Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 29th November 2012, 17:58   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Counter guy at Cafe Coffee Day tries to cheat me

Had faced an issue at the CCD which is just after after Maddur, while going towards Mysore. We had ordered a latte & a cappuccino and requested to make the coffee a bit strong. Amount charged seemed higher that what was quoted in the menu. After persuasion, the person at the billing counter produced 2 crumpled bills, one for what we ordered and one for espresso for making latte stronger. Not sure if this is way it is done. Why he threw the bills away is beyond me unless he wanted to cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Today evening I was out with my family for coffee. We went to a nearby CCD, ordered 3 coffees, one cold coffee, and a couple of snacks.
Which CCD is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
Its a movie hall, so I guess they expect people to be careless. This is a huge scam there.
Its interval time, long queue at the counter and at the rest room. Prices are already jacked up. After collecting the stuff, your hands are full and you can't count the change. Sure, its perfect setup for cheating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
In supermarkets there is another phenomena,
Related thread for retail billing: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ustworthy.html (Retail store billing - Trustworthy?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
P.S . Call me a CONSERVATIVE but a decent cup of coffee with CCD like ambience shouldn't cost more than INR 30 in my estimate. Not the extortionist 85 + tax + tip = INR 110
Any establishment is free to charge whatever they want, as long as their target customers are willing to pay. Rs 110 is previous mentioned to the customer (which includes cost of interiors, brewing machines, uniform for staff, etc). But cheating is absolute no.

Last edited by msdivy : 29th November 2012 at 18:12. Reason: Quoting @fiestarry
msdivy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 19:49   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
This thread deals with erroneous billing or wrong pricing improper price up-dation and the like. What I was mentioning was that of outright cheating by the staff on their own by cheating both the owner and the customer alike.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 12:28   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
Hey, C'mon ! If the employee of CCD or Costa is pocketing money instead of putting it in the till it is the problem of the owners of these coffee shops.

The employee of CCD in this case happened to loot the customer . Now that is a serious problem. This is how criminals start their career, and if it goes unpunished he / she will become a serious threat to the society someday.

There is nothing wrong in pocketing the tips that he receives from customers, but he has no right to steal from them.

Glad that somebody started a thread like this, from now I must be more careful at such places.

Last edited by girimajiananth : 30th November 2012 at 12:34.
girimajiananth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 22:13   #34
BHPian

I have had two experiences after reading this thread that I would like to mention here :

1. I ordered for a take away cappuccino, the guy behinds the counter asked me if I wanted a medium or large. Whatever happened to the small? Anyway, if that wasn't enough he directs me to the take away counter. The bugger didn't know I am from the same industry and without a KOT (Kitchen order ticket) and a bill he can easily pocket it. I ask him for my bill. I get an sms which takes my attention, the next thing I know he's already billing the person who was behind me. I give him a cold stare and ask for my bill. He apologizes and finally produces a bill.

2. I was at the CCD at the Masjid Moth, Greater Kailash part 2 and ordered for a cappuccino. I take out 70 bucks from my pocket and the next thing I know is that I was billed for a medium cappuccino. I wonder why 'one cappuccino please' doesn't qualify for a regular cappuccino.

This whole automatically bill for a medium is really irritating. The employee might not be the one to blame and these directions may be from the management but for the end customer it is really frustrating. I don't want a double caffeine shot, why isn't that understood?
AbhishekB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 07:57   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Had faced an issue at the CCD which is just after after Maddur, while going towards Mysore. We had ordered a latte & a cappuccino and requested to make the coffee a bit strong. Amount charged seemed higher that what was quoted in the menu. After persuasion, the person at the billing counter produced 2 crumpled bills, one for what we ordered and one for espresso for making latte stronger. Not sure if this is way it is done. Why he threw the bills away is beyond me unless he wanted to cheat.
A shot of espresso (charged extra) is the perfectly correct way to make a stronger latte.
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 10:05   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86
I have had two experiences after reading this thread that I would like to mention here :

1. I ordered for a take away cappuccino, the guy behinds the counter asked me if I wanted a medium or large. Whatever happened to the small?
This is true in several places like MC Donald's and KFC too. The menu shows the small but you WILL be asked if youbwant medium or large. Pure gimmick. However the meal combos always have the small ones.
deep_bang is offline   Reply With Quote