Financial difficulty due to rising fuel costs 15 10.49%
Financial difficulty due to maintenance costs 6 4.20%
Boredom from the car 11 7.69%
I do NOT regret buying my car 110 76.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st June 2012, 18:04   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Reality bites! - The car purchase you wish you hadn't

Voted I do not regret buying the car. Well its my dad who bought, the choice of car was mine Swift P(1.3). He does nt regret nor do I. Yes there is serious lack of low end torque and mileage is not anything to talk about ( Dad uses it for office two days a week and gets 12 with 100% AC) nor is it too bad. But the interiors bog me down and so do the rattles. Initially tried a lot to fix them, but they always keep coming back. So decided the next best option, run the music system at high volume.
When ever I feel like having fun, I revv the motor hard and boy does it come alive. Keep it revving high the oldie will still make you happy but yes the FE goes for a toss.

But yeah it does bring a grinn on my face when ever I feel like having one. So I definitely dont regret. May be adding a Bajaj avenger (in one months time) and a pre worshiped sedan (by year end) or a new diesel honda(if it comes up) to my garage and hope to stick by the same vote then too.

After all we live to drive.
vibbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 18:42   #32

I wish there was another option that said, " Are you kidding? How can I REGRET buying my heart's desire!". There is no way I regret buying my Chevy SRV way back in 2007, so what if it gives a mileage of 10 KMPL! It was always a heart over head purchase despite the entire world against it and today I can proudly say I am ruled by the heart!
The reasons I dont regret buying this car one bit:
1. It still looks amazing and still is the best looking hatch on Indian roads in my book.
2. It still has that amazing exlusive feel to it, there are probably less SRVs in India than RR Phantoms.
3. It has been awesomely reliable, never failed me and took me from place A to place B in style.
4. It is the most spacious hatch EVER! Ride and handling puts a smile on my face, especially when I drive it after being behind the wheels of our Manza!
5. I have got a zillion memories attached to it, it has been my companion in all of my working, bachelor life when you are reckless and free and like to throw caution to the wind, and also the sedate phase after that( read married life).
I LOVE MY CAR!
Familyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 21:11   #33
BHPian

Voted for "I do NOT regret buying my car".

Bought a Wagon R VXI petrol, in Dec 2011 with discount of 25K.
Avg running is 45 KM a day on weekdays, and good amount is spent on petrol bill.
Fortunately for me its giving me FE of 16 to 18 KM/L in city .

Since I was on tight budget, the decision to buy Waggie is still fine by me.

My only concern is that in a years time I would be eligible for company car lease policy.
Considering the benefits of lease, it makes sense to buy a diesel car, but in dilemma what to do with my existing car, as the resale would have taken a hit.

Last edited by born_free : 21st June 2012 at 21:38. Reason: Spelling correction
born_free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 21:32   #34
Senior - BHPian

Interesting.

The very fact that out of the 23% who voted for regret very few have come forward to express their views.

It shows the common trait of human nature - of not accepting that you made a wrong decision, or your decision turned out to be wrong.

This is not to say that who voted "do NOT regret" actually regret but trying to mask their feelings. No not at all.

But on a forum meant for those who love cars, 23% of people regretting their car purchase is actually a significant number if you consider the average joe who is not a petrolhead, not a Team-BHPian and buys the car to move from point A to B.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 21:39   #35
Senior - BHPian

Except for petrol prices I don't think there is any reason that I should regret the purchase.

When we bought WagonR in April 2007 petrol was almost half the price than what it is today.

But no issues from the cars at all! It is not my car's fault if petrol prices have increased and I am paying steep fuel bills. It was me who enjoyed paying less when buying the petrol variant.

I voted 'I do NOT regret buying my car'
bluevolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 00:41   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
Haha. This is hilarious. I can only imagine what you must have gone through. What car is this?

Also welcome to the TBHP family
It's my name handle ...
and, thank you very much
the.city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 10:11   #37
BHPian

I do regret buying the i10 just because the increase in Petrol prices ! I had a choice of buying Figo Diesel, Ritz Diesel but with a difference of almost 1.5L. Now I seriously feel should have taken the plunge with a lil increase in the EMI atleast today i wouldnt have to burn my heart and avoid long weekend drives !!

I wish i could turn back time :-(
dar3dev|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 10:29   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Being a 2006 model, yours is also the 1.3litre Esteem engine. What's the FE you get in city and highways ?
Funny you should ask- in the city, the Swift returns about 11 kmpl and on highways no more than 15.5 kmpl. The Vento returns about 9 and 14 respectively (but it is a more powerful engine, heavier and an automatic).
What differs is the driving characteristics: in the Vento I get optimum mileage in the 70-110 kmph band, because the car just cruises effortlessly at high speeds. On the other hand, get stuck in bumer to bumper traffic in first/second gear and FE goes for a complete toss. The Swift is more consistent: even in bumper-to-bumper I still get reasonable FEs, though if I get too spirited in my driving style, it becomes thirsty again.

I am becoming more and more convinced about the old garage mechanic's philsophy "Sab gaadi das deta hai". (all cars deliver FE of 10")

Back on-topic, yes there are times I REALLY miss a diesel in the garage especially when embarking on those long roadtrips.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:43   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Funny you should ask- in the city, the Swift returns about 11 kmpl and on highways no more than 15.5 kmpl. The Vento returns about 9 and 14 respectively (but it is a more powerful engine, heavier and an automatic).
I am surprised (not pleasantly) with the Swift numbers. Have you upgraded/ upsized tyres and alloys? We drive on the same roads (well!) in the same city, would be a bit concerned if I see such numbers.
Vento is par for the course
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:51   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Those numbers listed by noopster are what I would expect for the Swift with the old Esteem engine. The old 1.3P engine was good for the Esteem, but the Swift is 100kgs heavier than the Esteem. The new 1.2K series engine is much better on both FE and drivability.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 17:51   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Those numbers listed by noopster are what I would expect for the Swift with the old Esteem engine. The old 1.3P engine was good for the Esteem, but the Swift is 100kgs heavier than the Esteem. The new 1.2K series engine is much better on both FE and drivability.
I would rather say the 1.2K series pre-VVT was a gem of an engine. The current VVT Swift lacks low end torque. The only positive is that it delivers a slightly higher FE than pre-VVT (0.5 to 1kmpl difference).
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 18:15   #42
BHPian

No regrets at all. I bought the 2012 Swift 1.2K Series VVT. Its a sweet machine, with a brilliant engine handling steering gearbox combination, and boy, rev it beyond 2k RPM and its a bucket load of fun. Yes, the low end torque is not that great, but then that engine would be a sin to drive at low revs.

However, as far as fuel efficiency is concerned, I am consistently getting anything between 13 and 14, in peak traffic conditions in Bangalore. Which in my books is pretty good, given that its a powerful engine. Also, given my running of less than 900 kms a month all within the city, a diesel still does not work out on economics for me.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 22nd June 2012 at 18:18.
arindambasu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 19:22   #43

Own a 2006 Esteem Lxi Silky Silver, petrol prices since then have shooted quite high. But still do not regret the purchase... the machine is wonderful & gives sheer pleasure on every drive, be it daily commute to work-place or leisure long drives now & then.
Regular & schedule maintenance of the car at Authorised, has kept it sound, moreover the care I take to drive it through the crowdy streets of Kolkata, to keep it scratch & dent free.
The "Silver Ghost" is still in absolute mint condition. I'm Proud About It.
bumba is offline   Reply With Quote