Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 22nd October 2013, 23:31   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post

The Mirror coated lenses are 1500 a pair. You cannot use it at night time.
What's your recommendation for night time driving?
vaibhavdalal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2013, 23:48   #77
BHPian

Default Re: Powered sun-glasses

I use one of these.

Bought them from Walmart. Not sure if they're available in India.

I tried clip-ons and powered sunglasses before settling on these. I find them to be the best trade-off between convenience/practicality and style.
Wimwian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2013, 12:10   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavdalal View Post
What's your recommendation for night time driving?
Clean lenses without any scratches. Just have a look if you are able to manage with Drivewear which is green. I use it at night with an anti reflective coat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimwian View Post
I use one of these.

Bought them from Walmart. Not sure if they're available in India.

I tried clip-ons and powered sunglasses before settling on these. I find them to be the best trade-off between convenience/practicality and style.
They will be available in India soon. Most probably in Jan 2014. I would not be caught dead wearing one.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2013, 12:35   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
I would not be caught dead wearing one.
The only other choices I have are clip-ons and powered sunglasses in smallish frames ('cause my optical power is quite high and large aviator type frames cannot support thick lenses). Have tried all kinds of contact lenses, but I've not found one yet that doesn't cause irritation after 10/11 hours. My usual work-day lasts more than that, and driving back is a pain.

Like I said, it's a trade-off and it works for me. The lenses are polarized, offering significant reduction in glare. The frame itself is very light and completely covers the specs, so much so that others can't make out I'm wearing them over my regular glasses. And I only use them while driving, so don't really care how I look in them.
Wimwian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2013, 12:45   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimwian View Post
The only other choices I have are clip-ons and powered sunglasses in smallish frames ('cause my optical power is quite high and large aviator type frames cannot support thick lenses). Have tried all kinds of contact lenses, but I've not found one yet that doesn't cause irritation after 10/11 hours. My usual work-day lasts more than that, and driving back is a pain.

Like I said, it's a trade-off and it works for me. The lenses are polarized, offering significant reduction in glare. The frame itself is very light and completely covers the specs, so much so that others can't make out I'm wearing them over my regular glasses. And I only use them while driving, so don't really care how I look in them.
I did not mean to offend you, I apologies if I have.

Its just that this would be the last resort, and considering you have tried them all, this I guess suits you best. At the end of the day, its always best to stick with what you like and is comfy.

And its good news for you then, that you can pick up the same from India. AFAIKm they are distributing ready readers, sunglasses and shield will also come later.

Last edited by beejay : 23rd October 2013 at 12:47.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2013, 13:00   #81
Team-BHP Support

Recently I got a set of Chinese Shades... they came with the option to have your power taken care off through an internally fixable powered glasses. Polarized shade lenses and multiple color options. I thought they suited me the best as an agreeable compromise.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 11:44   #82

Does any one know where can I get a pair of clip-ons(poloroid) in Bangalore? I called up GKB, LM, etc. None of them sell it.
aravindp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 15:01   #83
BHPian

Hi,

I have ordered a pair of Powered Sunglasses from GKB Opticals, Chennai.

Frame - Ray Ban (Rs 6990/-)
Powered Lens - Rs 1500/-
Mirror Coating - Rs 3000/-

I just received a call from them couple of minutes back stating that the mirror finish would take 25 days time as their centralised facility is in Kolkatta.

Is this duration normal? (or) am I being taken for a ride?

Please clarify!
Prodigy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 16:48   #84
BHPian

Here is what myself & wife have recently done:

1. Buy cheap frames/ sunglasses, style and colour of choice
2. Get regular acrylic lenses with number and colour, shade, gradation as per choice.

Cost: 3000 total per sun-glass all inclusive.

Advantage: As per choice, cost kept reasonable, and can be easily replaced.

What have we tried earlier? Branded sunglasses, crizal shaded lenses, polaroid polarized lenses, transition photochromatic lenses, and finally I went for kodak lenses while the wife tried contact lenses + regular sunglasses.

Our opinion (Ours only): The current budget set has turned out to be the best. Lawrence and Mayo who are our regular go-to place for optics cant explain why, but these el-cheapo options have the best clarity, more scratch resistant than the earlier coated and treated stuff.

We will stick to this option at least for the near future till lazik is accomplished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Hi,

I have ordered a pair of Powered Sunglasses from GKB Opticals, Chennai.

Frame - Ray Ban (Rs 6990/-)
Powered Lens - Rs 1500/-
Mirror Coating - Rs 3000/-

I just received a call from them couple of minutes back stating that the mirror finish would take 25 days time as their centralised facility is in Kolkatta.

Is this duration normal? (or) am I being taken for a ride?

Please clarify!
15 - 25 days is normal.
latentpotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 17:42   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Here is what myself & wife have recently done:

1. Buy cheap frames/ sunglasses, style and colour of choice
2. Get regular acrylic lenses with number and colour, shade, gradation as per choice.

Cost: 3000 total per sun-glass all inclusive.

Advantage: As per choice, cost kept reasonable, and can be easily replaced.

What have we tried earlier? Branded sunglasses, crizal shaded lenses, polaroid polarized lenses, transition photochromatic lenses, and finally I went for kodak lenses while the wife tried contact lenses + regular sunglasses.

We will stick to this option at least for the near future till lazik is accomplished.
I've just started looking at such options, so your post was very timely. I've gone through the whole variety of glasses that you have - photochromatic, transitions and I'm currently on plain lenses with anti-glare coating.
These options are either expensive or not too clear and so I've been checking out powered sun glasses.

FYI, My wife had done LASIK about 4yrs ago with no problems, however for a reason I can't put my finger on, I'm hesitating to get that done for myself.

Last edited by gomzi : 26th May 2015 at 17:43.
gomzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 17:51   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
I've just started looking at such options, so your post was very timely. I've gone through the whole variety of glasses that you have - photochromatic, transitions and I'm currently on plain lenses with anti-glare coating.
These options are either expensive or not too clear and so I've been checking out powered sun glasses.

FYI, My wife had done LASIK about 4yrs ago with no problems, however for a reason I can't put my finger on, I'm hesitating to get that done for myself.
Missed a data point. The lenses with standard coating, color and gradation costs 1200 for a set.
Replacing every 6 months is also possible at this price point.
latentpotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 21:32   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Missed a data point. The lenses with standard coating, color and gradation costs 1200 for a set.
Replacing every 6 months is also possible at this price point.
That's the way to go. And something which I stick to as well.

A good option that I use and would suggest is using lenskart.com
Cheap and very good options available on this site. Highly recommended
Grr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2015, 20:40   #88
BHPian

I wish to use a sunglass while driving, but like every others with prescription glasses, cant use any normal sunglasses without using contact lenses.
I talked with a nearby optician and they told they have powered sunglasses from Rayban, Maujim Nova etc, but they all cost double when compared to normal sunglasses from the same brands.

Another option is using transition/day and night glasses. Will it be any good? My primary intention is to use it while driving but found some reviews that they dont adapt or work inside cars. Any reviews or suggestions here? How good are drivewear lenses from essilor?
Or is there any other options i should consider?
blueeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2015, 21:09   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyed View Post
Or is there any other options i should consider?
http://www.lenskart.com/hot-deals-14...unglasses.html
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 20:15   #90
BHPian

With the onset of mild Computer vision syndrome, I am on the look for computer glasses- normal vision with anti glare.

Any one has experience with 'ZEBRIANA' which claims to be dedicated for Computer usage ?

https://zebriana.in/shop/

Other options please ..
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote