Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 9th November 2012, 22:11   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Ship stranded off the coast in Chennai, TN. Now what?

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the technique of setting an anchor and then hauling yourself and the tow.
It's something I read somewhere. I used to read vast amounts of stuff about boats and the sea: Yachting Monthly to the Admiralty Manual of Seamanship! That doesn't mean I read it right, all those years ago, or remembered it right. You're the man: you've been there and done this stuff, and I have enormous respect for the skills and abilities that you would have.

Wonderful to have a real-life tug master here. Please tell us as more about what's going on here.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 18:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

What does happen is that you might used the anchors of the stranded ship.

So you pick up it's anchor and run it out, one by one. Then you establish the towing connection and start pulling whilst the stranded ship also pulls on it's own anchors.

The reason the tug doesn't use it's anchors is it needs to manoevre and part of breaking the suction on the stranded vessel comes from pulling from different angles. Hence the sheering starboard/port vice verse.

In certain cases we have actually placed additional winches on the stranded vessel to help pull.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 18:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

Saw the rescue forces drain out a sizable volume of the ballast water out of the ship to make the vessel lighter. Just curious to know if it will not affect the stability of the ship considerably?
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 21:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Logically speaking, draining ballast water should not unsettle the ship as it is already carrying so to speak liquid cargo. But hey I'm no seafarer so don't take my word for it.
vikram_d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2012, 01:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Wow amazing how much you tend to learn and meet diff people out here. For one i am keenly watching this thread and so deeply feel someone should document the entire process by video as it really can make a documentary. People hardly know whats happening from the shore as we just see one big boat being pulled by a small one. Nothing else!

Amazing!
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2012, 09:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Saw the rescue forces drain out a sizable volume of the ballast water out of the ship to make the vessel lighter. Just curious to know if it will not affect the stability of the ship considerably?

Yes, ballast water does affect the stability of the ship considerably. However, most ships are perfectly capable of floating or even sailing with no ballast at all. Unless they are carrying all their (heavy) cargo on deck.

As long as the weather/sea state is ok, you'll be fine. So getting rid of the ballast water to salvage is a normal thing to do. The salvage company will have checked the stability of this particular vessel. So they'll look at the cargo, what weight and where it sits in the various holds/deck position. Same for fuel and potable water. Ballasting requires some calculations and they must have found it's perfectly fine to get rid of some or maybe even all of the ballast

Ballasting is done for various reasons. It always affects the stability one way or the other. If for instance the cargo isn't distributed equally and the ship is keeling over you might want to put ballast water in the tanks on the opposite side of the vessel. Sometimes when a ship is carrying a relative light load, you might want/need to ballast the stern of the vessel to get the propellor under water! Same is true for the bulbous bow. They are most effective only at a certain depth. So having half of it sticking above sea level wont do at all. It will also make for a very uncomfortable ride in heavy seas, so you want to ballast the bow down.

During it's journey, the vessel will use up its fuel. Larges ships easily use tens of tonnes of fuel a day. Again, for all of the above reasons, stability, stern and bow considerations you need to add ballast. Lastly, on very large ships, ballasting also plays a role in reducing stress across the hull.
Old 12th November 2012, 00:53   #22
BHPian

Long back I had read this feature on ship salvage crews.

http://www.wired.com/science/discove...urrentPage=all
manolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 07:58   #23
BHPian

Great insights there Jeroen thanks for adding some depth to the thread as Maddy42 said a documentary on the procedure would be interesting
Paulstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 09:50   #24
Senior - BHPian

The ship has finally been towed away

The locals of Nachikuppam who had a field day every week would be sad.

Most of chennaiites who did not have an opportunity to look up, a ship that close, including me, had a free view.
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 10:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

I am sorely missing the Thanks button in this thread. Sea faring is a completely unknown topic for me, and it sure was interesting and educating to read through all the replies.
ani_meher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 14:07   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm glad it has gone. It would have been interesting to see the process, but I'm happy that I got to see the ship, at least. The Foreshore Estate road can now go back to being empty, and a way to avoid the beach road traffic
Old 12th November 2012, 15:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

I think the ship is still very much visible from the shore. The news reports say that since the ship's anchors are not in a usable state, Prathiba is made to stay afloat with the help of the support tug.

@Jeroen: Thanks for the detailed write up!
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 21:28   #28
Senior - BHPian

Here's some youtube video's that'll give you a bit of an idea what goes on in a salvage:

Enjoy,

Jeroen
Old 13th November 2012, 00:45   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

The final sample video there, ling though it is, is worth every minute. The scope of work involved, including large-scale manufacturing, over months, is just amazing.

A real gem to see those cables being made, and guys working on those eye splices by hand
Old 13th November 2012, 08:13   #30
Senior - BHPian

It's a very good video. It is old, 1979, but still very good.

1979 was also the year I "went to sea". As part of our four year Bachelor program, the third year is an apprentice year. You need to spend 365 on board of a ship and keep a log book. It comes with a long list of assignements that you have to document ate. Anything from watch keeping routines, to routine maintenance, repair and overhaul jobs, etc.

I spend the whole year on this ship: http://www.varenisfijner.nl/straat_florida.htm

Back to college afterwards and graduated in 1980. These were the years where there were still a shortage for naval officers. That meant all shipping companies sent representatives to the graduation ceremony. Your name was called, you moved to the front, got your diploma and license, got congratulated and then you walked back to the reps and got yourself a job within minutes. Those were the days!

I made one more trip for the same company and then joined SmitLloyd. You see the first SmitLLoyd vessel I worked on, and the captain I worked with in this very video.

Could get pretty rough sometimes; have a look at this:

Jeroen