Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 14th August 2010, 13:57   #1456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
how is pedigree?

Yummy, angel finishes in in seconds, we give her vitamin tabs and egg shells for calcium.

Guys i have a question, my female boxer casper has started humping anything she can find, does that mean she is going to be in heat soon, she had 2 heat seasons before but never did this before, this time i am planning to get her crossed. Please let me know, its embarrassing when she humps visitors

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 14th August 2010 at 13:58.
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 21:36   #1457
Senior - BHPian

Pedigree is ok but i'd still suggest royal canin.Atleast till the pup becomes one year of age.this is the growing time.feed him the best stuff so that he can grow up big and strong with great bones.Later its a matter of sustaining the same body so then pedigree mixed with home food can be used.

do check out various tests and comparisons available on the net for dog foods.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 11:27   #1458
Senior - BHPian

sure. thanks a lot for the advice.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 10:18   #1459
BHPian

Guys, I would not really recommend commercial food (other than royal canin) as regular food. This is because of the high salt content on them which will reduce the scenting capability of the doggy.
My GSD ozzy is extremely choosy guy for food. Finally what we did was a very simple thing.
Minced Beef is available for rupees 76 half a kilo. Simply take a portion of that, mix it will half cup of rice and boil till it cooks out with the rice. Add a little turmeric powder. If you have an induction electric stove, the whole thing will get finished in 15 minutes flat. This food is having following advantages
1. Can regulate the amount of meat
2. Rice intake will keep the pup healthy and less prone to troubles
3. Can add literally anything what the pup likes onto the mix when it boils
4. Vets appreciate this ;-)

Calcium and vitamin supplement is a must for puppies on a daily basis.
For those who have troubles with hair shedding, never give chicken as it worsens it due to heat.
I use a soya mineral supplement called "FATS UP" which worked wonders on my GSD. It is recommended for dermatitis and flea and tick control also.
MuzzledMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 12:56   #1460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Raj why don't you feed him royal canin etc.my rotweiller is on royal canin since day one and is really growing well and strong.its a well balanced diet for the dog.also talk to the vet and give him adequate calcium and multivitamins.excercise his rear legs well.so that he doesn't stoop low from behind in his later age.the best way is to leave the pup in a bunker dug up to a good depth.he'll try to get out of it.and in this process he'll excercise his rear legs well.this is the method used by army to train its german shepperds.
That's craziest thing I ever heard about GSDs.

The stoop is after the excercise not due to lac

If your GSD does not exercise much, it will not get the stoop. The stoop is the best feature of a GSD and makes them look awesome. You would be surprised, but better breeds have more stoop. Mixed breeds have less.

@Raj - No fishes to Dogs. I wonder which Vet suggested you.
Googleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 14:21   #1461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
thanks for that advice. is it really that bad?
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 14:43   #1462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
thanks for that advice. is it really that bad?
Some raw fish can cause a deficiency of the vitamin thiamine.

Fish is a food that is naturally high is Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. Too much (or an incorrect ratio) of these fatty acids may lead to clotting problems, deficiencies of Vitamin E and other vitamins, or skin problems.

No food is harmful for a dog. Only if you want a well grown and groomed dog, perfect diet is required. Just for the sake of living, it can do with stale, rotten food also.

Note from Support: Please do not copy from an external editor like MS word. It leaves behind formatting tags.

Last edited by Eddy : 16th August 2010 at 15:34.
Old 16th August 2010, 18:55   #1463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's craziest thing I ever heard about GSDs.

The stoop is after the excercise not due to lac

If your GSD does not exercise much, it will not get the stoop. The stoop is the best feature of a GSD and makes them look awesome. You would be surprised, but better breeds have more stoop. Mixed breeds have less.

Makes them look awesome huh.i am wondering why the hell do people do thing just because it looks awesome to them?

German shepherds are working dogs.They were straight back dogs.and because of the stupidity of some people they made the breed stoop down.

Do you know that it actually causes loads of problems in old age and in some cases that i have seen at the vets the stoop actually causes the hind legs to paralyze.

Check out this video for further clarifications.

and this detailed discription of the GSD.check out the controversy part.it clearly states that these stoops actually cause diseases in dogs including Hip Displexia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Shepherd_Dog

Last edited by navpreet318 : 16th August 2010 at 18:58.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 06:14   #1464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Makes them look awesome huh.i am wondering why the hell do people do thing just because it looks awesome to them?

German shepherds are working dogs.They were straight back dogs.and because of the stupidity of some people they made the breed stoop down.

Do you know that it actually causes loads of problems in old age and in some cases that i have seen at the vets the stoop actually causes the hind legs to paralyze.

and this detailed discription of the GSD.check out the controversy part.it clearly states that these stoops actually cause diseases in dogs including Hip Displexia.

German Shepherd Dog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You really didn't understand the document. Did you?

People didn't make it look awesome, it looks the way it is and that's what makes it different from all dogs. I don't understand what made you call some people stupid who made the breed stoop down. Firstly, noone made it.

You are right about the hip Displexia thingy, it happens to GSDs due to their make, but it's not done by some human as you claim. Probably if you owned a GSD or would try to own, you would know what causes hip displexia to the dogs.

Having kept GSDs all my life and I still have 3 of them with me. Trust me, you go to a breeder and tell him you want a pure breed with straight back, he will laugh on your face. A Dog's built defines their personality. Dobermans have slim and long legs with a streamlined body because they are fast runners and use their hind legs to push themselves, wherein GSD does that from their front legs.
Old 18th August 2010, 16:27   #1465
BHPian

Default My pug needs a new home

Due to some personal reasons, we are unable to have our pet pug in our house and hence he is looking for a new home . We are looking for some one who really can take care of him. He is a male pug, 1.5 years old. Do PM me in case anyone is willing to have him in your home.
joecherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2010, 11:46   #1466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Due to some personal reasons, we are unable to have our pet pug in our house and hence he is looking for a new home . We are looking for some one who really can take care of him. He is a male pug, 1.5 years old. Do PM me in case anyone is willing to have him in your home.
Joe,
Check your PM and let me know.
Alter_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2010, 12:22   #1467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Joe,
Check your PM and let me know.
Don't tell me you are ready to adopt this one too.

You are overtaking me in keeping dogs. As far as I remember, this will add up to be 4?

2 Labs+1 GR+ 1 Pug?
Old 20th August 2010, 14:23   #1468
BHPian

Quote:
Don't tell me you are ready to adopt this one too.

You are overtaking me in keeping dogs. As far as I remember, this will add up to be 4?

2 Labs+1 GR+ 1 Pug?
LOL...would have been true but currently my other pets are at my farm in Kerala.I had to go abroad for a short trip and hence had to drop them off with my folks and now they are refusing to leave that farm as there is abundant space for them to playaround and make merry.

So as of now my bangalore home is devoid of any animal buddies
So would love to take in joe's pug and make it mine.
Alter_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2010, 14:46   #1469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
LOL...would have been true but currently my other pets are at my farm in Kerala.I had to go abroad for a short trip and hence had to drop them off with my folks and now they are refusing to leave that farm as there is abundant space for them to playaround and make merry.

So as of now my bangalore home is devoid of any animal buddies
So would love to take in joe's pug and make it mine.

ok Beware. Pugs fart like humans checkout youtube for demo.
Old 20th August 2010, 14:48   #1470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
Guys, I would not really recommend commercial food (other than royal canin) as regular food. This is because of the high salt content on them which will reduce the scenting capability of the doggy.
My GSD ozzy is extremely choosy guy for food. Finally what we did was a very simple thing.
Minced Beef is available for rupees 76 half a kilo. Simply take a portion of that, mix it will half cup of rice and boil till it cooks out with the rice. Add a little turmeric powder. If you have an induction electric stove, the whole thing will get finished in 15 minutes flat. This food is having following advantages
1. Can regulate the amount of meat
2. Rice intake will keep the pup healthy and less prone to troubles
3. Can add literally anything what the pup likes onto the mix when it boils
4. Vets appreciate this ;-)

Calcium and vitamin supplement is a must for puppies on a daily basis.
For those who have troubles with hair shedding, never give chicken as it worsens it due to heat.
I use a soya mineral supplement called "FATS UP" which worked wonders on my GSD. It is recommended for dermatitis and flea and tick control also.
I too give my doggies the home food as prescribed above but kept the pedigree pack too as once a week extra meal and in between to snack while playing..
By the by I have a male Dalmation(7 years), a male Lab(6 months) and 2 Lhasa Apso; a pair(6 years).
manjo is offline   Reply With Quote