Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 31st March 2006, 14:59   #1

Default Acquiring D.L with vision in one eye

I know this is possible in countries like US and Australia (except for some lengthy vehicles) if you can demonstrate that you can drive properly but does anyone have experiences with getting license with vision in one eye in India. The RTO asks for a certificate from a govt doctor, that it is safe for a person with vision in one eye to drive but it has not been possible to get one as its out of doctor's realm of responsibility to make such a claim about someone's driving. If anyone has references to someone who can handle this situation in Chennai, that will be helpful.
swiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2006, 15:06   #2
BANNED

Hi.. welcome to the Forum, please go through the announcements section and read up on the rules for posting on this site.
Not to encourage people to do so, but in our country you really don't have to be present to get your driving licence if you go through a so called agent, I don't really know how strict they are going be about stopping a person with vision in only one eye from driving.
I would suggest you contact your city's RTO directly and get the low down from an Officer and not one of the many touts that I'm sure hang around outside any and all RTO's in India.
Cheers

Last edited by 2L8uLoose : 31st March 2006 at 15:08.
2L8uLoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2006, 15:24   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8uLoose
Hi.. welcome to the Forum, please go through the announcements section and read up on the rules for posting on this site.
Not to encourage people to do so, but in our country you really don't have to be present to get your driving licence if you go through a so called agent, I don't really know how strict they are going be about stopping a person with vision in only one eye from driving.
I would suggest you contact your city's RTO directly and get the low down from an Officer and not one of the many touts that I'm sure hang around outside any and all RTO's in India.
Cheers
Actually I did get in touch with the RTO directly and he said he has no problems in giving the D.L but only if I can get this M.C. But it is very difficult to convince a doctor, esp. a govt doctor to vouch for something like this. Actually if your case is not obvious, what you are saying is true and nobody cares about checking your vision or seeing if its good enough etc. and all you need to do is give money to the agent, but since its quite visible in my case all these problems crop up. I went through some rule books to fight my case but couldnt find the right one that talks abt this. So if someone knows any rule that directly pertains to this and can point me to that, it would be helpful too.
Old 31st March 2006, 17:22   #4
Team-BHP Support

I will give you an easier solution. It will cost you a few thousands... thats about it. Go and join a driving school. Remember, put on tinged glasses when you go there. You need not even mention about your eyesight thing to them. otherwise they will try to fleece more money out of you. Just go through the classes and then appear for the DL test... thats it. The formalities (including a medical fitness certificate) are taken care of by the driving school. You will be home and dry.

Remember, even the photos that you give should show you in the dark glasses (a la Karunanidhi).
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2006, 17:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to be a damp squib, but should you be driving without binocular vision? How would you judge distances?
jyobeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2006, 19:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb
Sorry to be a damp squib, but should you be driving without binocular vision? How would you judge distances?
in my view judging distances on road is attributed to many other factors than binocular vision. there are a lot of moving objects at various speeds (including the terrain) to assess any distance.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2006, 13:46   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb
Binocular vision is only within a distance of 20 feet, beyond that it is same with bi or uni ocular vision. Within the 20 feet judging distances mostly comes by practice within a couple of weeks of driving and is even more easy in city traffic. The real problem is in highways when overtaking with the oncoming traffic. I guess this is not an issue in US etc. but India, I agree this is a risk without binocular vision.