Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 30th July 2012, 13:28   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Impact on Supreme Court ruling on Core Area of Project Tiger?

Reserve roads are not closed for traffic due to this, it is only the safaris that has got impacted.
It seems the confusion is around defining the core and buffer zone. Tourism was always allowed only in the buffer zone and this was followed in places like Karnataka to good extent. What I heard from some of my contacts is , for the issue of relocating tribals from the forests, court asked government to supply the list of core zones (tribals can be moved out only from there). In interest of moving tribals out (why they want to move tribals out is another story) the list was published including most of the buffer areas and that caused the recent trouble of stopping of tourism. There is an appeal getting moved in SC soon and things may change again.
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 13:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

My opinion is mixed on this ruling, while i agree tourists bring in huge amount of problems, at the same time they bring in revenues and i believe this is critical in ensuring the govt bodies have enough financial oil to continue moving in the right direction.

I have been educated, apart from revenues, tourists also bring in vigilance. Forest officials cannot spot, petrol all the areas of forest and this is where tourists help as they report if they find anything amiss.

All these are critical for Tiger conservation.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 14:33   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
apart from revenues, tourists also bring in vigilance. Forest officials cannot spot, petrol all the areas of forest and this is where tourists help as they report if they find anything amiss.

All these are critical for Tiger conservation.
+1

Just to elaborate, all the revenues will ensure proper pay to forest officials and more manpower to manage tourist inturn counter poachers. Now with no tourists, there will be alone guard with .303 to guard the reserve!

I feel the judiciary is over reaching its responsibilities in India, again the problem is our legislature doing nothing.

mac187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 14:42   #19
Team-BHP Support

I am kind of wondering about real motivation of forest officials of restricting public entry in forests. If you have people roaming in forests, poaching is more difficult. Govt figures show that poaching peaks during the "no tourist season" in the national parks.
I guess the poaching mafia has gotten what they wanted, and finally, the poacher-official-politician nexus can now be happy.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 15:11   #20
BHPian

^^^ Exactly my thoughts TSK.

Shut out all tourists, reduce number of guards citing reduced people interference, and add to it a recently unemployed local population, and you have just conjured up the perfect recipe for increasing the poaching, mining and deforestation activities!

All fits into the grand scheme of things, in this godforsaken country of ours. :(
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 15:11   #21
BHPian

Dear moderators,

The reason that I had posted this in the Route and Travel was because my intent was more to discuss road closures due to this ruling and not the ruling itself. Anyway, as long as my objective is met I don't care for where this thread is housed.
ananth_iy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 17:20   #22
BHPian

Default Re: Supreme Court bans tourism in core areas of Tiger reserves across the country

Agree to all that the move will only help the poachers and make things worse. Conservation has succeeded when it goes hand in hand with responsible tourism and thereby bring in more revenue that gets pumped in to conservation. Adding to the fire will be the local people going jobless for lack of tourism revenue getting in to poaching and other illegal activities in the forest
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2012, 18:41   #23
BHPian

Default Re: Supreme Court bans tourism in core areas of Tiger reserves across the country

Some more updates from my recent trips :

1. Parambikulam and Topslip : Out of bounds for private vehicles - not allowed beyond Sethumadai checkpost anymore. So if you want a vacation in Parambikulam, take the bus that departs from Pollachi at 6.15 AM everyday. You can still rent accommodation at Parambikulam.

2. BR Hills and Bandipur : No safaris. However, you are allowed to take the CR Nagar -> Kollegal forest road that goes through K.Gudi[ Mainly because the temple falls inside the forest area?]

Last edited by airguitar : 1st August 2012 at 18:44.
airguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2012, 18:55   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
. I hope they don't close this road too.
Don't get me wrong, but the scenes I see, e.g. feed biscuits to Langoors and chitals, luring them towards their cars, and then going paparazzi-style with camera flashing all over the hapless animals, I am terrified how uneducated some educated people are [ despite so many boards on what not to do ]. All for that 'cute' Facebook photo that gets a few 'like' s, I guess.

I'm not going to say to let's close all these roads, but I hope there's a way out. Almost nobody drives below the 30 kmph/40 kmph. Trucks speed at 60+. People view the speed breakers as things that slow them down inside the forest.
airguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 17:35   #25
BHPian

UPDATE: SC nod to resumption of tourism in tiger reserves

Source: http://www.rediff.com/news/report/sc...s/20121016.htm

Supreme Court on Tuesday cleared the decks for resumption of tourism activities in the areas reserved for the wild cat.

-Sajan
sajands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2012, 12:12   #26
BHPian

This is super news for us who are passionate about wildlife and surely a good news for the animals as well. I echo other members thoughts that poaching can be checked by allowing a considerable amount of tourism in these places. We can now look forward to those excellent wildlife travelogues
ExtremeTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2012, 14:02   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

This is just a reflection of the general controversy between those who will like to seal the areas off, and those who believe that involving the local population to their financial benefit is the way. The SC has allowed the opening up of 20% of the core area.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote