Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 31st May 2012, 20:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Roaming charges to go, one-nation-one-number

This is the one of the best decisions in the NTP. It makes for more consumer friendly treatment as operators now know there is no reason for a customer to stay back unless operators up their customer satisfaction indexes.

I want to add that being in the telecom (software) line, I received a lot of feedback from customers and employees of foreign operators in EU, SE Asia, Africa and the US. Nearly all are impressed with the level of service provided by major operators in India especially in light of the ARPU figures and the profits they generate in a cut throat environment. Our desi operators beat most by a healthy margin in terms of service, coverage and price/cost.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 14:03   #17
BHPian

I welcome this. I had been in 3 states, and had to get 3 different mobiles. And each time it was difficult, since I was not really resident there! But not sure how they would handle the charges on roaming on other networks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
But can you please bring "one nation one vehicle number" concept (i.e. no interstate vehicle transfer hassles)?
I am even fine to have the differences as long as each state fights for its share from the other, rather than harassing the Car owners. They could bring in a transparent process where the owner need to inform the local RTO on the shift in address, and any difference paid. If extra tax has been paid, would love to get the refund as well... That way the states could maintain their income, and motorist drive around the country peacefully. This would also not hurt the motorist purse as well.
raghu.t.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 14:15   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the babus have finally nailed it.

The last nail in the Indian telecom coffin.

This is completely non-sensical, tough to implement, adds costs into the systems, cuts revenues of existing operators (roaming is 15-20%), and that just means one things - basic call rates are going up.

I don't know where they dream up such ideas from - but this is just making the market worse and making my local rates go up. Which is completely against first principles and how the system actually works.

God bless us!

PS: My problem is not just with the idea - its with the timing. If they had designed the system with such principles bottom up during the rollout, that's fine. But suddenly, ad hoc, out of nowhere they bring these ideas which only make internal systems, billing etc more complicated (read build costs into the system). TANSTAAFL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Nearly all are impressed with the level of service provided by major operators in India especially in light of the ARPU figures and the profits they generate in a cut throat environment. Our desi operators beat most by a healthy margin in terms of service, coverage and price/cost.
Maybe that's the reason why Airtel reduced headcount by 6% in a single quarter last year? Or why so many telcos are bleeding? Let's not even get into the mess with Etisalat, Videocon, Uninor and MTS.

Last edited by phamilyman : 1st June 2012 at 14:23.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 14:37   #19
BHPian

I don't understand why the government or its agencies should determine the pricing for services provided by private operators. If they feel that roaming charges should not be there, they can remove the same from BSNL plan. Why force all operators to change their plans ?

The private operators entered the Indian telecom market based on the existing policies at that point of time. Now after they have made huge investments, govt is changing the policies. I'm afraid, cheating is the only word that comes to my mind.

The govt may have you to believe that this will benefit the common man. But if the govt is so concerned about the common man, why don't they set up regulatory authorities for controlling the prices of foodgrains, vegetables, real estate etc. Why target the telecom market alone ?

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 14:54   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post

India shining but hungry :|
Completely agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Maybe that's the reason why Airtel reduced headcount by 6% in a single quarter last year? Or why so many telcos are bleeding? Let's not even get into the mess with Etisalat, Videocon, Uninor and MTS.

In UK Ofcom set minimum operating cost and maximum charges for calls or any other bundled services. Service providers under any circumstances should not go below the minimum operating cost in determining the plan. This was implemented to ensure fair competition in market and restrict monopoly.
Now in India we don’t have minimum operating cost set by govt or any panel for that matter. Resulting these Telco’s in huge revenue loss. Also some of their decision went completely wrong in launches of the plan. Etisalat was an altogether diff case. Company confidential matter else I would have explain the situation of Uninor and Etisalat.

OT: same is the case with aviation sector and see where these lost cost airlines in India heading to. Only reason no Minimum operating cost set by govt authority.

This is a good move from this govt. and that to against the lobby of operators.
Benefits: You can retain same number until and unless you are getting too much prank calls and want to change the number.
Switching of network in case of no network to be implemented, hence going on SOS mode should be rare.
Benefits to those who are in a job which requires more travelling. No roaming charges.

Issues: Local call rates will be on little higher no doubt in this. Operators will be diverting their all revenue loss to customer.

I hope TRAI able to keep strong control on price hike in call rates if not the minimum.
aditya@pune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 14:57   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

@phamilyman & rohan_iitr; By the time Sibal is done with his thing everything will be totally messed up. As they say, Jahn jahn charant parat santan key, tanh tanh bantadhar. Wherever the saints step in, there is total ruin.

There is a strong chance that at least part of the faculty of IITK may boycott the convocation tomorrow. Cause - Sibal again. Seems that the talk of unanimity on the JEE changes were his imagination, and there was no agreement. He decided and just browbeat everybody else. The IIT system may not be the best, but has been working reasonably well for well over 40 years! A boycott with be sad since the chief guest will be E Sreedharan.

Roaming should have gone, but not by a diktat!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 15:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Vehicle registrations also should follow this policy of One Nation One Registration facilitating free interstate transfer so that all cumbersome procedures would end with associated bribes too. With growth of IT and ITeS this is quite possible and hope that it is made a reality pretty soon.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 15:32   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

@rajeev_k; There are at least two (once active) threads on the topic. The first victims have been defence personnel, railway personnel and others who are liable for posting anywhere in the country. I presume they can easily get permission for annual road tax, which the aam janta cannot. Now with national networking of RTOs and GST coming (hopefully) this should be easy! The real point is; Is there a will?
Old 1st June 2012, 15:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman
I think the babus have finally nailed it.

The last nail in the Indian telecom coffin.

This is completely non-sensical, tough to implement, adds costs into the systems, cuts revenues of existing operators (roaming is 15-20%), and that just means one things - basic call rates are going up.
Completely agree. TRAI keeps coming up with these so-called people-friendly measures in fits and starts, without considering that a service can only be provided provided the service provider exists. The Telcos will certainly sink like most airlines, at this rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya@pune
Completely agree.

This is a good move from this govt. and that to against the lobby of operators.
Benefits: You can retain same number until and unless you are getting too much prank calls and want to change the number.
Switching of network in case of no network to be implemented, hence going on SOS mode should be rare.
Benefits to those who are in a job which requires more travelling. No roaming charges.

Issues: Local call rates will be on little higher no doubt in this. Operators will be diverting their all revenue loss to customer.

I hope TRAI able to keep strong control on price hike in call rates if not the minimum.
Good move if one looks at it myopically. The majority of calls made by most people are local calls, and the impact of an increase in the local call rates will be directly and most severely felt by the lower and middle income groups in India. Who benefits? Either the jet-setting senior executives, or the very few who travel extensively for work.

Talking about strong control on prices, would you really take it if you were asked by your company to work 2-3 extra hours a day, every day, for the same pay? I'm pretty sure we do not expect the Telcos to be charitable organizations, so please do not crib if they divert the revenue loss to their customers.

As Phamilyman said, TRAI should be working with the Telcos to determine and fix minimum pricing and then let competition take over. The Telcos would provide better service and better infrastructure, and maybe even in the future voluntarily waive off roaming charges for some or all plans - Provided they Remain Profitable. A win-win rather than the current short term win and long term everybody lose situation.
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 15:47   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupratikDebnath View Post
But don't you think this might shoot up the local call rates and make those at par with present STD rates! Or maybe somewhere in between.

Not sure which way this might turn. We got to wait and watch. :-)
+1 to that Supratik!
You have hit the nail on its head! Like how otheres have mentioned, once implemented, TRAI has to also set the maximum rate a telco can charge per pulse and it should definitely be less than or on par with the existing local call rate.

TRAI has to also see to it that these TELCOS don't pull up an other trick to pass on the loss to the consumers (Just like how the petrol bunk industry does ). They have to make a set of rules which are fool-proof and from which there is no escape for a telecom company.

Wait a minute!! Are we missing a point here? Is this another lobby? VeluM has rightly pointed out that majority of the calls made are local calls. Currently I make a 1500 local calls per month at 20 paise per pulse and pay about Rs.600 to Rs.700 every month inclusive of value added services and tax. Now, let's say this policy is implemented and local and std calls cost the same (say 30-45 paise per pulse), my bill would be looking skywards by atleast Rs.150 isn't it? WHO's GAINING HERE?

Last edited by Driving_Nomad : 1st June 2012 at 15:55. Reason: To add another point
Driving_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 16:56   #26
BHPian

@Driving_Nomad,

I have a gut feeling that this is going to be burdened on us! What else can you think? This is what happens across all consumer products. As end customers we got to make up for their losses. These facts drive me crazy. Wish I was a child! Should not have grown up. Miss that peace! :-P
SupratikDebnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 19:54   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Awesome decision. Inspite of all it mis-givings and corruption scandals, this government has been making a few, but important policy changes.

I wonder what will happen to the differences in plans and pricing models, considering not all operators give the same plans across all states (for postpaid).

This is a completely pro-consumer move!

I can see one very important follow-through effect. No difference in local and STD calls rates for all operators. Pretty sure, the new operators would be cashing on this "value-add" asap. Guess we are about to get another set of boring ads of Ranbir & Abhishek showing how Tata/Idea have abolished concept of STD calls!

Huge loss! But mainly to the big three. But I believe this decision was in the offering since ages, but delayed due to lobbying!
Loved those lines! trust me! those are most boring brand ambassadors I have ever seen!! Nice move by the cabinet! Now comes chasing volumes to offset lost business on roaming charges for the existing telecom companies!
vinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 20:26   #28
BHPian

Note from Mod: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the board experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 4th June 2012 at 11:20.
Sunney is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 2nd June 2012, 07:13   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

and here is how the world at large/investors see this:
India’s telecom success story turns sour - The Washington Post

and i completely agree with what is said in the article.

If they let go of Telenor's investment - all the babus in TRAI, DOT should be sacked for turning a blind eye for all these years and even those who have retired shoudl have their pension revoked.

There is only accuntability for private capital in this country while regulators think of ever more populist schemes everyday.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2012, 08:13   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

The best joke is the argument aboutfirst bidder stuff of NDA. At one time due to high costs (their own fault no doubt) the Telcos were on the verge of shutdown. Then they were switched to the revenue sharing model. I do not think the govt revenue is suffering on this account.

Sounds like the chap killing the Goose which layed the Golden egg. It is a mindset - we know best and will meddle into everything. See the controversy over UID and NPR. Every Aadhar card has a big warning, that it is only proof of address and not citizenship. Also, who were the first to try and mess that up - MPs and MLAs.