Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 19th May 2010, 10:45   #1291
BHPian

Thank you very much Jaggu and kri$hna for your suggestions I shall surely try them.

By the was has anybody tried a medicine known as Butox, that is used while bathing a dog. It is pretty powerful, I am afraid if it might harm my dog.
Pr_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 11:37   #1292
BHPian

Default Ticks

Hi if you are in chennai i would suggest you to take him to JP pet clinic in adyar. My gsd had the issue of ticks and they used some spray which can last for about 3 months for keeping ticks away. Since then, there are no ticks in him.
MuzzledMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 12:38   #1293
Senior - BHPian

^^^ I would be very suspicious of something that can keep ticks away for as long as 3 months. Beware. If I were you, I'd want to know exactly what it is.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 13:15   #1294
BHPian

She was our beloved one lived with us for 12years, until last Sankranti. Miss her so much!!
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-cindy.jpg  

tantragna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 13:17   #1295
BHPian

Keeps ticks away for 3 months, that is good to hear. Are you sure that the spray stays on the dog even after bathing the dog.

I give the dog a bath once in a week.
Pr_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 14:33   #1296
BHPian

Default Bangalore - Hyderabad in a palio with a pet - TIGER!

I and my wife have planned a vacation to my native, Hyderabad, for 10 days from May 27th till June 6th, to attend a few functions and be with my parents there. We have a pet dog, Tiger, with us here in bangalore. After a long drawn discussion and confusions, I have decided to drive down to hyd in our palio. My pet, Tiger, is very much used to sitting in the car because I usually take him along with me in the car when visiting his pet shop or a few friends' places nearby. However I havent done an extended journey like this with him earlier.

He is 6.5 months now and the front seat is not enough space for him. He spreads up and occupies the rear seat usually and when he is at the rear, he also moves and fiddles a little. I want to know what precautions/steps to take while travelling with a pet dog. obviously he ll not wear seatbelt, so what to do for that ? he is tied very rarely at home and enjoys freedom, sits and stays on command because i give him the freedom to move around in the house. Most probably I and my wife will occupy the front seats and tiger has the rear seat all to himself. But i am not sure if it is a safe arrangement.

How to take care of him on the journey and what to/what not to feed him ?
i plan to start early at 3.00 AM from bangy so that i reach hyd by lunch time. Tiger's first meal starts at 7am on an usual day. So what to do with his feeding habits?

please do guide me.
kri$hna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 19:12   #1297
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
Can you tell me what do you feed your GSD and how much ? What is the exercise routine ?

My guy eats very little, may be 1 cup of natural trainer food. I am going to give him 2 eggs per day starting tomorrow, so that he atleast has those along with the kibbles. What diet do you suggest ?
Hey, don't worry dude.

This is 1 more category of German Shepherds. They just don't eat because they haven't built that apatite. Things to check:

1. Dewarming within 3 months.
2. Digestive issues.
3. Temperament of the dog.

There are many more reasons why a dog would suddenly stop eating. Like missing his owner, mating season, many people feeding, feeling lonely, weather. GSDs don't eat much when it is too hot, try giving food at night.

Basically, If your dog does not eat much from the birth itself, nothing much to worry.. that's how he is. Since the dog does not each much from birth, his apatite is low and stomach is small. Increase his apatite with food boosters this will increase the stomach and he will feel more hungry. Another way to do this is exercise. Regular walks don't make them tired, make them do things which make them tired. Ideal way to do this is "Fetch ball". The more they run, more they get tired and more food will be digested resulting in hunger of food.

Other than this, suggest a vet and ask him to check if the dog has any digestive issues. Or the easiest way is feed him 1.25KG of chicken daily and spoil his health completely

Quote:
By the was has anybody tried a medicine known as Butox, that is used while bathing a dog. It is pretty powerful, I am afraid if it might harm my dog.
You get a paste which you have to apply on the dog's spine which would kill all the ticks. Check the forum for the name of the paste, Shankar has mentioned it earlier. If your dog is less than 1year old, you can use medicines and other stuff to remove the ticks, however it is not a permanent solution. Ticks are taken care by the dog's mother, but since most of the dogs don't stay with their mothers, the ticks rule. However, don't worry a lot, once your dog is old enough the ticks will automatically go away forever.

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 19th May 2010 at 19:16.
Ranjan Sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 14:12   #1298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Hey, don't worry dude.

This is 1 more category of German Shepherds. They just don't eat because they haven't built that apatite. Things to check:

1. Dewarming within 3 months.
2. Digestive issues.
3. Temperament of the dog.

There are many more reasons why a dog would suddenly stop eating. Like missing his owner, mating season, many people feeding, feeling lonely, weather. GSDs don't eat much when it is too hot, try giving food at night.

Basically, If your dog does not eat much from the birth itself, nothing much to worry.. that's how he is. Since the dog does not each much from birth, his apatite is low and stomach is small. Increase his apatite with food boosters this will increase the stomach and he will feel more hungry. Another way to do this is exercise. Regular walks don't make them tired, make them do things which make them tired. Ideal way to do this is "Fetch ball". The more they run, more they get tired and more food will be digested resulting in hunger of food.
Hmmm
1. Deworming done regularly since the time he was 2 months old
2. Digestive Issues - i dont think so, coz his poop is regular & doesnt hav any problems of constipation or like that
3. Temperament - probably

Its only me and my wife who feed the dog, and most of the time, its me who walks him everyday. So he knows whats happening around and it is pretty regular for him. I play a few games, but i m myself so lazy

Will try playing the fetch game with him, make him run and check if there is any increase in hunger for food.
BTW, whats the food booster you were mentioning ? Where is it available in bangalore, which brand etc .. share some details plz

And what do you feel by seeing his pics ? Is he looking underweight/malnourished? i feel most of the dogs are either good or over weight, rarely i find a pet dog being slim and under weight, and ppl call my pet one of those !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Other than this, suggest a vet and ask him to check if the dog has any digestive issues. Or the easiest way is feed him 1.25KG of chicken daily and spoil his health completely
he he , good suggestion, but we dont cook chicken at home, and even my tiger doesnt eat much of non-veg. He is a south indian, curd rice type !!
kri$hna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 17:12   #1299
Team-BHP Support

I'm fairly certain this has been discussed somewhere here before, but could not seem to find it. Do try searching around a little.

Heres a related thread for now : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...og-lovers.html (India - pet friendly hotels/ stopovers? Calling all dog lovers)

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 14:45   #1300
BHPian

Guys,

My friend would like to give out these 3 kittens for free to genuine cat lovers,
The kittens are 1month old and they haven't been vaccinated but very healthy.
You can pick them up from Bangalore.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-2.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-3.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-4.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-1.jpeg  

akshay_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2010, 16:55   #1301
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Guys,

My friend would like to give out these 3 kittens for free to genuine cat lovers,
The kittens are 1month old and they haven't been vaccinated but very healthy.
You can pick them up from Bangalore.
I will pick one of them, have sent you a PM
Old 26th May 2010, 09:05   #1302
Senior - BHPian

1.Peter Pan in the car.

2.Duke is a cross between a boxer and a dane.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-image0116.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-image0117.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-image0126.jpg  

Last edited by beejay : 26th May 2010 at 09:07.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 23:06   #1303
BHPian

HELP!!

I need to travel to Mysore tomorrow night with my 2 dogs riding in the back. We travel quite frequently with them from Bangalore to Mysore to my in-laws place.They usually aren't the most relaxed of travelers and keep shuffling and standing up and putting their faces to the windows, at least for the first 20 mins until they settle down.. In the process, they end up drooling all over the windows and I clean this up when we return from the trip.
Now the issue is that I've just installed Llumar sun films on the windows today evening and I'm not supposed to roll down the windows for at least a day. How do I prevent the sun film from getting damaged?

One thought was to get lots of cling wrap and put it on the windows. Or a plastic sheet.

Even otherwise, now that there's sunfilm on, how do I prevent it from getting scratched by their noses. Rolling down the windows while traveling is not an option since on the Mysore highway the high speed would cause drag and general disturbance if the windows were rolled down fully.
sidkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 10:26   #1304
BANNED

Thread is dead from quite a time which I don't like

Cats are my friend's.. not mine.
Attached Images

Old 5th June 2010, 17:50   #1305
BHPian

My Labrador,
7 years old, good and seasoned traveller. Best personal effort so far, 18 hrs in a Qualis non-stop except for one toilet break. (Bangalore - Pune)
Attached Images

modthomas is offline   Reply With Quote