Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 3rd May 2006, 14:59   #16
Team-BHP Support

Actually though the faq says 2005, worldspace car radios are still under development by delphi though Sirius and XM are available. There are some prototypes for Worldspace. Once they come into market, they should be available in India. Few months back there was an article about worldspace in your car, but dunno what happened on that front. Google for answers, maybe you find some!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2006, 15:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

The Tongshi Worldspace receiver can be mounted in a car. The unit itself is really tiny - about 4 inches long by 3 inches wide and 1/2 an inch tall -, it comes with a dashboard-mountable stand and a magnetic antenna holder (which you can use to put the - regular - antenna onto your roof as they put red lights on some civilian cars in hollywood movies) and either Headphone-to-RCA cables or an FM modulator to connect to your car HU. Ideal mounting for the unit is on the rear parcel tray, connected to the HU through FM channels - that way the cable to the antenna doesnt clutter up the dash.

Its not the perfect (as in Worldspace-capable HU) but a workable solution. I feel its better suited to SUVs where the high roofline & luggage rails can hide the antenna from view, the cable can be routed through the luggage-space door and the unit itself can be inconspicuously tucked away in a corner of the luggage space.

Last edited by Steeroid : 3rd May 2006 at 15:43.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2006, 15:48   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Bad solution GTO? You have an office. this means you have a broadband line. Or you can buy a 256kbps broadband unlimited line for about 1000rs/month.
So all you need to do is tune into 128kbps internet radio. There you are, bingo! Instand radio. 40 channels, lets talk about 40000
Nope. Considered and we do use internet radio off and on. But Worldspace was just a lot more convenient.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2006, 16:03   #19

GTO is right.I got 1 for myself for sri lanka also.Same music is repeated all the time.I did'nt renew their subscribtion this year.The local Fm channels in India are great yaar.
hitec_sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2006, 18:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

I got the WorldSpace in March 2005 for Rs.5500. After the installation, i spent 3 days sitting in front of it.To be honest, everyday, there would be just one song that i've listened to before. And after that 3 days, till today i haven't bothered to switch it on.

Its the worst investment i've ever done.
If u're gonna spend a lot of time near the Worldspace reciever, it might be useful.For a person like me, who's always travelling by road, i need one in my car. Like the example of XM radio in US. Till then, i'd suggest everyone to think twice and listen atleast to all the channels for an hour at the showroom before deciding to go in. What their brochure says is totally different from what U get.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 03:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Bad solution GTO? You have an office. this means you have a broadband line. Or you can buy a 256kbps broadband unlimited line for about 1000rs/month.
So all you need to do is tune into 128kbps internet radio. There you are, bingo! Instand radio. 40 channels, lets talk about 40000

Agree to you. There are 24hour live net radio stations with music playing at 160kbps. But then different people have different needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhirajs
The best thing to use in cars if u like listening to radio.

Gujju ,it cannot be used in the car.I agree with satish all the way on this.
Buddy I am not in India.

here in Toronto We also have a portable xm radio from delphi.

I dunno which models are available in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
The same problem here Satish saab. My wife thinks its useless for us. And actually she is right. My house remains locked most of the time. Only a car radio could be of use to me. Unfortunately they do not have an option there.

By the way, I am a bit confused with what some people have posted... Tanveer bhai, tell me something. If a particular car radio can catch worldspace signals in XYZ country why should it not be possible to do the same here? Its the same signal getting beamed over the world... I mean what is the issue in launching this system here? Is it the cost factor?
I would agree with your wife. Coz as the concept goes "Radio should be free." As a great comedian said during the last oscars to criticize net radio

" Cd's should be bought and radio should be free"

The reasons for all the stations not being caught can be due to Mumbai being on the shore and hence on the edge. According to what I know worldspace has two satelites

1 in Asia and 1 in Africa. Sometimes signals from both penetrate anothers territory. sound quality is good though.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 03:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

Look for portable units here. Lots of them

http://www.xmradio.com/xmp3/index.jsp

car stereos here

http://www.xmradio.com/car/index.jsp

sirius models selection is limited but here it is

http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/serv...ydirection=ASC

worldspace radio selection

this one looks portable to me as it has headphones attached to it.

http://www.worldspace.com/receivers/tongshi.html

particularly this one is an intresting offer.

http://www.worldspace.in/bringnew.asp
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 04:34   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
2. They have a lot of repetition of songs. Much more than regular channels and it gets annoying at times.

GTO
Very true and the most irritating part is they repeat at the same time the next day. My listening hours are 9.30 to 11 and you know what song they are going to play next as you heard the sequence the previous night. The other problem is with the music quality, I feel there is a lot of loss in SQ in the way they compress\transmit their music. There is no disturbance or noise but I don't get enough depth\punch through my BPL receiver. I tried hitachi and tongshi but results were the same. Radio City FM91 in Bangalore has better SQ than WorldSpace.
S@~+#0$# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 17:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Guys, its been two days since that my WS fails to receive signals. It comes on and off. The service guy fixed the TDM gone problem a few weeks back as the monkeys had turned the antenna.

It was working fine from then and its been like this of recent. I feel bad to call the service personnel here again as my town is not listed in their customer care center and usually the guys turn up months after. This is my last resort.

Its been raining cats and dogs with immense fog. Could this be a reason?
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 19:00   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
............ I feel bad to call the service personnel here again..........
Every company would love to have you as their customer.
neoranjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 12:18   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

1. You dont get all stations at some locations of south bombay. This is something they dont tell you in advance. Compared to a Dadar location which gets 40+ channels, my churchgate office gets only 25 - 30.
There are two satellites to which Worldspace receiver is locked in for the complete list of channels. This is can be seen when you do a search on the settop box. The satellite bands are 75 and 80 i think. I am also facing this problem recently of getting access only to one of the link, but luckily that hosts most of the Indian music channels as I am not much into Western music. Mumbai as a location being at the Western end, with the satellites parked somewhere over South-East Asia, faces more interruptions.

Last edited by emkay456 : 9th November 2009 at 12:19.
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote