Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 4th June 2012, 12:23   #1
BHPian

Post World Environment Day 5th June: How am I gonna contribute?

The world is facing a threat on its existence due to diminishing natural resources and unbalanced natural cycle resulting in global warming , severe Storms , Floods , Droughts , Scarcity of Water and Food and vanishing Species of living creature.

As a responsible citizen of the earth , each one of us should do our bit to help preserve the earth for our future generations. Some of the actions that can be taken are :-

- Preserve natural resources and avoid wastage.
- Conserve electricity.
- Recycle and minimize waste.
- Plant and preserve trees.
- Reduce noise levels.
- Tune up the vehicle and machinery to prevent air pollution and excessive fuel consumption.
- Wherever possible, use public transport or pool the vehicle.
- If possible, follow the habit of " repair and reuse " instead of " use and throw ".
- Promote usage of environment friendly technology / products.
- Minimize use of plastic and paper. Use cloth bags. Discourage disposable cups and bottles.
- Spread awareness on environmental concerns.

Visit
World Environment Day - United Nations Environment Programme
and
Home
for more info.

Please make a resolution and state "How am I gonna contribute?"

I will walk to office on 5th June and will take my own bag for shopping always!

Below in the attachment you will find some ideas for what you can do. Take anyone of it. Even One by each will make a big difference.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf A to Z of Environment.pdf (47.1 KB, 163 views)
Suess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 15:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: World Environment Day 5th June: How am I gonna contribute?

I do contribute to some extent. Take a CNG propelled auto to the bus station, take a CNG propelled bus to office and then walk upto the office in the mornings. In the evenings, I take a CNG cab and then local railways (electricity) to my home!
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 15:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Can take a resolution to keep away from plastic carry bags and burning plastics.
As an automobile community all of us shall ensure that the lubricants drained out do not come into contact with mother earth and are disposed off through authorized recyclers only.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 17:13   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Can take a resolution to keep away from plastic carry bags and burning plastics.
As an automobile community all of us shall ensure that the lubricants drained out do not come into contact with mother earth and are disposed off through authorized recyclers only.
About 10-11 yrs ago when i came back after my first stay in Germany, one day I was walking down the road and just have finished eating some ice cream and was looking for a dustbin to throw the wapper, i saw a chat wala he had a canister turned into a dustbin, i asked him if I could throw the wapper in that, he said yes of course. I was so happy. Then when coming back same way I saw him emptying that canister just around the corner on roadside!

And it makes me sad to say that situations has improved since then! in fact i see it becoming worse. Now even villages as on the same dirty and self destroying road.

So, I don't know how of many of us use the recylcers and where and how those recycling guys dispose off the oil etc.

The problem is we take everything granted, i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I do contribute to some extent. Take a CNG propelled auto to the bus station, take a CNG propelled bus to office and then walk upto the office in the mornings. In the evenings, I take a CNG cab and then local railways (electricity) to my home!
Good great going. i wish we have great public transport facility in all metros at least so we can minimize the use of cars and other vehicles.

Last edited by Suess : 4th June 2012 at 17:15.
Suess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 17:46   #5
F50
Senior - BHPian

Participating in a Bicycle Ride from Bandra to Worli asking people to Go Green! And also promote cycling. There will be group of riders from all over Bombay.

And later pedaling to Nariman Point and back!
F50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 18:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

I'll contribute by washing my i20 with a rinseless wash, thereby saving precious water!
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 15:18   #7
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: World Environment Day 5th June: How am I gonna contribute?

We have a CR (Corporate Responsibility) team at our company who takes on several society related issues and tries to aaddress them.
Today we switched OFF all the ceiling lights for one hour in the company - 1300 to 1400 hours.
Besides this we have a practise of switching OFF the PC monitors when not being used for a long time.
We maintain our monthly pwer consumption graph that gets circulated over email to all every quarter, just to make people aware of our consumption.
There is also a policy to check and adjust Central Air Conditioning temperature every season.
we do get a good support from people, after all we expect the educated lot to understand first and take measures.
mahen_narang is offline   Reply With Quote