Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 28th July 2008, 13:19   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
If you want it to be KA, then got to do the transfer of ownership in Bangalore RTO. For that you got to be a resident in Bangalore. Life is tough.

@WhiteKnight ... Thanks. I'll be using it in Delhi.

I checked with an agent in Bangalore ... he confirmed that the Transfer of Ownership would have to be done in Delhi.
WizardOfDoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 14:06   #32
Senior - BHPian

Bumping this thread. Any idea how much the road tax etc is for New Bombay RTO? I'm considering a shift to New Bombay from Bangalore.
reignofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 23:49   #33
Senior - BHPian

ROC,
Hope your Cedia is running well.

Coincidentally, I am also contemplating a move to Mumbai from Bangalore with my 2 cars and AFAIK, the costs involved are 4% Octroi and 7% road tax based on invoice value less some discount (maybe). Unsure if New Mumbai RTO will levy the octroi or not. Another issue is Entry tax. I am getting conflicting answers about this - some forums mention a compulsory 12.5% (!) entry tax for vehicles less than 30 months old while others state nil if you can prove that you paid full VAT at 12.5% during vehicle purchase. The latter is clearly mentioned in the car invoice I am sure.

I spoke to a knowledgeable guy at the WIAA and he mentioned that if my invoice clearly mentions that 12.5% VAT was paid, then MH cannot levy an Entry tax.

The 4% octroi & 7% road tax stands (for me at least).

Hope this helps. Do let me know if you can clarify about the 12.5% entry tax!
itwasntme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 11:54   #34
Senior - BHPian

Entry tax! That sounds ludicrous. Someone told me that the Road Tax is around 7.5% of the Ex showroom price and for a year old car, it'll be 93% of it. The octroi bit I'm not sure about new mumbai. Might be applicable there too. Can someone from mumbai please help!

Last edited by reignofchaos : 4th September 2008 at 11:56.
Old 4th September 2008, 16:18   #35
BHPian

tell me more. I have shifted my car with registration TN to mumbai last week without any formalities. I am hesitant to take it out. I am told the entire process of re-registration would cost me a neat packet.
aabidansari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 20:03   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
You can drive your "private" vehicle to any part of india.

I think the time frame if you wish to use in any particular state/union territory is 6 months. After that you need to get NOC and registed in the place you are in.

Well that is the rule.
If I get NOC and pay the tax wont that be enough. Do i need to register it in the new state?
prasanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 20:26   #37
Senior - BHPian

You need to reregister in the new state if you are staying for more than a year. Otherwise you can continue with your old registration.
Old 23rd October 2008, 20:39   #38
BHPian

I recently shifted from Mumbai to Bangalore. For my 4 year old NHC, I ended up shelling 87k for life time road tax. This is being borne by my company so I am keeping quiet. If it was my own charge, i would have not re-registered it here. If the cops catch, just pay 100-200 bucks and bolt off. This is any day much much lesser than the ridiculous amounts charged by the Bangalore RTO. Sad are the ways of each state. Why should we shell ridiculous amounts if you drive your car in another state in the same country
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 20:41   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
You need to reregister in the new state if you are staying for more than a year. Otherwise you can continue with your old registration.
I was told that you need not change your registration number if you get transfered from one state to another. You do need to pay road tax. If that is done, you can show the receipt and the cops will let you go.
The re-registration is done mostly to save yourself from undue harassment. I plan to not change my registration number, as I may go back to Mumbai in another couple of years.
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 20:50   #40
Senior - BHPian

I don't think Octroi will be levied if you are shifting to Navi Mumbai.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 14:01   #41
BHPian

Default Query about car registration number

I have a question about car registration number. My friend has bought a car from MP and he is located in Mumbai. Can he use the car in Mumbai without changing his number from MP to MH?

I have seen many people using other states cars/bikes in other states then where they were registered.

Please help in this matter.
tarunmadhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 14:23   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

He can use his car max for a month and will need a valid license from UP and house proof. But he'll constantly be harassed by cops. Technically you are allowed for a month before you need to transfer the vehicle to the local RTO. He can keep trying to bluff his way saying that he has just come but sooner or later the same cop will catch him again and then its checkmate.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 14:28   #43
BHPian

I was told that a Entra tax of 7.5% on the invoice and 4.5% octroi again on invoice and 12.5% as sales tax has to be paid for getting the MP registered car to MH registration. The invoice being 7.53lakhs the transfer works out to be a big amount. Help.
madhokritesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 14:37   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhokritesh View Post
I was told that a Entra tax of 7.5% on the invoice and 4.5% octroi again on invoice and 12.5% as sales tax has to be paid for getting the MP registered car to MH registration. The invoice being 7.53lakhs the transfer works out to be a big amount. Help.
I don't know all those details. Maybe someone else may help you on that. Try contacting an agent.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 17:57   #45
BHPian

Default Can NoC be obtained without the car being present at that time?

I want to shift to Kolkata from Bangalore shortly, with my car (Getz GLX 2008 model). My car is KA registered.

I will have a residence in Bangalore as well as in Kolkata (with proof) for now. However, Kolkata certainly seems to be the likely permanent home for my car.

Reading several threads here, I understood that:

1. I need to take NoC from Bangalore RTO and pay road tax in West Bengal.
2. Re-register my car in Bengal? (Is this needed?) But i can do this anyway.

The more important question for me (as of now) is:
Can I take my car to Kolkata now without a NoC and get the NoC from Bangalore RTO later (after a month or two)? I will come to Bangalore many times before 3 months or 6 months deadline.

Or, do the RTO guys want to see the car while giving the NoC? I don't want to bring my car back to get the NoC.

Time is an issue now for me!
deb_majumdar is offline   Reply With Quote