Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 29th July 2010, 00:38   #1411
Senior - BHPian

@Ariesonu Congrats, that is a massive tank, would love to see the real pics, but as you said privacy issues.The equipment required for the tank should be expensive.
agspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 13:05   #1412
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@AGSPINS: Yeah it is, the tank itself is around 20K. The final call will be around 1L. The owner was insisting on buying some real expensive fishes but since this is his first ever fish tank, I had my reservations.
So for now it'll be TWO Flowerhorn fishes in main tank. Turtles in their own. The idea to have singular lengthwise running slot at back was to give it natural background. So in will go live plants with Guppies, Kois & Angels.
Attached is 3D view of tank. Will get pics once tank has matured & is completed. The owner is OK with that.
My Aqua.pdf
ariesonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 13:36   #1413
BHPian

While on fishes, i had been to the newly opened(?) aqua super-market in HRBR layout named 'varsha aquamax'. It IS impressive. Both marine/freshwater tanks are displayed. The massive planted tank and the marine aqua were too good to look at. It's a virtual super-market for those into this hobby. Was almost tempted.
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 16:46   #1414
Senior - BHPian

Here's my 30 days old Boxer..... Named him Berry

Hope you guys like him !!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp b1.bmp (801.7 KB, 250 views)
chiragh_bir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 16:04   #1415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragh_bir View Post

He is very cute Chirag. But you should not have docked his tail. It was a part of his body naturally occuring to him.
Jayabusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2010, 21:15   #1416
Senior - BHPian

Docking of tails is inhuman! Come on what if someone cuts off one of your limbs? just so that you look better?
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 23:45   #1417
BHPian

hi guys
after going thru this thread my old passion for fish keeping was rekindled.
i used to have lot of gold fish and gupies in my schooldays,but due to lack of time i quit 20 yrs back.now i am seriously thinking of going at it in full throttle.my queris to all the fish lovers are.
1)i have planned for an 30"X15" aquqrium.options are a custom made glass tanks or a moulded glass tank imported from china-which should i go for?a custom made tank will leak in a couple of years-is this true?
2)obviously it is a fresh water tank for me- what brand of air pump and filter is good
3)ideas about lighting.is there a light that prevents algae growth.how many hours should the light be on?
4)is it a good idea to go for live plants
5)the wooden rack i am having is 30'x15",can i go for a tank that is little bit longer than the base.
regarding the fishes-guys u have to help me in this,the type of fish and the no of fish .

agspins,ariesonu,pramod i will be expecting your valuble in puts.
thanks in advance.
drbabuanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 00:31   #1418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragh_bir View Post

Its looking great

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Docking of tails is inhuman! Come on what if someone cuts off one of your limbs? just so that you look better?
If thatís in human then when human is born they should not cut umbilical cord tails are docked in 2nd week or sometime in the first week of its birth. The medical science has very simple techniques and sophisticated tools for docking the tail also some imported gels so that it will not get infected. I have spoken to many Dr and they say at that age it will be like an injection.
vinayvtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 01:31   #1419
Distinguished - BHPian

Did you know, then, that it is banned in UK? A vet will not do it.

There is no comparison with an umbilical cord: dogs have those too, all mammals do.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 09:54   #1420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
Its looking great

If thatís in human then when human is born they should not cut umbilical cord tails are docked in 2nd week or sometime in the first week of its birth. The medical science has very simple techniques and sophisticated tools for docking the tail also some imported gels so that it will not get infected. I have spoken to many Dr and they say at that age it will be like an injection.

You cannot compare it with cutting the umbilical cord!

Its not about the pain associated with it.Dogs use the tail!

Does your hand have a special purpose or should it just be cut off when you're born?

Dogs use the tail to balance themselves,show emotions,

By the way it has been proved in Various agility dog shows that Dogs are more agile and have better directional changes with a tail than without it.Also when the dogs sit have you seen they first wag their tail and then sit down.Its to clear the area where then sit.Its a natural learning they have to protect themselves from infections due to flies and dust etc.

Most of the Vets in India are a Joke and are merely Minting money.Every anatomical part has a function.

By the way how does the Vet or anybody else in the whole world know how much is it going to pain? Have they cut thier own hand using the same "high tech" techniques. Or do they have a Talking Dog?

Simply not done!
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 11:29   #1421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbabuanand View Post
hi guys
after going thru this thread my old passion for fish keeping was rekindled.
i used to have lot of gold fish and gupies in my schooldays,but due to lack of time i quit 20 yrs back.now i am seriously thinking of going at it in full throttle.my queris to all the fish lovers are.
1)i have planned for an 30"X15" (WHAT HEIGHT???? My below suggestions are for, lets say, minimum height of 18") aquqrium.options are a custom made glass tanks or a moulded glass tank imported from china-which should i go for?a custom made tank will leak in a couple of years-is this true?
Its completely your choice (including Vitamin M) Custom tank costs about 1/4th of the Chinese tanks. I have been using same CUSTOM made tanks since last six years & they have shifted homes three times, without any leakages.
The size you are looking at shall cost you about Rs 1500 for 6MM & Rs 2200-2500 for 8MM glass one.
Go for 8MM one.
Chinese should cost about 8K+.
Buy "PIANO" type galvanised metal hood or you can also go for acrylic one(Costly affair) Then you can store food & other accessories just above the tank.
You will be surprised to know that fishes commit SUICIDE by jumping out of tanks. so do buy a GOOD-HOOD.

2)obviously it is a fresh water tank for me- what brand of air pump and filter is good
No specific brands for airpumps. Just run the pump at shop & buy one that builds good pressure & makes less noise. You will also find pumps with two outlets. These are suitable for your tank size. Cost between Rs. 500-750/-
Filters: Dolphin is one relaible brand that I use. There are some better ones too but outrageouly expensive.

3)ideas about lighting.is there a light that prevents algae growth.how many hours should the light be on?
Flourescent ones, You will get good ones at Fish shop itself. Can cost upwards of Rs 300/- including lamp. The algae will form if you keep tank too close to area where sunlight can reach it. I have additionally fixed 11w CFL lamps which remain on for the daytime & switch ON main lights only towards the evening & switch off ALL before going to bed. I'll post pics of the inside of my tank hood to give you better idea. Fishes prefer dark nooks & corners. They actually play hide & seek full day long.

4)is it a good idea to go for live plants
Not if you are just starting up. They can create mess & often end up being more expensive than plastic ones. Instead buy different colored plastic ones with lost of decorations but DO NOT crowd your tank. Visualise a theme & decorate your tank.

5)the wooden rack i am having is 30'x15",can i go for a tank that is little bit longer than the base.
NO. The tank should STRICTLY be within dimesions of the rack better still if smaller by few MM.
Remember a filled tank can weigh more than an average adult. Do you think your rack can take that load?
Suggest you post/PM me the pic of place where you intend to place the tank & I will be able to guide you properly.

regarding the fishes-guys u have to help me in this,the type of fish and the no of fish .
Each type of fish requires certain amount of area in the tank. For your tank size; buy fishes that are not bigger than SIX inches in length & about THREE pairs (SIX fishes) should be best for the tank. Do NOT add MORE or you'll find the weakest of them all, floating on the top next morning.
Avoid gold fishes (They look beautiful but can be DISAPPOINTMENT for newbie) They contaminate water very fast.

If opting for custom tank then DO NOT forget to place a sheet of thermacol under the tank. This will provide uniform pressure all over the base of tank once filled.

**You will also need some chemicals & medicines which I write about later.

Tanks require partial water changes, every 15 days, Complete cleaning every two/three months & this becomes boring after sometime & one chooses to delay it day by day till one fine day you find your water fellows floating on the top of tank. So be cautioned; with time one tends to get drifted away from fish tanks.

agspins,ariesonu,pramod i will be expecting your valuble in puts.
thanks in advance.

@drbabuanand: Please find my replies/suggestiones in BOLD.

Raab Rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 6th August 2010 at 11:41.
Old 6th August 2010, 14:16   #1422
BHPian

ariesonu
thanks for the detailed reply.
chienese tanks are starting at a price of 11k onwards,so i will go for the custom made 8mm saint gobain{if avilable}.
i will definitely go for a hood.
the shopwalla said i should go for atleast 20 fishes,now i will settle for 3 or 4 pairs.
you mentioned somewhere about drift wood,what is it.
instead of pebbles can i go for only sand.
will keep all u said in my mind when i go to the pet shop.
i dont know how to thank you in punjabi,so will just say--"Rab Rakha"
drbabuanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 15:17   #1423
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Once a friend of mine who had dobermans told me that the the tail is cut off because the tail is long in dobermans and therefore it puts pressure on the backbone.

^^ Is this true ? or just a load of BS?

On a recent trip to the VET, i saw a PUG being operated upon. One of its eyes popped out :( ... it was heartbreaking to see the dog, post operation!!
aZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 15:17   #1424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbabuanand View Post
ariesonu
thanks for the detailed reply.
chienese tanks are starting at a price of 11k onwards,so i will go for the custom made 8mm saint gobain{if avilable}.
ST Gobain is Good.. Preaferably use SG only for FRONT & SIDES.
i will definitely go for a hood.

the shopwalla said i should go for atleast 20 fishes,now i will settle for 3 or 4 pairs.
20 Fishes in this size tank. Seems he wants to sell his entire shop to you.
you mentioned somewhere about drift wood,what is it.
Its sort of marine wood. Supposedly the type that has been washed ashore from sea etc. But they are preferable for marine tanks.

instead of pebbles can i go for only sand.
Sand is difficult to clean & if you intend to change the sand during every quarterly cleaning, you may end up killing your fishes.

will keep all u said in my mind when i go to the pet shop.
i dont know how to thank you in punjabi,so will just say--"Rab Rakha"

Pls mention the height of your intended tank for more info.
Basic things you'll require:
1) Tank
2) Pebbles/stones/marble granules for bedding
3) Decorations (max 3 pieces) Buy the ones that are not sharp or have edges that may hurt fishes. Those colorful cylinders are great.
4) Air pump
5) Air hose (buy about 5-7 metres)
6) Plastic valves, to regulate air
7) Nets
8) Filter (Size: In relation to the size of tank)

I'll try posting pics of some accessories tomorrow.

Raab Rakha means (God be your caretaker)

Last edited by ariesonu : 6th August 2010 at 15:22.
Old 6th August 2010, 15:52   #1425
Senior - BHPian

@Drbabuanand Most of your queries have been answered by Ariesonu, AFA driftwood goes you can get them in plenty in Kerala, just get in touch with Pramodkumar, another very helpful guy.He can even help you in building your own tank from scratch.I haven't really started my project yet, as space constraints are yet to be sorted.
agspins is offline   Reply With Quote