Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 26th August 2012, 02:43   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 'Curiosity' rover landed on Mars - Latest pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post

Can you post the source for both the informations? Thanks
Hi,this entire thing was started by a forumer at unmannedspaceflight.com while he was looking at some raw images that came back in the first few sols,and he raised the possiblity that Navcams have caught what looks like a dust cloud.After many pages of discussion,determining the direction in which the the camera was pointing,and later from the famous "Crime Scene" pic from MRO the chances of that happening grew.So i think one of the asked that question during one of the daily briefings to Nasa and they had confirmed it.I remember reading somewhere,they had designed to take a pic in the one-off chance that they actually catch the descent stage.I cant exactly find where all this happened because its all buried under posts.
From a quick google search i came across this:

NASA - Witnessing the Descent Stage Crash?

Mystery Cloud in Mars Rover Landing Photo Expained | Space.com

Everyone should see this.Jaw dropping Panorama pic.Full res.

https://planetary.s3.amazonaws.com/assets/z_test/mars_msl_Sols3_13_Mastcam34_m_postcard_bouic.jpg

Last edited by avishar : 26th August 2012 at 03:00.
avishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 11:44   #32
BHPian

Update! Update!

The Hindu : Sci-Tech / Science : Sounding out the Red planet

Quote:
Mars rover sends back human voice recording

The first recorded human voice that travelled from Earth to Mars and then back to Earth was released on Monday at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, California.
The voice playback was released along with new telephoto camera views of the varied Martian landscape during a news conference at JPL.
In spoken words radioed to the Mars rover Curiosity and then back to NASA’s Deep Space Network (DSN) on Earth, NASA Administrator Charles Bolden congratulated NASA employees and the agency’s commercial and government partners on the successful landing of Curiosity earlier this month, reported Xinhua.
“Curiosity will bring benefits to Earth and inspire a new generation of scientists and explorers, as it prepares the way for a human mission in the not too distant future,” said Mr. Bolden in the recorded message. The telephoto images beamed back to Earth show a scene of eroded knobs and gulches on a mountainside, with geological layering clearly exposed.
The new views were taken by the 100-mm telephoto lens and the 34-mm wide-angle lens of the Mast Camera (Mastcam) instrument.
Useless news:
I seriously see no sense in the following news by The Hindu.

Quote:
Neil Armstrong reportedly apologised to Indira Gandhi when told how she kept awake till 4.30 a.m. to watch his historic moon landing on July 20, 1969.
“I apologise for the inconvenience we caused you, Madame Prime Minister. Next time, I shall make sure that we land on the moon at a less unearthly hour,” the American astronaut told her, according to Natwar Singh, former External Affairs Minister.
Mr. Singh, who was present when Armstrong and his fellow astronaut Edwin ‘Buzz’ Aldrin met the late Prime Minister on a visit to New Delhi, told PTI that there was an “awkward silence” when photographers left the room after taking pictures.
Prompted by Indira Gandhi to speak, he said: “Mr. Armstrong, you will be interested to know that the Prime Minister kept awake till 4.30 a.m, so as not to miss the exact time of your lunar landing.”
Upon which Armstrong profusely apologised to her.
The famous astronaut died last week at the age of 82.
The Hindu : News / National : When Neil Armstrong apologised to Indira Gandhi
AlphaKilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 13:07   #33
BHPian

Update:

Well Curiosity managed to set sail towards its destination and has covered 21 metres in the process of driving to its destination.

Quote:
PASADENA, Calif. -- NASA's Mars rover Curiosity has set off from its landing vicinity on a trek to a science destination about a quarter mile (400 meters) away, where it may begin using its drill.
The rover drove eastward about 52 feet (16 meters) on Tuesday, its 22nd Martian day after landing. This third drive was longer than Curiosity's first two drives combined. The previous drives tested the mobility system and positioned the rover to examine an area scoured by exhaust from one of the Mars Science Laboratory spacecraft engines that placed the rover on the ground.
"This drive really begins our journey toward the first major driving destination, Glenelg, and it's nice to see some Martian soil on our wheels," said mission manager Arthur Amador of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. "The drive went beautifully, just as our rover planners designed it."
Glenelg is a location where three types of terrain intersect. Curiosity's science team chose it as a likely place to find a first rock target for drilling and analysis.
http://www.nasa.gov/rss/msllanding_update.xml

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ms...l20120829.html

Playing a exo-song(from another planet):

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ms...l20120828.html

Marks of laser on Mars:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ms.../pia15695.html

Quote:
The Chemistry and Camera (ChemCam) instrument on NASA's Mars rover Curiosity used its laser to examine side-by-side points in a target patch of soil, leaving the marks apparent in this before-and-after comparison.

The two images were taken by ChemCam's Remote Micro-Imager from a distance of about 11.5 feet (3.5 meters). The diameter of the circular field of view is about 3.1 inches (7.9 centimeters).

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 31st August 2012 at 13:11.
Old 17th September 2012, 22:20   #34
BHPian

Update:

http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/tec...cle3907327.ece

Quote:
NASA’s Curiosity rover has beamed back a picture of its first solar eclipse from the surface of Mars, showing Phobos, one of the two moons orbiting the Red planet, moving across the face of the Sun.
The new picture taken from the surface of Mars displays a slight bite taken out of the sun by the Martian moon, as seen from the rover’s vantage point in Gale Crater.
The extraordinary photograph was taken by the NASA rover Curiosity, which is currently making its way across the surface of the Red Planet, the ‘Daily Mail’ reported.
It captures a moment during a partial eclipse, with Phobos just jutting into Mars’s view of the sun.
Enjoy!
Old 4th October 2012, 14:06   #35
BHPian

Update:

Quote:
Approach to Ripple

Thu, 04 Oct 2012 12:03:08 AM GMT+0200

On Sol 56 (Oct. 2, 2012), Curiosity drove about 20 feet (6 meters) westward to reach a ripple of sand and dust deposited by the wind at a soil patch called "Rocknest." This site is a potential target for the rover's first use of its scoop, which the team will be evaluating over the next few days.

Activities on Sol 56 also included monitoring the environment around Curiosity with the Radiation Assessment Detector (RAD), the Dynamic Albedo of Neutrons (DAN) instrument, and the Rover Environmental Monitoring Station (REMS). A raw image from Curiosity's front Hazard Avoidance Camera (Hazcam) after the Sol 56 drive, showing a ripple at Rocknest, is at http://1.usa.gov/PstZsE .

Sol 56, in Mars local mean solar time at Gale Crater, ended at 8:26 p.m. Oct. 2, PDT (11:26 p.m. EDT).

Image Source: http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/6...43_800-600.jpg
Old 4th October 2012, 16:26   #36
Senior - BHPian

Those rocks look too similar to the boulders of Earth, no?

Does Curiosity have any plans to dig 3-4 inches deep. I watched a program on Nat Geo that said water ice is there below 3-4 inches of Martian surface, pretty much on the whole planet. Since the scientists did not expect it, the first rover (digger?) was not equipped for digging so deep.
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 14:35   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Those rocks look too similar to the boulders of Earth, no?

Does Curiosity have any plans to dig 3-4 inches deep. I watched a program on Nat Geo that said water ice is there below 3-4 inches of Martian surface, pretty much on the whole planet. Since the scientists did not expect it, the first rover (digger?) was not equipped for digging so deep.
No, no digging will be done. It does not carry any instrument on board with which it could dig (well of course ignoring the LASER ) but that laser is not for digging rather to make pores in the rocks and using the material ejected, perform chemical analysis.

Yes, and if you see the image in the NASA site(link there in my post), you will find a pic taken somewhere in Chile desert, where the Rover was tested. That was formerly a river bed, now a dry desert. Hence, it does look like one on earth, and that's the very reason for this mission, to understand the striking similarities between the planets and search for answers to some unanswerable evolution based questions.
Old 11th October 2012, 22:27   #38
BHPian

Not much noise from Mars.
Any updates anyone? Last I heard Curiosity was wiggling the toes [tyres]
CLIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 13:52   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIX View Post
Any updates anyone?
Enjoy maadi guru!

http://in.news.yahoo.com/mars-rock-t...042149382.html

Quote:
Washington, October 12 (ANI): The first Martian rock touched by NASA's Curiosity rover has surprised scientists as it presents a more varied composition than expected from previous missions.
The rock also resembles some unusual rocks from Earth's interior.
The rover team used two instruments on Curiosity to study the chemical makeup of the football-size rock called "Jake Matijevic" (matt-EE-oh-vick)
The results support some surprising recent measurements and provide an example of why identifying rocks' composition is such a major emphasis of the mission. Rock compositions tell stories about unseen environments and planetary processes.
Old 12th October 2012, 14:10   #40
BHPian

Thanks AK

Wonder what's the basis for the rock names; Scientists on the project?!
Old 12th October 2012, 17:28   #41
Senior - BHPian

One question has been eating my head since years. It is related to astronomy but not to Mars. Let me shoot it anyway.

In 1974, the Arecibo message was broadcast into space, aimed at a certain star cluster, with the hope that it will be received by intelligent life there. It was broadcast only once. No repeats were done.

In 1977, Earth received the Wow! signal from outer space, which gave all indications of it being artificial in nature (that is, produced using instruments). Then SETI tried to listen to it again and again, but no repeat signal ever came.

My question is, when man himself sent a signal to outer space only once, how can he expect the extraterrestrial life to keep sending us signals repeatedly when they don't even know we exist?!
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 17:34   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One question has been eating my head since years. It is related to astronomy but not to Mars. Let me shoot it anyway.

In 1974, the Arecibo message was broadcast into space, aimed at a certain star cluster, with the hope that it will be received by intelligent life there. It was broadcast only once. No repeats were done.

In 1977, Earth received the Wow! signal from outer space, which gave all indications of it being artificial in nature (that is, produced using instruments). Then SETI tried to listen to it again and again, but no repeat signal ever came.

My question is, when man himself sent a signal to outer space only once, how can he expect the extraterrestrial life to keep sending us signals repeatedly when they don't even know we exist?!
To be honest this would be off topic over here and this discussion can be a really long one.

My two cents are that there is no guarantee that even if some extra-terrestrial life picked up our signal they would understand it and vice versa. There are way too many variables at play over here.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 00:05   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
To be honest this would be off topic over here and this discussion can be a really long one.

My two cents are that there is no guarantee that even if some extra-terrestrial life picked up our signal they would understand it and vice versa. There are way too many variables at play over here.
Let me try to answer your doubts. You send a signal, (@speed of sound, microwaves/even lets assume at light speed) - outer space is several billion trillion(nobody knows how big it is!!) AU/light years so if the sound waves travel in one direction, it would take years to be received by some "extra terrestial" life(if any exists) and if they feel like sending an answer, it wud again take some light years to reach us! and there are many other theories that it is not necessary that the ET's are as intelligent as we are or they are much more intelligent than us(what our receivers can pick up!). so SETI is trying day-in day-out to find out about the same. So effectively, the signal once sent, is still travelling somewhere in the space and may be the response from the ET is also on its way to earth! who knows!

Hope I answered your doubts to some extent.
Old 13th October 2012, 20:03   #44
BHPian

Is SETI still on? I thought they officially stopped it some time ago.
Back in 96 / 97 I think, I remember logging onto the SETI site and it would download a tiny bit of program onto "concenting" enthusiasts and the this program would use a tiny bit of my CPU time to analyze SETI related data. I remember being very excited about this whole affair and wondering what if my CPU catches that Eureka beep
Old 13th October 2012, 21:27   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIX View Post
Is SETI still on? I thought they officially stopped it some time ago.
Back in 96 / 97 I think, I remember logging onto the SETI site and it would download a tiny bit of program onto "concenting" enthusiasts and the this program would use a tiny bit of my CPU time to analyze SETI related data. I remember being very excited about this whole affair and wondering what if my CPU catches that Eureka beep
Hahaha! well its nearly impossible. The funding has been officially stopped, rest I don't see any official resources giving updates.

The names for rocks, craters and asteroids are based on people who find them or discover them!