Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 12th April 2012, 12:19   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Madhapur Police Station in Hyderabad: Rowdies in Uniform

I am writing about an incident that occurred yesterday. This is to make all of you aware that some cops are no better than rowdies. But I guess you already know that.

My friend runs a business. He installs glass panels and is very successful at that. He also hires a lot of workers.
One such worker was stopped by two policemen close to the Madhapur PS.

They refused to accept his RC photocopy and claimed it was a fake. As per law the photocopy of the RC book is a acceptable.

They continued to harass this guy. He managed to contact my friend, who rushed to help his worker.

He met these cops outside the station. The cops were NOT wearing any uniform.

The asked him to come inside the station. As soon as he entered the parking lot, they snatched his bike keys and dragged him by the collar into the station.
Here they proceeded to hit and kick him.

This started at 12:30 PM.

His partner who was outside immediately contacted their lawyer.

The cops continue to abuse and insult my friend. But my friend is not very easy to intimidate.
He is a tough guy and in response to the beating, he tells them if they want to hit, they need to do it harder.

As soon as the lawyer reaches the station, the rowdy cops disappear.
My friend is detained in the station. The bike keys are with the missing cops.

At 4:30, some SI from that stations tenders and apology and returns the keys.

The rowdy cops don't appear at the stations. Action is promised against them, but we have no trust in these cops.

This is just a plain simple case of power being misused.
Exactly what is a honest and law abiding citizen supposed to do?

We have emailed the DGP, but have little faith in any action.

Going to the Human Rights commission is a possibility.
But considering the seriousness of other problems would they be keen on following up on a mild beating. This is how it was referred to by some of the cops in that station.

But my point is:
A well to do guy, educated guy, with ability to get a lawyer in just 30 minutes has to face this.....wonder what would have happened if he was poor and uneducated.

We strongly suspect that the reason behind this is episode is:
1. Cops were sure of getting a bribe out of the worker guy.
2. My friend was not intimidated by the cops and they took offence at that.

Madhapur Police Station in Hyderabad: Rowdies in Uniform-arm.jpg

Last edited by bblost : 12th April 2012 at 15:31.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 12:26   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Madhapur Police Station in Hyderabad: Rowdies in Uniform

Sadly thats the state of affairs in India. How about going with this story to Mid-day/Mirror etc if they exist?
akshay380 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 12:29   #3
BHPian

the current government is so hopeless and helpless and things like this are very common with no corrective action. abusing authority in quite a normal thing wit the current government.

sorry for what has happened, and ashamed to be from the same city.
discobiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 12:44   #4
BHPian

everything aside, Ask your friend to get himself checked at a govt hospital for internal injuries. Get a medical certificate for external injuries and log a FIR in same PS . They won;t take the FIR for sure. his lawyer can help there as he himself is witness to this assault on you friend . if still they do not relent, lodge a case against them in court and force them to lodge a FIR against erring cops based on corut;s direction.

In case you have media contacts , highlight it in Media. Only pressure works in such scenario's . unfortunate but true. i suspect if DGP will do anything other than referring the case to same PS ;s SHO for report. off course , he will listen to S H O ( who will try to protect his colleague via all means ) .

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 12th April 2012 at 12:45.
.sushilkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 14:20   #5
BHPian

If your friend remembers those goons faces, and if he could get their photos, then printing some pamphlets with their photos under ' Wanted for Human Rights Violation' or some thing like that, will serve them well.

Because, physical injuries will heal soon, not the same if their name and civic status is tarnished. It should be the right punishment for such worthless souls.

Infact such is that state of our government machinery and staff- even if a sincere officer knows that subordinates are worthless and irresponsible, he will not able to do much owing to hell lot of other factors. Our law is too cumbersome, old and stinking with rat holes.
deetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 14:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

This is just outright disgusting on part of the police and appalling all this keeps happening in India every now and then with the corrupt police officials roaming around freely.
Does your friend got to know the name of the official who beat him ? Try and get his details first, though probably as he was not in uniform, it can turn out to be a tough job.
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 15:45   #7
BHPian

Sadly, this is how most of the Police Stations are. If you have contacts then there is no case, else they can pileup what they want. If you are soft spoken, they take you for a ride, and the same with women folk. When my mom lost her chain, they said nothing can be done, and the max they could do was to replace it next time they get something. For them the value of the chain means nothing, and neither were they being polite.
raghu.t.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 16:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

I second Sushilkumar's advice: Photograph the marks on his body, get him checked from a government hospital and get a medical certificate of it. Lodge a complaint at the police station and if no action is forthcoming, take the matter to court. (be ready to escalate it all the way to the high court instead of a local magistrate or sessions court). You can also contact any local news channels to publish this over the electronic media.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 17:01   #9
BHPian

This is typical case of a cop showing who is the boss.
Almost all cops higher up will never take a No for an answer from a stranger.
You can never question them are argue about rules.
The moment someone argues about rules to a cop that's the end of his argument. The cop will go to any extend to show you what kind of power he has under his cuffs and how helpless you can be made.
You just can not take any action legally against those cops without getting your hands dirty.
I am really sorry about what happened to your friends, it could happen to anyone of us and I have many a times been a victim of cops arrogance.
They have a problem with educated people, its a Ego thing.
Make sure you never go to a police station without knowing what to expect.
You can never loose your cool with these cops as only such mad fellows can tame even madder rowdys who walk about our neighborhood.
A cop in mufti is a rowdy. Every frustrated cop takes out their frustration by smashing the hell out the prisoner. I have witnessed this with my own eyes.

I always keep telling everyone INDIA IS NOT FOR MIDDLE CLASS, its for the poor and super rich.
Powerless in India is as much as you being uneducated and poor.

Ideal process is to get your friend admitted in Govt. hospital for a day and get the discharge summary on which you can file a case saying some common men dragged you into a station and hit him and ran away. Get help of the lawyer.
Or be a commoner and let the wounds and bruised ego heal. For, nothing like us getting to hit them back
Visaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 21:18   #10
BHPian

At our place, if you go to the PS to lodge a genuine FIR (as simple as loss/theft of of cell phone), they demand bribe. I believe they don't even entertain poor people as they won't be able to extract some money from them. Your work gets done if you throw money/have political-police high officials contacts!
Blow Horn Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012, 15:06   #11
BHPian

I read about the same incident in the papers. This is outright wrong and your friend should go to the Human Rights Commission. However, what if the police station folks do not show them in front of the commission when they ask your friend to identify the folks.
gauravdgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012, 15:44   #12
Team-BHP Support

An update from my friend;

Quote:
Finally after a lot of thought and considering all the options and support from you people, I filed a petition with Human Rights Commission and cc'ed to Commissioner of Police. Now I have no worries, breathing it easy, I have done my duty and I have faith in the system, support from my good friends, encouragement from the people who can stand by and I am least bothered about the outcome either way.

The date is 12th June at 11 AM as the court holidays are comming up. HRC asked for explantion and sent notice. Will wait and watch. Thanks everyone.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012, 15:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

In short: You cannot do anything here, other than move on with life.

Long version: The biggest con which was ever played on Indians was done by Indians themselves. When Britishers were there they created the Police, the judiciary and civil services (the much maligned IAS). They were created in such a way that they were not answerable to the common man so that loot can go on happily. After independence our very own countrymen scented blood and went for the kill. They kept the system intact so that the LOOT CAN CARRY ON. There has been no major overhaul of these three systems since independence. Earlier they were serving White masters, now they are serving Brown Sahibs.

Was just watching "Batman Begins" and saw Gotham city suffering from the very same problems as are plaguing India now. Unfortunately there is no Batman in real life.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 10:46   #14
BHPian

Did you friend file a case in human rights commission? Apparently lot of police abuse cases are handled there...

Edit : Just read that you already have done that. Ignore this please.

Last edited by ubsmart : 15th April 2012 at 10:47. Reason: read the posts again
ubsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 11:46   #15
BHPian

Its so sad to read about such incidents, but come to think of it, there are many more that are not even reported or written about.
I keep telling my wife, this country has gone to dogs. So sorry is the state of affairs here, that it is impossible to ignore it anymore. It is even more apparent if you staying in NCR. The goons(police) in the north are the most impossible kinds.
I hope your friend can find solace in the fact that it could have been worse if he was alone and his lawyer had not arrived on scene in time.
God Bless
bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote