Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 7th June 2004, 23:52   #1
Team-BHP Support

Hi guys.
This is the subject very close to my heart. For all the petrol-heads like you, I think
It's my duty to share one aspect, which you all probably miss. Imaging for automobile.
Whatever you see an auto ad in magazines is digitally manipulated.
There is nothing wrong manipulating an image of a car. The simple reason is the subject 'automobile' comes with an unique problem. They have highly reflective surface to catch all unwanted reflections and glints which you don't like to see in the final picture.
I took up this problematic subject four years back. There were two reasons:
1. I was hooked to the high- end software like Photoshop, Live Picture for their potentials.
2. My unconditional love for automobiles. Especially for various shapes and forms.
When you see a picture of a moving car, are that car was not moving at all during the shoot. To shoot a moving car and keeping the right depth of field requires a contraption known as rig. This is not a practice in our country because it's very expensive and there is no photographer who can shoot cars properly. I'm sorry to put it down as fact without any quorums but that's the reality. I believe, to shoot car one needs to love car first. It cannot be a subject to add on to portfolio.
I do take pride to put it up front that a properly shot car picture turns me on more than a babe's picture in GQ.
Putting here few shots for your understanding. Today I'm confident to change the light/time of the shoot. Add enough punch to make you drool. I do take pleasure to work on car image. This is not my job. This is my passion.
Cheers guys. Enjoy. Put down your comments.

For GTO

For ported head

For everybody. My all time love. For a 8ft poster

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2004, 00:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Awesome Rudra,
Your works are the best i've seen.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2004, 00:34   #3
BHPian

Great work Rudra. The time and effort put into the pictures really shines through! Keep them coming!
need4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2004, 00:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Rudra,
Thats Mindblowing,
No words...EXCELLENT
S350L-E240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2004, 00:59   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] This is not my job. This is my passion.
One of the few very very lucky persons who get to work where their passion is.

Rudra, I dont need to tell you that you are awesome at your work. And to say that I am speechless after seeing the second photograph, as also the "before and after" versions of the C Class would be too less a compliment to this quality of work. But I have to say...these are the best I have seen so far.

This is the spirit...and always keep it going

GTO

GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2004, 01:23   #6
BHPian

hey Rudra,

Nice work. I like the before and after shots, especially the E class one.
VTEC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2004, 01:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Rudra you've taken up the topic behind which i've spent hours myself doing.

I remember making my last assignment during my bachelors as a brochure for the Lamborghini Gallardo. All i got werent studio pics but pics of the car at the auto shows. So working through them, changing the highlights, the lighting among the already well lit shows was one daunting task. Took me 2 nights to prepare it, right from doing the colours, to the copy to the pix. Will love to show u sometime. The final product was something i was pretty darn pleased to show anyone. Until i saw yours.

My dream job. To shoot cars in motion or stationary. The toughest i've ever done is classic cars at a vintage rally. Even with Nikon F-80s and F-100s getting the right shutter speed with the details firmly on and shoving onlookers can be harrowing. Also what can make you forget the job is the sheer sight of some of them standing in front of you. An old Plymouth infact took away two rolls of mine in 10 minutes flat. Every lil detail stood right there waiting to be shot.

I loved your last set. Its amazing how clouds can be moved, the sunbeams made brighter and the picture flatter. Keep em coming pal. I hope your pics have helped Merc sell that extra car. At the end thats what matters in advertising. And going by their increasing nos. every year i think it has.

One salute and a toast coming up.

Revv
Revvmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2004, 01:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

fantastic work rudra. i have to say you are pretty much a genius at work when it comes to this. the first three pictures gave me a funny feeling in my pants. i love for a fact that you are getting to live your passion as your life. something i always hoped that i will do someday. the last gen E-Class appeals to me after seeing your pics like it has never before. great work dude. cheers mate!
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2004, 01:56   #9
BHPian

Now I know, whom to contact, after getting my cars photographed by S350. This is Brilliant stuff.
Pferdestärke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2004, 04:01   #10
RJK
Senior - BHPian

excellent work mr sen!

RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2004, 13:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Supreb stuff Mr.Rudra Sen.
shravan316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2004, 23:51   #12
Team-BHP Support

Hey Rudra,

Superb superb thread and AMAZING examples!!!!
I know all too well of the reflections you speak of..the sad thing is that on digital its very difficult to get a perfect understanding of how good the pic is after taking it coz of the tiny LCDs....but hey..we do get a much better indication of the pic compared to if we were using film!...but ofcourse each has its advantages lets not get into that!

superb stuff man!
cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2004, 00:21   #13
Team-BHP Support

Even for a digital (high mega pixel back here) you don't get to know how much you have to work on in Photoshop. Only plus point in digital at this point in time is they've eleminated the noise problem (essentially from the blue channel).
I've no issue with digital except I'm still not sure about smooth tonal range scale. I'm shooting 100 ASA dia-positive in picnic.
Cheers
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2004, 00:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

rudra ,
thats really cool.but me not at all happy with the last photo.
the first is good.
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2004, 00:33   #15
Senior - BHPian

Why not speedsatya?

I find it very interesting. There's been a lot of work into it and the final product looks much much better than the initial pic.
shravan316 is offline   Reply With Quote