Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 27th March 2006, 17:02   #1
Exo
BHPian

Default *embarased* how long would it take to...

Sup?,not sure if this in the right forum but here goes..

I'm probably the only one who'll ever say this so pay attention : I cant ride a cycle, my uncle tried to teach me once but I had to leave after a day and it didnt go that well.

I can drive reasonably well( usually win races and can keep up with relaitvly mild trafic - by dhaka standerds), and my grandfather recently offfered to buy me a motorbike( he has a thing for em) and really wants me to learn to ride.

So my Q is: how long would it take to actually learn to ride a bike at my age, any sugestions if people ask *** I'm doing(other than practising on the roof) and in what sort of timeframe could I begin riding a motorbike?

Thanks!
Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 17:09   #2
BHPian

iff u know how to ride a fourwheel so it won't be hard for u to understand traffic. only thing that u need to be comfertable with is clutch settings and some balancing

Falling is a part of game so you have to deal with it today or later so why not do it today .. get yourself a small time two wheeler and get your hand set for the clutch and gear fundas and thats it.

Onc can do it in a day or even a week but that all depends on your will.

Remember where therez a Will there a way buddy

Last edited by sinner : 27th March 2006 at 17:12.
sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 17:11   #3
BHPian

dude.. i suggest that u get ur balancing right on the cycle first..then proceed to mayb a scoother n then the motorbike.. dunno thats jus the way i did it
buzzin_hornets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 17:16   #4
BHPian

hey man first start on a normal cycle then a moped then a bike that way you can learn your balancing forst then your brake and accelaration and then the gears and clutch the whole process is pretty easy but it depends on you how long you will take to learn!try getting a light bike at first like we have the yamaha rx-100 i learned on it anyway im riding a kinetic from age 12 anyway best of luck be careful and please use protection!(as in helmet)hehe ride on!!
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 17:28   #5
Team-BHP Support

It is always better to get the balance on a cycle first before moving into motorized two-wheelers.

Have seen lots of women who move into motorized two-wheelers directly and end up in accidents due to lack of balance.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 17:36   #6
BHPian

Hey EXO, no need to be embarassed. You are not alone! Although I do know how to ride a cycle and gearless bikes, I haven't gotten myself to learn how to ride a geared one yet! Tried learning once. Lets just say that was what you would call an 'experience'. In other words, I crashed and burned :P.

Still in the process of building up the courage to start learning again. Hope I will get there someday!

Godspeed.

Alok.
ghostrider4385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 17:53   #7
BHPian

Well I would suggest get a gearless bike/scooter first get used to balancing in that first, learning this in a cycle is not an answer, you should get used to acceleration and quick decelaration, and this you can do only on a gearless vehicle, once you are comfy with this then move to motorbikes. Yes you could move to a mobike in the first place but the learning curve could be a bit longer in this case.

Ride safe use a helmet always.
anarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 18:17   #8
Team-BHP Support

khub kotthin kichhu naa... but it may take you upto a week before you are sure you can hold your balance on a two wheeler. However, start with a cycle. Remember, falling a few times is par for the course. And when you fall make sure you are riding a light cycle... that way you may just get away with no injuries or at worst some minor bruises. Move to a motorized two wheeler only when you can ride a cycle in full confidence.

P.S. : When you are learning ot ride it is best not to involve unnecessary complications of an engine and other attached controlling devices.

Last edited by Zappo : 27th March 2006 at 18:20.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 18:40   #9
BHPian

well learning ability is inversely propotional to age ... if u think you are old enough then forget it
cheatingdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2006, 16:34   #10
Exo
BHPian

Default Thanks all!

Thanks for the encouregment! I spent a few hours these past few days on various cycles of friends and can go about 5-6 feet without falling of. Lol you shoulda seen the look on my dad's face when I asked if I could have a bike(most of my friends asking for thier own apartments and all), said he'd think about it.
Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2006, 17:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

Start with a small gearless scooter like the Scooty or sumtin like that. Then move to the 100cc bikes, then 150cc, then 400cc, then 600cc and ultimately the 1000cc SBK's
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2006, 00:04   #12
BHPian

Start with a bicycle and get ur balence first, then try on a non geared moped and later think abt a geared on, by the way u have not mentioned ur age !!
jango is offline   Reply With Quote