Ahmedabad/Gandhinagar 5 2.78%
Chandigarh 19 10.56%
None of the above 11 6.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2006, 12:10   #1
BHPian

Default Best City to Live and Work in India

I am looking to settle down in life now. Which is the best city in India to live & work and of-course drive out to a relaxing destination??

The parameters are ..

1> Infrastructure.
2> Cost of Living.
3> Traffic Conditions.
4> Weather and Climate.
5> Water Table Index.
6> Corruption.
7> Peace of Mind.
8> Attractive Investments from FDI.
9> Employment Opportunities in Software Industry.

To my mind, Gandhinagar in Gujarat, fits all of the above criteria except for the last one :-)

But i am interested in knowing your opinions.
man23ish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3rd April 2006, 12:17   #2
BHPian

I'd say Pune,Hyderabad or Chandigarh (Mohali to be precise).
Bangalore is good in terms of the last two points but lags big time on many others. The cities I suggest seem to be better compromises (yeah that it has to be! nothing is perfect).
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2006, 12:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Bro, if you have lived in BLR for any considerable period of time, you will die living in Gandhinagar. The heat in summers will fry you alive.

I would pick HYD as the best of the lot, followed by BLR.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2006, 12:41   #4
BHPian

You know, the funny thing is, Bombay doesn't meet about 75% of your requirements, but I couldn't imagine myself settling down in any other city.

1) Infrastrcutures on the down low
2) Cost of Living is in the top ten in the world (I think, atleast property prices are amongst top ten)
3) Traffic conditions are just pathaetic
4) Weather and Climate is decent compared to the rest of India as we have very moderate climates in summer and winter nothing tooo extreme.
5) No idea what that is
6) Corruption is rampant in Bombay but bearable I would say.
7) Unless your a priest or GOD, having a peaceful moment is very rare in hectic Bombay
8) ???
9) Employment in the software industry would be much better in places like Bangalore, Hyderabad etc.

P.S. What about Gurgaon? I've heard its the most upcoming city in India and has great infrastructure and is a completely industrial town.
Guess? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2006, 12:51   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1> Infrastructure.
2> Cost of Living.
3> Traffic Conditions.
4> Weather and Climate.
5> Water Table Index.
6> Corruption.
7> Peace of Mind.
Bombay probably ranks lowest on these, but I just cant imagine living any place else. Whether in India or overseas. For me, Bombay it is.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2006, 12:54   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Bombay probably ranks lowest on these, but I just cant imagine living any place else. Whether in India or overseas. For me, Bombay it is.

GTO
i agree anybody who has lived in mumbai for his whole life can never stay anywhere. it is the most liveliest city, quite safe for women and one gets oppourtunity to grow here.

i wouldnt stay anywhere else.

shubbhi
manaa45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2006, 13:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

I think most of us will vote for the place that we've grown up in, regardless of whether it has al these facilities or not. Once you've built up your social infrstructure it is very difficult to think in terms of living in another place altogether unless you turn totally nomad like me and live in 7 countries over 9 years. After that, anything chalega but I still love beautiful Cochin.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2006, 13:05   #8
Team-BHP Support

Default Delhi(NOIDA) and chd it is!

1> Infrastructure.
Delhi, noida and chd have the best infra. With metro spreading Delhi will rule the roost
2> Cost of Living.
Chd has it low. Delhi has it high, Noida is the in between, cheaper than blr and delhi, more than chd
3> Traffic Conditions.
Noida is the best.
4> Weather and Climate.
None of the north cities are weather friendly
[/b]5> Water Table Index.[/b]
Delhi has it bad, but noida and chd are good
6> Corruption.
Same as all over india but south wins here
7> Peace of Mind.
Relative
Noida has a Sez, chd is not so good in this regard
Noida wins here
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2006, 13:48   #9
BHPian

The region that makes up NCR( Delhi,noida,gurgaon ) is definitely a strong contender for the place to live in,,though i live in south mumbai and could not imagine living any other place but the traffic has become unbearable and the Peddar road flyover will make it worse ,, the METRO has changed commuting in Delhi immensely,,but Mumbai till all the pending projects like the Worli Bandra Nariman point sealink are completed,,is awful
snoopy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2006, 13:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Where is Gurgaon (NCR) in the list?

Any T-Bhpian from Gurgaon? Lots of IT companies in Gurgaon.. i am going to work in one of them, in a couple of months..
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2006, 14:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Where are the boys from Hyderabad? I keep hearing how the place is developing and how it is an ideal choice for investment (over Bangalore, according to some friends who live in Bangalore) and the kind of infrstructure that is being put in place in a planned manner.

Lets hear more, biryani boys!
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2006, 14:08   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I have always found blind passion for the city where one lives quite amusing. Passion is ok but going to the extent of saying that u cant live anywhere else but so n so place makes u a handicapped person, if seen from logic's point.

Anyways, Tsk, as far as corruption goes, Karantaka is right up there in the list of most corrupt states so you cant say south wins. Maybe AP wins that point but definitely not Karnataka.

Not surprising that you wont find a single city that scores well on all the above criteria, but the NCR region comes quite close. So my vote goes to Delhi.

Cheers
Amitoj
amitoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2006, 14:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
Where is Gurgaon (NCR) in the list?

Any T-Bhpian from Gurgaon? Lots of IT companies in Gurgaon.. i am going to work in one of them, in a couple of months..
Gurgaon is pretty bad.. Most of the pple live in Delhi or Noida and commute to Gurgaon. There are islands of shopping malls and tall office buildings with vast empty land in between them !! Public transport is non-existent, Rent is quite high.

However, there are plenty of shopping malls for the shopoholics. Delhi/Agra/Jaipur are pretty close by for the weekend trips. Will be connected by Metro soon (i.e 2008 or something).

One bad thing that I noticed is that its absolutely impossible to cross the roads without risking your life !! No pedestrian crossing anywhere and traffic is jam packed.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2006, 14:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival
Gurgaon is pretty bad.. Most of the pple live in Delhi or Noida and commute to Gurgaon. There are islands of shopping malls and tall office buildings with vast empty land in between them !! Public transport is non-existent, Rent is quite high.

However, there are plenty of shopping malls for the shopoholics. Delhi/Agra/Jaipur are pretty close by for the weekend trips. Will be connected by Metro soon (i.e 2008 or something).

One bad thing that I noticed is that its absolutely impossible to cross the roads without risking your life !! No pedestrian crossing anywhere and traffic is jam packed.

Thats bad news for me i suppose...
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2006, 15:06   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
unless you turn totally nomad like me and live in 7 countries over 9 years.
That pretty much sums up myself too. But for a lesser period of time..
man23ish is offline   Reply With Quote