Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 17th October 2012, 20:37   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default "People For Animals" tries to treat an ill stray dog. But in vain!

A stray in our neighborhood loved by one and all, may be around 4 to 5 years old, succumbed to gastro enteritis yesterday. People For Animals did a wonderful job, trying to provide medical aid, but in vain. I used to feed it daily every morning at about 8.00 am, when it would be so welcoming and awaiting the menu of the day.The canine was too well behaved,and would go out always for its toilet, never ever doing anything to spoil the cleanliness of the houses it frequented. It had breakfast at my home last on 15th October morning.
The local newspapers have also highlighted the facts.Can be so frustrating when we become mere, mute spectators and other than providing medical care can do little to bring it back to its normal health.

I and my family members are missing the lovely and innocent dog. May the canine RIP.

"People For Animals" tries to treat an ill stray dog. But in vain!-dsc09889.jpg

The animal ambulance

The news appearing in The Hitavada, Nagpur of today

"People For Animals" tries to treat an ill stray dog. But in vain!-picture-416.jpg

Lokmat (Marathi), Nagpur, City Supplement front page and the box appended below in page 5

"People For Animals" tries to treat an ill stray dog. But in vain!-picture-415.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 17th October 2012 at 20:39.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2012, 21:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007
A stray in our neighborhood loved by one and all, may be around 4 to 5 years old, succumbed to gastro enteritis yesterday. People For Animals did a wonderful job, trying to provide medical aid, but in vain. I used to feed it daily every morning at about 8.00 am, when it would be so welcoming and awaiting the menu of
The news appearing in The Hitavada, Nagpur of today

Lokmat (Marathi), Nagpur, City Supplement front page and the box appended below in page 5
Very sad when the poor things pass on for no fault of their own.
PFA is a first class organization which should be supported properly by everyone who cares.
Amazing that the newspapers gave such coverage.
Here in Bangalore this would never happen because people have become too selfish and care about nothing and no one but themselves.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 12:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default re: "People For Animals" tries to treat an ill stray dog. But in vain!

Good to see the coverage in the local newspapers. Again slightly comforting to know that the dog died due to illness rather than other avoidable reasons.
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 15:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Default re: "People For Animals" tries to treat an ill stray dog. But in vain!

Good to see this subject on TBHP and Thanks Anjan for sharing. Brings back fond memories of my days with PFA in Trivandrum as an active member during my college days. I have lived through the frustration you mentioned on many occassions, trying to save stray animals but failing. Has given me sleepless nights. Unfortunately, that enthusiasm that I had in my college days somehow has reduced now with work and other pressures.

Recently I was taking the NH from Chennai to Coimbatore and at about 100kms from Coimbatore spotted a Dog standing on the middle of the NH smelling into something. When i went closer, to my shock, it was standing next to its dead mate whose lifeless body was lying on the middle of the road ( apparently run over by a truck a few minutes back ).

With my hands and feet shaking, I stopped the car to inspect and remove the body to the roadside to avoid a messy scene that we often see on our roads. To my shock, the dog had not died fully. It was brain dead and its eyes had dialated but it was taking irregular breaths. I thought for a moment, and smothered it with my kerchief to give him a quicker relief from this agony and moved his body to the road side..

Its tough being an animal in this world
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 17:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan
Good to see this subject on TBHP and Thanks Anjan for sharing. Brings back fond memories of my days with PFA in Trivandrum as an active member during my college days. I have lived through the frustration you mentioned on many occassions, trying to save stray animals but failing.
Its tough being an animal in this world
Gandhiji said the greatness of a nation or civilization is adjudged by the way its animals are treated. By this yardstick India is in the pre-jurassic state of development.
We are greedy, selfish and needlessly cruel. It is something in the genetic make up I think. I have regularly seen street kids and these typical jobless idlers on the street side chucking stones at some innocuous cow or bull or dog for no reason. I always stop and blast them. But to what effect? Zilch!
Old 18th October 2012, 17:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: "People For Animals" tries to treat an ill stray dog. But in vain!

Kudos to the organisation and the people who work towards this. In todays time and age such efforts should certainly be applauded and supported. It would be great if someone can put up a website with details of such NGOs, their ambulance numbers, etc. I am sure they would also help for other animals in distress.

Edit: A few weeks ago I read in the newspapers of a bull that gored a man to death because the man threw hot scalding water to shoo him away. Not satisfied with goring the man, the bull also turned up at the hospital where onlookers took that fellow and later also turned up at the cremation ground!

On a related note, I am petrified of dogs (stray/ pets/ whatever kind). And I think they sense that too! While there is not much I can do, I avoid honking at them and try to slow down the traffic behind me (by signaling).

Last edited by selfdrive : 18th October 2012 at 17:42.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 20:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

You appear to be a tolerant fellow. Thank heavens for that.
Dont be scared of pet dogs - they are mostly just curious.
Of course dont go and tempt fate by stroking a strange dog unless you are absolutely confident.
But I appreciate your deep down sense of kindness.
I wish more people who are afraid of dogs would rationalize their fears and at least, be kind. I really lose it when I see cruelty to animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
On a related note, I am petrified of dogs (stray/ pets/ whatever kind). And I think they sense that too! While there is not much I can do, I avoid honking at them and try to slow down the traffic behind me (by signaling).
Old 24th October 2012, 00:20   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks friends Shankar, Mallumowgli,Narayan and Selfdrive for viewing this thread and for your meaningful posts. Another news item that appeared in Maharashtra Times, Nagpur edition on 18/10/2012.The local press was so eager and wrote quite touching news stories about the incident.

"People For Animals" tries to treat an ill stray dog. But in vain!-picture-440.jpg

True Shankar, in metros the picture is different. Can proudly say that Nagpur though a fast growing city still has some compassion and love for the mute animals.
Narayan, the incident is quite touching.
Selfdrive, that's apt but very few of the mute animals go to that extreme. In a temple somewhere in Kerala I believe, very recently a man pulled the tail of the temple elephant. The elephant was blessing the devotees when this happened. The elephant mauled this person to death, but soon after, regained its composure and started blessing the devotees without creating any ruckus whatsoever.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 24th October 2012 at 00:30.
Old 25th October 2012, 14:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Dont be scared of pet dogs - they are mostly just curious.
I learnt that when I went to my school friends house after a gap of a year and a half. He had a German shepherd that we used to play with as a pup. In the time that I hadnt visited, he had grown a bit but was very happy to see us. Jumped right on top of me, pinned me to the sofa back. I was 12 years old and probably have been scared of big dogs always but this was the clincher.
The worst part is I dont know what to do with my hands. If I try to pet their neck they try to smell it and I get paranoid that they will do some damage. So if any dog is in the vicinity, my hands remain in my pockets :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Selfdrive, that's apt but very few of the mute animals go to that extreme.
Of course, I agree. The point that I wanted to illustrate through that incident was the intelligence of that animal. Not the vengeful bit, sorry to not clarify earlier.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 18:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Big dogs are usually the gentlest creatures. I have really enjoyed playing with and interacting with all sorts of strange dogs in parks and gardens on various visits abroad - England, Italy, Australia, Belgium, France and other parts of Europe where Dogs are really loved and also are highly civilized, socialized and peaceful.
Here in India each morning when I take my two pet dogs for a walk I usually give some biscuits to the stray "community" dogs I meet while rambling along.
They wont hurt us - we just need to be tolerant and kind - I hate the sensationalist rubbish which appears from time to time in the papers because most of the time it is exaggerated and even then the "menace" such as it is, is invariably created by our species - the vile human race...

Putting it bluntly I prefer dogs to people any day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I was 12 years old and probably have been scared of big dogs always but this was the clincher.
The worst part is I dont know what to do with my hands. If I try to pet their neck they try to smell it and I get paranoid that they will do some damage. So if any dog is in the vicinity, my hands remain in my pockets :(
Old 25th October 2012, 19:18   #11
BHPian

It is nice to see that some people actually care for stray animals. There is one stray close to home here in Bangalore who I feed regularly and he is the friendliest fellow.

Back home in Coorg we have a stray who happily adopted us. He just waits for ms to go back as he knows I will play with him and pet him. That is all dogs really need. Love and attention
pganapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 21:05   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I wish to continue another incident that took place today on the same thread.
Today 16/07/2013 morning,I heard strange noises of barking stray dogs.The location was an open playground, adjacent to my house at Nagpur.
The pair of monkeys was clicked yesterday 15/07/2013, by me while these animals were perched atop a house adjacent to ours, while it was raining.

"People For Animals" tries to treat an ill stray dog. But in vain!-dscn0316.jpg

Good Times

Contrarily, today, the scene was quite gory. It was drizzling. Four ferocious and well built strays were on the prowl and were attacking a monkey, mauling and biting it repeatedly.The monkey fell down several times. It had a companion who was trying to shoo away the strays.
Soon, many people came inside the playground and started shooing away the strays with sticks and stones. Undeterred, the strays would not leave the injured monkey alone.
As soon as I reached the venue, I called Ms Karishma Galani, who manages the People For Ethical Treatment to Animals (PETA) here.She directed someone to reach the place and rescue the monkey.
In the meanwhile, there were enough people to protect the simian as an autorickshaw-wallah and some passers-by gathered and were able to drive away the strays from near the injured animal.
I left the place to get ready for moving to my office. An hour or two later, I could learn that the NGO person who had come to rescue the injured simian was told not to do so by some people who had gathered, as they said forest department officials would do the job.It was learnt that no one had informed the forest people and the NGO person went away without being allowed to do his job.
The monkey pair slowly, after getting out of the shock and panic fled the scene and were not traceable.
Upon returning from office, I could get more details and Ms Karishma Galani of PETA said that there is no fear and that hopefully the monkey will get well on its own since it was able to jump and flee.Moreover, they don't contract rabies and they eat herbs and use their tongue to lick and cure the wounds.
I requested her to tell the persons deputed for such jobs to do their work assertively and forcefully take custody of such injured animals as NGO or Forest Department does not matter to us. She readily agreed. The life of defenseless animals matters much more.

Name:  20130715 09.34.10.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  30.8 KB

Bad Times

Lets hope and pray that all will be well with the animal.