Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 3rd January 2017, 18:36   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Beware of Questionable Charitable Organizations & NGO's

Does anyone know if Care India is a good NGO ?
They have been making multiple calls for donations , thinking of going ahead with some donation.
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 20:44   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
They have been making multiple calls for donations
My thumb rule is, if they are calling and pestering me repeatedly for donations, they are probably frauds. Calling repeatedly usually means they have hired a call center, who have a database of phone numbers of potential donors/bakras (I get two to three such calls daily, so obviously I am present in multiple such potential bakra databases). The call center people get a cut from the donations made. They will promise 80G deduction certificates and vanish once the money is in their hands.

One NGO (Cancer care trust, IIRC) ran a fantastic looking website and kept pestering me for donations. When I checked their PAN number against what was registered on IT department website it showed that they had quoted the PAN of some other trust. When I confronted them about it, they gave some lame excuses such as "printing mistake" of PAN on their website. They eventually quit calling me when they realized that I was good at keeping them on the phone call for several minutes each time without parting with any money.

If you are keen to contribute, I would recommend asking for their address and visiting them in person to see if they do indeed run a genuine place with children/patients (or the claimed beneficiaries) being properly taken care of. Do not trust their websites as putting up a genuine looking website is an easy job.
perty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 21:20   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone know if Care India is a good NGO ?
They have been making multiple calls for donations , thinking of going ahead with some donation.
I second what @perty said. Understanding how this business model works (See my previous post on this), I wouldn't give a single paisa.

Charity begins at home. Is everyone in your extended family well to do? How 'bout your domestic help? If not, visit your nearest government or low-budget private school, meet the principal and pledge to pay whatever amount as school fees to a deserving student.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 05:56   #49
Senior - BHPian

I have an ironclad rule of not donating to any NGO or buying any product that is pitched to me through spam or unsolicited telemarketing. So while that NGO is legit and just has a marketing budget to raise money, they're out of luck as far as I am concerned.

If you pick a good NGO that has a well run program your money will actually go farther than if you donate to your domestic help etc - bulk purchase deals for food with local merchants, negotiated cheaper fee rates at schools etc will be part of what they work on.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 01:06   #50
BHPian

Quote:
thinking of going ahead with some donation.
If you are keen on donating, I would suggest going through the fundraisers at ketto.org. I periodically donate to the health related causes put up there. I believe that they (ketto) too take a small commission, but I'm happy that there is no call center business involved and most of the money reaches the needy.

Just be wary of choosing the right currency while donating, as some campaigns default to using USD instead of INR and it's very easy to end up punching in 500 USD while your intention might have been to donate 500 INR, for ex.

Also consider Karunashraya. I have visited them personally and they do a fantastic job in taking care of terminally ill patients.

Newspapers often carry stories (note, stories and not adverts) of people who have met with unfortunate circumstances and are in need of help. I tend to donate to them too, assuming that the reporters have actually verified the circumstances of the needy.
perty is offline   Reply With Quote