Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: The Best Batsman in the World - ur pick - based on last 3 years records
Sachin Tendulkar 10 21.74%
Brian Lara 4 8.70%
Mathew Hayden 2 4.35%
Rahul Dravid 18 39.13%
Ricky Ponting 12 26.09%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27th June 2006, 18:39   #16
BHPian

It has to be Ricky Ponting. Man of 2003 World Cup.
He will definetly surpass Sachin's Test record. He is more Fit than everybody else in the list.
A good Leader who always leads from front.
greatDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2006, 21:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Ponting it is for me. Rahul Dravid comes a very close second. I don't think too much of the others based on current form.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2006, 21:26   #18
BHPian

My Vote goes to rahul dravid for his consistency & never say die attitude he can play under pressure where others have failed.
Ford Rocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2006, 22:02   #19
rks
BANNED

Of late, Ponting has been very consistent, pressure or no pressure-- in fact captaincy seems to have taken his batting to another level. I remember seeing part of his recent unbeaten century against Bangladesh, when the Aussies were on the verge of losing after conceding a big first innings lead and chasing 330 or so to win. What a knock under pressure, by the captain! The only chance he gave was while he was on 98, and that too while playing an aggressive hook shot at a bouncer with the new ball taken. That just about sums up his attitude -- if ball is there to be hit, hit it -- not for him the pathetic crawling that we see from many batsmen while approaching persoal targets. And many times the Aussies are not under pressure while batting precisely because of Ponting.

Consider the most recently concluded drawn India-WI test at St. Kitts. It is true that Dravid's batting helped India save the game -- India could arguably have lost the match if he had flopped. On the other hand, he and Laxman could not (or would not) put away even part-timers in the WI bowling attack after Sehwag and Jaffer had gotten India off to a great start on the final-day run chase. There is NO way Ponting would have played for a draw while chasing 392 in 88 overs, especially if he were walking in with the score at 109 for 1 after 26 overs. And there is no way Lara would have had the guts to declare and set such a target for the Aussies, who *normally* score at that rate in test cricket -- Ponting and Co. would have taken this sorry WI bowling attack apart.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2006, 23:24   #20
BHPian

when i resurrected this 2 year old thread this morning and voted for Ponting, mine was the second vote. suddenly now he has 10 votes. we are losing the meaning of this poll this way. btw, when i voted, i didn't realise the thread was 2 years old.
Minardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2006, 19:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

[quote=greatDrive
He will definetly surpass Sachin's Test record. [/quote]

Most of centuries scored will be certainly lifted by Ponting from Sachin. In terms on most of the runs scored in tests, it's little bit difficult for Ponting to break it ( not impossible)

Even if he performs with the current state, it takes 28 matches for him to match Sachin. Let us assume that he plays 10 matches per year. Hence it takes 3 yrs, by then he would be 34 yrs old.

Iam sure that Sachin will carry for atleast another 2 yrs & add something to this test tally.

Need to wait and watch
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2006, 21:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

BTW, while you guys are debating Pointing and Sachin, Rahul Dravid has better test average than Pointing. So even if Ponting breaks Sachin's record, there are good chances that Dravid will break even that.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2006, 21:29   #23
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
BTW, while you guys are debating Pointing and Sachin, Rahul Dravid has better test average than Pointing. So even if Ponting breaks Sachin's record, there are good chances that Dravid will break even that.
I thought both Dravid and Ponting have a Test avg. of something like 58 -- only difference might be in fractions. Obviously Ponting has really surged in recent times because just a while back his Test avg. was below 50. I doubt if Dravid will overhaul Ponting, for two reasons. (1) Aussies play much more Test cricket per year than Indians, who concentrate on 1-day matches. Although this might change if we get to see more frequent Indo-Pak Test matches, as planned. (2) Ponting is making big scores as consistently as Dravid.

I really doubt if Sachin can find the necessary late surge to keep up with Ponting or Dravid. A more interesting question will be whether Muthiah Muralitharan will overhaul Shane Warne in Test wickets. Again, Sri Lankans play less Test cricket, but I am betting that Murali will eventually overhaul Warne because he is younger and back to his fearsome best after hiis recent layoff due to injury.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2006, 13:38   #24
ECM
BHPian

Vote for the batsman who has won most matches single handedly for his team.My thought.
ECM is offline   Reply With Quote