Boxing 13 18.84%
Cycling 8 11.59%
Gymnastics 8 11.59%
Beach Volleyball 6 8.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28th July 2012, 11:51   #1
BHPian

Default Olympics 2016

Olympics 2012 have just begun. The biggest event with a plethora of sports. What is your favorite event? For me it is always Athletics and especially the 100m dash.
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2012, 12:20   #2
BHPian

Default re: Olympics 2016

My favourite game would be football all the time!
S@ndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2012, 19:20   #3
BHPian

Are the major Football teams playing this time? On what basis do the teams qualify for the olympics Football?
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2012, 11:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Are the major Football teams playing this time? On what basis do the teams qualify for the olympics Football?
IIRC, the teams which play in the Olympics should be under 21 but a certain number (3?) of seniors are allowed. Not sure though.

Coming to the poll, I would say, Olympic football is a bit boring. I would watch Athletics (all events), hockey, TT, Swimming etc. Most of these sports would not be watched or televised otherwise.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2012, 14:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

We are missing Badminton, Archary, Shooting etc in the favourite list of the poll

Indian Olympic adventure is not going that well again. Barring a few it was a disappointing show yesterday and today also we started with a loss in Archary where India was supposed to be a strong contender (Deepika Kumari being the current world no 1 and Indian Team being no. 2). A close match but we still lost :( Feeling sad.
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 13:08   #6
BHPian

Does anyone here know if ESPN HD is relaying India's hockey match today? I am also looking for schedules for all games that India is participating. Please share if any of you have that with you. thanks
Ranjimso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 13:29   #7
BHPian

Gymnastic for me, but that ain't an option here, so selected athletics
Figopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 14:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjimso View Post
Does anyone here know if ESPN HD is relaying India's hockey match today? I am also looking for schedules for all games that India is participating. Please share if any of you have that with you. thanks
you should be able to watch all events on BBC sports
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 14:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

OMG, you haven't even listed Badminton? Why? if i may ask. Kindly update the poll to include Badminton so as many like me can also vote. We are getting better and better in Badminton and hopefully soon we will have more Saina's on the international circuit.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 17:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Gagan Narang has just won India's first medal in London. He won the bronze in the 10m Air Rifle event. This was the same event in which Abhinav Bindra won the Gold in Beijing. Unfortunately Bindra did not qualify for the finals of this event.

Hopefully, this bronze will open the doors for a few more medals. Come on guys!!!!
Old 1st August 2012, 15:38   #11
BHPian

Deepika Kumari, world no 1 bows out inthe very first round of indv championship.

I think Indian athletes are not able to show case the potential. Lack of mental stamina ? They crumble at the big stage,
mannubhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2012, 16:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

Sad to see Deepika lose.

Today we have some interesting matches - Badminton pre-quarters (both Kashyap and Saina in action) and Tennis (Leander & Co in action - both doubles and mixed doubles). And we take on NZ in hockey

I voted for athletics in the above choices. It has remained so from the days of Usha, Carl Lewis and the colorful Florence Griffith Joyner!!
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2012, 17:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Sad to see Deepika lose.

Today we have some interesting matches - Badminton pre-quarters (both Kashyap and Saina in action) and Tennis (Leander & Co in action - both doubles and mixed doubles). And we take on NZ in hockey

I voted for athletics in the above choices. It has remained so from the days of Usha, Carl Lewis and the colorful Florence Griffith Joyner!!
Going by what we have seen in the last 2 days, the only medals we can expect is from either Saina or maybe one or 2 medals from Athletics. Kashyap has done well to get to the Quarter Finals, but he is going to face either Lee Chong Wei who is the top seed or Simon Santoso who is the 9th seed. It is going to be tough.
Old 1st August 2012, 17:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Going by what we have seen in the last 2 days, the only medals we can expect is from either Saina or maybe one or 2 medals from Athletics. Kashyap has done well to get to the Quarter Finals, but he is going to face either Lee Chong Wei who is the top seed or Simon Santoso who is the 9th seed. It is going to be tough.
I dont think we have any hope in athletics, except perhaps an outside chance to Om Prakash Singh Karhana (Shot put). Tintu & Mayookha are not yet there among the worlds top.

If at all, the other chances, apart from Saina & Tennis, must be from Boxing (Mary Kom , Vijender, Devendro) and wrestling (Shushil Kumar)
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2012, 18:01   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
I dont think we have any hope in athletics, except perhaps an outside chance to Om Prakash Singh Karhana (Shot put). Tintu & Mayookha are not yet there among the worlds top.

If at all, the other chances, apart from Saina & Tennis, must be from Boxing (Mary Kom , Vijender, Devendro) and wrestling (Shushil Kumar)
Isn't it sad, that we , a country of 120 crore people, cant even get a decent squad to Olympics.

Now everyone is taking turns to announce crores and croes in price money to Gagan Narang ( accepting its no small achievement) . I wish they had in turn spend this money on readying a squad for the 2020 Olympics.

A country like Gabon ( heard of it ? ! ) , with 1.5 million population, has a football squad in this edition. We , who take football as a passion, with so many clubs and league, doesnt not have one !
mannubhai is offline   Reply With Quote