter_Ego's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 443
Thanked: 97 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore View Post
@Alter_Ego.. street dogs are there in my place to.. i always follow a trick to scare the street dogs.. whenever you see a street dog in aggressive mood, just bend down and act if you are picking a stone see the reaction on the street dog, it runs or back up for sure. i too feed the street dog daily with biscuits and they are friendly with my dog and it is a kind of body guards for my dog whenever i go out with my dog.
Yeah I tried this but the thing is I have 2 pups and on seeing the strays they panic and run in different directions.I don't leash them as they are really small and vulnerable and hence its very dangerous for them running haywire on the roads in this manner.
I would rather wait till they are a bit grown up so that they are more confident in roaming the streets of bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidkun View Post
Hey Alter_ego,

In case you're interested, I had purchased a set of "potty training pads (pack of 20)" and a bottle of "potty training spray" from Paws, the pet store. I never got around to using it and now my dogs are big enough to not **** all over the house all the time. In case you would like to purchase these unopened items from me, let me know.
Caveat Emptor: Since I never used either of the items, cannot give any inputs on how well they work.
Sid,
How does this work.I mean I am not aware of any such products which are there in the market.Would definitely come down this weekend to your place and if I feel that they would work would really be interested to purchase them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
dogs also need plenty of exercise. Especially big dogs.
personally i would not endorse keeping a dog in an apartment (especially a large breed). This is compounded even more, if one does not have full time help/ family to stay with them and look after them in one's absence during the time one is away at work.

dogs, just like human children require company and constant attention + training and discipline as well. Else there is a high chance of them becoming maladjusted and destructive.

Lets realize that having a dog is a full time, hands -on committment, until the time the dog is alive and with us. After all they cannot speak and they do remain like children all their lives. All that they ask is love and companionship in return for the un-conditional affection and happiness they give us.
I knew this was coming
Agreed with you shankar but visit the HSR pet clinic near that spencer plaza and you will find out that there pups are brought from their mother when they are just a month old and kept in cages till they find a buyer just for display purposes.I also went there just to check them out and show it to my wifey.I was actually planning to get full grown dog from ranjan.Check out the previous pages where we were planning to flick a lab which was being kept in bad conditions.
But when I realised that they keep them there all night alone and howling I immediately adopted both of them which were the only pups available at that time and not to mention the high price which the vet quoted.7k each for a golden retriever and lab.The vet knew that we really felt it bad to see the pups in cages and eagerly wanting to get released.
So its anyways lot better for them even if its not the best as you said.

My pups sleep for 6 hours daily during the afternoon and I dont see any harm if I can manage my officework during that.3 out of 5 days I nowadays work from home as I will do like this till they are a bit old.
Alter_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 13:37   #1158
Senior - BHPian
 
neoonwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,648
Thanked: 597 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
dogs also need plenty of exercise. Especially big dogs.
personally i would not endorse keeping a dog in an apartment (especially a large breed). This is compounded even more, if one does not have full time help/ family to stay with them and look after them in one's absence during the time one is away at work.

dogs, just like human children require company and constant attention + training and discipline as well. Else there is a high chance of them becoming maladjusted and destructive.

Lets realize that having a dog is a full time, hands -on committment, until the time the dog is alive and with us. After all they cannot speak and they do remain like children all their lives. All that they ask is love and companionship in return for the un-conditional affection and happiness they give us.
I was worried about leaving the dog alone. Alter has got 2 puppies so may be its not an issue for him. I guess either I have to drop the idea or otherwise have to wait till my parents start living with me. Another question that I have is about the on an average monthly expenses on the dog. This is another single most important factor in the decision. One of my friends F-I-L has Dalmatian (May be misspelled) and he said, his FIL spends around 5K every month. Well may be this would be another kinda deal breaker for me :(
neoonwheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 13:46   #1159
BHPian
 
Mr.Bangalore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 359
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

@Alter_Ego. agreed you have 2 pups. you can take 1 pup at a time, in that way you will know your pup character better. and it will be a good exercise for you too..
Mr.Bangalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 13:55   #1160
BHPian
 
Alter_Ego's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 443
Thanked: 97 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
I was worried about leaving the dog alone. Alter has got 2 puppies so may be its not an issue for him. I guess either I have to drop the idea or otherwise have to wait till my parents start living with me. Another question that I have is about the on an average monthly expenses on the dog. This is another single most important factor in the decision. One of my friends F-I-L has Dalmatian (May be misspelled) and he said, his FIL spends around 5K every month. Well may be this would be another kinda deal breaker for me :(
I guess a fully grown up dog would require that much amount to be spent on it.And dalmatian comes in medium to big breeds range.So I guess that amount is pretty much justified.

In case you want to cut short on the expenses then you can get any of the following cutie pies
1. BassetHound
2. Bichon Frise
3. Dachshund
4. Lhasa Apso
5. Maltese
6. ShihTzu

All the above mentioned dogs require small to medium sized living space and are easy on the pockets too.But trust me if you consider your pet to be a family member then your won't find the expense very much.
I have had issues at office and come back in a foul mood but the moment I get back home and see my buddies waiting for me with a grin on their face i forget all the pain and suffering at office.They are just worth every penny you spend on them.Nowadays I take surprise gifts for them like bone chwey and small balls to play with.You will start loving them more than your wife.

Quote:
@Alter_Ego. agreed you have 2 pups. you can take 1 pup at a time, in that way you will know your pup character better. and it will be a good exercise for you too..
Yeah seems like a good idea buddy.Will try it today as soon as I get back home provided they let me to seperate them.They are always together and whatever one does its the duty of the other one to do it in the same manner and at the same time.Guess thats what they feel.Lolz.

Last edited by Alter_Ego : 4th May 2010 at 13:58.
Alter_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 14:05   #1161
Senior - BHPian
 
neoonwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,648
Thanked: 597 Times
Default

Well then I guess I need to wait for my parents to stay at my place. Till then I would be happy looking at my fellow BHPian's dogs .
neoonwheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 14:23   #1162
BHPian
 
Alter_Ego's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 443
Thanked: 97 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Well then I guess I need to wait for my parents to stay at my place. Till then I would be happy looking at my fellow BHPian's dogs .
Yeah even I had requested my folks to stay over and dad was like we already raised 2 good for nothing dogs.Me and my brother
Alter_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 15:35   #1163
BHPian
 
rk_sans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 961
Thanked: 602 Times
Default

Congrats, Surjit on those adorable puppies which you have got.
Here is my dog. Named : Bhima.
He is most pampered and gets royal treatment at home. And he loves my son only and none other childrens. I will post more pics of his and my son.
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc00003.jpg
rk_sans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 16:11   #1164
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 361
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
I feed them once in the morning and then keep 2 bowls full of cerelac at home while I am at office and then in the evening if they have finished the whole stuff then I feed them only only at night after lots of exercise and games on the terrace.
Cerelac should be consumed within half an hour of mixing!
MuraliR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 16:16   #1165
BHPian
 
Alter_Ego's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 443
Thanked: 97 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Congrats, Surjit on those adorable puppies which you have got.
Here is my dog. Named : Bhima.
He is most pampered and gets royal treatment at home. And he loves my son only and none other childrens. I will post more pics of his and my son.
Attachment 342702
Thats one handsome looking lab.How old is he?
And is he here in bangalore or at your native place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
Cerelac should be consumed within half an hour of mixing!
Oh thanks for the info Murali.This is really important info for me.From tomorrow I have decided to drive back home and prepare a nice meal for them myself.This will ensure that they are not alone for more than 2 hours at a stretch too.
Alter_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 16:44   #1166
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,322 Times
Default

ha!
my friend - all these two paise clinics are suddenly burgeoning in Bangalore.

I have been retaining the services these last several years, of an excellent, humane and knowledgeable doctor for my three dogs.
His name is Dr Ansar and he has a clinic in Sector 6 HSR. My pet's clinic, it is called. I would recommend him wholeheartedly. He teaches in the Vet College and comes to his clinic in the evenings 530- 8pm daily. If required he will even make house calls at a nominal cost.
There is another vet who partners with Dr Ansar sometimes - his name is Dr Srinivasan. Also an excellent man. He lives near Mangamanpalya behind HSR.

I have seen lots of funny little clinics popping up and advertising pedigree puppies and a whole host of things. I hate the way these chaps commercialize things while paying scant respect to the humanitarian aspects of pet care.

When comparing the condition of the pups in a cage and in your home - obviously your home is far better for them and the care and affection you give will make the difference in their lives.

But perhaps you should engage the services of a dog walker to keep the pets occupied while you are out.

Else, you need to get a live-in attendant as the pups grow because believe me, most dogs who are bored, do tend to become naughty, destructive etc - they are trying to get your attention thats why.

would be wonderful if your parents were to live with you - atleast their 4 legged "grandchildren" will have company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
I knew this was coming
Agreed with you shankar but visit the HSR pet clinic near that spencer plaza and you will find out that there pups are brought from their mother when they are just a month old and kept in cages till they find a buyer just for display purposes.I also went there just to check them out and show it to my wifey.I was actually planning to get full grown dog from ranjan.Check out the previous pages where we were planning to flick a lab which was being kept in bad conditions.
But when I realised that they keep them there all night alone and howling I immediately adopted both of them which were the only pups available at that time and not to mention the high price which the vet quoted.7k each for a golden retriever and lab.The vet knew that we really felt it bad to see the pups in cages and eagerly wanting to get released.
So its anyways lot better for them even if its not the best as you said.

My pups sleep for 6 hours daily during the afternoon and I dont see any harm if I can manage my officework during that.3 out of 5 days I nowadays work from home as I will do like this till they are a bit old.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 4th May 2010 at 16:46.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 16:49   #1167
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,143
Thanked: 990 Times
Default

Home bred cats seem a LOT more easier to manage after reading all the stuff you guys do...ofcourse taking them for a walk is out of the question!
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 16:56   #1168
Senior - BHPian
 
anekho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: .
Posts: 1,995
Thanked: 659 Times
Default

how easily are jack russell terriers available?
Also are they suited to our environments and heat?

cheers!
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 16:56   #1169
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 39
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Shankar,

Thanks for vouching for Dr. Ansar. His clinic is like 2 doors away from where I live, but I've never taken my dogs there, since I hadn't known about him first hand through anyone and I didn't want to take the dogs to someone I did not trust. Now that you think he is good, it is better for me coz my dogs hate traveling anywhere by car and that's what I need to do to take them to their vet.
Just to confirm , this is "My Pet's Choice - the companion animal clinic", isn't it?
sidkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 16:57   #1170
BHPian
 
SPEEDY_RACER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 392
Thanked: 157 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
his name is Dr Srinivasan. Also an excellent man. He lives near Mangamanpalya behind HSR.
I know this Srinivasan, he has one more clinic in Kormangala. once i left my Pet for boarding at his kennel, and to say frankly it got infected with some other dogs since he has kept my dog with some infected Stray dogs.

where in i blasted that guy from top to bottom.

later on i stopped giving or visiting the vet.

i know one more guy whose name is Nanjudappa, who has a clinic at Kormangala, for me he is a reliable person.

some one new can get in touch with him.
SPEEDY_RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Travelling with Pets in India recker_us Route / Travel Queries 32 18th October 2016 06:04
BHPians and their pets jacs Shifting gears 2 22nd May 2013 22:38
2 BHPians and their photo-trip to the 150-year old Rosary Church, Shettihalli rjstyles69 Travelogues 31 9th February 2013 14:37
Aston Martin Opens their showroom in New Delhi, their 2nd Dealership in India Ace F355 Super-Cars & Imports in India 1 19th May 2012 20:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:24.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks