Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2012, 13:00   #31
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LAX-SNA-BFL-BLR
Posts: 319
Thanked: 12 Times
Default re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide. The 4 others sentenced to DEATH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I agree with Mr. Rohit Bal, a leading fashion designer.

According to him, the best punishment for a rapist would be to cut off his genitals. Simple as that. Pass this law and see the difference it makes.

We are in dire need of some strict criminal laws. In a place like Singapore, there is literally zero crime, why can't we try to emulate them in this department?
The problem with India is too many people, and too little regard for the existing laws that are in place. People have become barbarians in some places and its shocking .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Shocking, disgusting and ... Even now the hooligans were trying to accost the reporter of HT the next day. They deserve nothing less that a summary trial and early execution. Given the nature of the injuries it may be better for the lady to get deliverance. Also, the the charges can be made to 302 or at least 304.

What about the ex-President commuting many of the sentences of the rape and murder convicts. She should be answerable.

Now that 7 Janpath has woken up I will like a few heads to roll - pronto.
hopefully it will happen. I would love to see something so that other women wouldnt have to live in fear.
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 13:09   #32
BHPian
 
mannubhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 409
Thanked: 285 Times
Default re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide. The 4 others sentenced to DEATH.

We the people wake up for a day or two. Ww wake up , make a lots of posts in FB or Twitter, take out a candle march, sign posters etc etc. All of these have minor impact. They fizzle out as the next incident emerges.

The media is the same, the delhi girl is just a story. They will have panel discussions, end less hours of mud throwing. But It will fizzle out when the next story breaks.

What we need is strong law makers, stronger laws, and a system where judiciary and law enforcement can work with out being influenced.

That can happen only if you and me vote, and vote for the right guy.

Im not joking about the 1800's laws that are being followed. The girls in Mumbai who posted on FB were booked under a law that was made in 1861. Now that is 150 years old. And we still practice it, arrest people and sentence them also.

That is what needs to change
mannubhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 13:09   #33
BHPian
 
sa_kiran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thane
Posts: 513
Thanked: 160 Times
Default re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide. The 4 others sentenced to DEATH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
We are in dire need of some strict criminal laws. In a place like Singapore, there is literally zero crime, why can't we try to emulate them in this department?
If I'm not wrong, we have enough laws, well, too many of them. We need proper enforcement. If there are any more laws, there will be many more loopholes, which will be duly exploited.

Also, let us not fool ourselves by quoting examples of Singapore. What is Singapore compared to Indian area, population, diversity, etc? It is after all JUST A CITY, where some select few pass the law.

We should cultivate RESPECT FOR LAW. This should happen at homes and schools. Everybody should be a role model for others, particularly children. They are going to be the future. I consider a majority of the present adults to be a wasted generation. They take all the facilities and amenities, but don't want to respect anything/don't give back anything good to the society. I hear a lot of people saying people follow rules, blah blah blah. The same set of people don't follow rules here and blurt out excuses! What stops them from following rules here?
sa_kiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 13:13   #34
BHPian
 
Prithvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 301
Thanked: 21 Times
Default re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide. The 4 others sentenced to DEATH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I agree with Mr. Rohit Bal, a leading fashion designer.

According to him, the best punishment for a rapist would be to cut off his genitals. Simple as that. Pass this law and see the difference it makes.

We are in dire need of some strict criminal laws. In a place like Singapore, there is literally zero crime, why can't we try to emulate them in this department?
Better they be casterated in public. Then no man will ever think of raping ever. Sadly our politicians do not have the guts or the will to pass a law. We will never ever be like Singapore, so lets stop comparing! Mera Bharath Mahan!
Prithvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 13:19   #35
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LAX-SNA-BFL-BLR
Posts: 319
Thanked: 12 Times
Default re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide. The 4 others sentenced to DEATH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
We the people wake up for a day or two. Ww wake up , make a lots of posts in FB or Twitter, take out a candle march, sign posters etc etc. All of these have minor impact. They fizzle out as the next incident emerges.

The media is the same, the delhi girl is just a story. They will have panel discussions, end less hours of mud throwing. But It will fizzle out when the next story breaks.

What we need is strong law makers, stronger laws, and a system where judiciary and law enforcement can work with out being influenced.

That can happen only if you and me vote, and vote for the right guy.

Im not joking about the 1800's laws that are being followed. The girls in Mumbai who posted on FB were booked under a law that was made in 1861. Now that is 150 years old. And we still practice it, arrest people and sentence them also.

That is what needs to change
Things wont change if people dont take this up. It needs to be like Tahrir Square was in Cairo, every day. Otherwise this will fade to the background. I am not an Indian Citizen (im a PIO) and i wish i could vote. But if i could vote, i wouldnt vote for anyone running at the central level because they are all complicit in this. The youth need to step it up in India; such a young population has a bunch of old people representing them :(.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
If I'm not wrong, we have enough laws, well, too many of them. We need proper enforcement. If there are any more laws, there will be many more loopholes, which will be duly exploited.

Also, let us not fool ourselves by quoting examples of Singapore. What is Singapore compared to Indian area, population, diversity, etc? It is after all JUST A CITY, where some select few pass the law.

We should cultivate RESPECT FOR LAW. This should happen at homes and schools. Everybody should be a role model for others, particularly children. They are going to be the future. I consider a majority of the present adults to be a wasted generation. They take all the facilities and amenities, but don't want to respect anything/don't give back anything good to the society. I hear a lot of people saying people follow rules, blah blah blah. The same set of people don't follow rules here and blurt out excuses! What stops them from following rules here?
more than respect for the law, its a cultural thing. Over 50 percent of this nation is still illiterate or undereducated. Killing of girl fetuses and babies still happens. When you have that, its easy to see how this awful crime can happen, that too with increasing frequency.
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 13:21   #36
BHPian
 
scorpian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: GOA
Posts: 263
Thanked: 103 Times
Default re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide. The 4 others sentenced to DEATH.

Incidents like these happen as there is no fear of the law.Fear to a great extent brings respect.The whole system is stupid with bail amounts as paltry as 5000 and what not.i mean what the heck anybody could arrange that kind of cash ina phonecall.
The system needs a revamp.Crimes like rapes and mursers are heinous and devastating for the entire families.Barbarian it may sound but for crimes like rape the punishment needs to be severe just cut of the genitals or castration.Secondly all these crimes need to fast tracked no long court battles where the victim keeps getting raped mentally and finally loses it,three sessions and verdict should be enforced.
I guess many people are of the opinion that let the case go in court and there it will linger for 10-15years,so they misuse the system.
We need harsher laws only then can we see the change or else everyday another young innocent victim would lose her battle.
Rape is like a living death sentence to the victim!!
scorpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 13:22   #37
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 143
Thanked: 13 Times
Default re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide. The 4 others sentenced to DEATH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I agree with Mr. Rohit Bal, a leading fashion designer.

According to him, the best punishment for a rapist would be to cut off his genitals. Simple as that. Pass this law and see the difference it makes.

We are in dire need of some strict criminal laws. In a place like Singapore, there is literally zero crime, why can't we try to emulate them in this department?

Agree. Also I strongly feel the punishment should be so painful that no one else would ever think of commiting the crime again. Also make the punishment public and let every one see what happens to him.
vinukm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 13:28   #38
BHPian
 
mannubhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 409
Thanked: 285 Times
Default re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide. The 4 others sentenced to DEATH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
If I'm not wrong, we have enough laws, well, too many of them. We need proper enforcement. If there are any more laws, there will be many more loopholes, which will be duly exploited.
We have too many laws, Yes. But we have too many historic laws, that should have found its place in the museum. The ones we have are either too loose ended or too soft, for any one to have any fear.

Take the example of a simple offence like, parking in a no parking zone. The fine is Rs 100. A place like Barton centre in Bangalore MG road, charges Rs 50 per hour to park there. One might as well park under a no parking sign, and if caught , pay Rs 100 to the cop and walk off. Will he dare to do the same if the fine was rs 1000 ?
mannubhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 13:45   #39
BHPian
 
sa_kiran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thane
Posts: 513
Thanked: 160 Times
Default re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide. The 4 others sentenced to DEATH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
more than respect for the law, its a cultural thing. Over 50 percent of this nation is still illiterate or undereducated. Killing of girl fetuses and babies still happens. When you have that, its easy to see how this awful crime can happen, that too with increasing frequency.
Disregard for law has been a recent phenomenon in our country, may be last 50-100 years (probably people have not forgotten Gandhi's call for civil disobedience!). And, it is not the illiterate and uneducated who are the culprits all the time. If you consider female feticide, it is practiced more by so-called educated people. We should not denigrate poor and uneducated as unruly.

I'll give you an example. I used to live in Pune a few years ago and work in a far away place. I used to commute by company bus. This bus used to pass through Kalyani Nagar, perpendicular to the bridge. There used to be jam every evening around the time our bus used to pass. We observed it for a few days and decided that it is better to get down and direct the traffic for a few minutes than sitting in the bus cursing the jam. My observation is - it was easy to tell rickshaw and call center cab drivers to stop and move, than so-called educated people in their cars (identified by ID card tags around necks).

I still say that we should cultivate respect for laws and also every other person. We should realize that if I want somebody to follow rules, I should also follow, if I want somebody not to honk unnecessarily, I should also not honk unnecessarily...
sa_kiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 13:51   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
download2live's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,101
Thanked: 387 Times
Default re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide. The 4 others sentenced to DEATH.

Blame is on our shoulders.
This middle class attitude of "Leave it. It happened to them. Not me." has to change.
Because someday it will happen to you too.

As far as Indian democracy is concerned, I feel it never had a chance. It was still born. Life is cheap here.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 13:55   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,613
Thanked: 949 Times
Default Re: Delhi Bus Rape Case..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
People in Egypt were suppressed for a long time and they stood up and overthrew a dictatorship. I am not advocating for an overthrow of government but ordinary, common people need to take to the streets and make their voices heard.
Of course you need to also factor in that in Egypt the Islamist fundamentalists had always been sidelined, and they made use of this unrest to wrest power.
So did people overthrow the dictatorship or was it a potential underdog "dictator" overthrowing a well established dictator using the masses?

Wait and watch what happens to Libya and Egypt ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
I don't know why there isn't a thread about this yet but it's not about politics here, it's about basic human decency. What a heinous crime; 6 adults assaulting and raping a 23 year old woman and then tossing her out like a piece of trash. :(.
The larger the population, the more insensitive it becomes.
Its a well known phenomenon known as "Someone Else's Problem".
No one takes any action because everyone believes its not their problem, and someone else will take care ...
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 13:57   #42
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LAX-SNA-BFL-BLR
Posts: 319
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Delhi Bus Rape Case..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
Disregard for law has been a recent phenomenon in our country, may be last 50-100 years (probably people have not forgotten Gandhi's call for civil disobedience!). And, it is not the illiterate and uneducated who are the culprits all the time. If you consider female feticide, it is practiced more by so-called educated people. We should not denigrate poor and uneducated as unruly.

I'll give you an example. I used to live in Pune a few years ago and work in a far away place. I used to commute by company bus. This bus used to pass through Kalyani Nagar, perpendicular to the bridge. There used to be jam every evening around the time our bus used to pass. We observed it for a few days and decided that it is better to get down and direct the traffic for a few minutes than sitting in the bus cursing the jam. My observation is - it was easy to tell rickshaw and call center cab drivers to stop and move, than so-called educated people in their cars (identified by ID card tags around necks).

I still say that we should cultivate respect for laws and also every other person. We should realize that if I want somebody to follow rules, I should also follow, if I want somebody not to honk unnecessarily, I should also not honk unnecessarily...
Our culture reveres Women as Gods, literally. Yet when this happens, i wonder what is really going on with our society.

Kiran, its more than about not following the law, its the basic culture. Somehow, many men feel threatened by women, for god knows what reason. You have politicians saying they should stay indoors after 8 pm. I am not trying to denigrate anyone here, rather i am saying that the lack of education and backward social practices can more often than not, lead to these kinds of things happening.
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 14:06   #43
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mumbai, MH
Posts: 498
Thanked: 176 Times
Post re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide. The 4 others sentenced to DEATH.

Whatever the reason; this is a disgusting, appalling, sickening, horrid, repugnant, loathsome and abominable incident and must be condemned and penalized severely. I was saddened just to read about it in the papers. I can only begin to imagine the trauma that poor girl must've gone through in those godforsaken moments. And now she might have to pay for it with her life. Unfair!

Although I know it can never happen in a democratic setup such as ours, I want those perpetrators to be castrated in public for once. It will set a rock-hard precedent and in the future, criminals will at least stop a moment to think of the law before committing such a heinous crime. Fear might just be that preventive shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Taking a person's dignity and peace of mind are the worst things you can do.
Couldn't agree more with you pganapathy. I hope to God these the scum that these people are, will have to answer to a bigger power someday for their actions.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 19th December 2012 at 14:09.
Omtoatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 14:20   #44
BHPian
 
mannubhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 409
Thanked: 285 Times
Default re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide. The 4 others sentenced to DEATH.

This reporter was reporting the rape case, and she gets eve teased on the road. This is scary

mannubhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 14:50   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,275
Thanked: 2,115 Times
Default re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide. The 4 others sentenced to DEATH.

Oh firstly the attitude that is the problem.

Oh be careful in Delhi, most people have a gun, Oh don't get into an argument with anyone they are all connected, oh this, oh that. WHAT NONSENSE. The government should be like a ring master with the people as the animals that need to be trained.

Until people start fearing the law, nothing will change. The police and government should get so harsh with people that they should get a chill down their spine the moment even the thought of committing a crime comes in their mind. Be it a traffic signal brake, or slapping a policeman on the road.

Its the absence of this fear which is leading to India being a 'banana republic'. If only Indira Gandhi was alive. Most politicians now are looking at elections, seats, vote banks, gat bandhans etc etc. No one is looking at our India who is suffering because of everyone's greed.

I hope they make an example of these rapists, such an example that atleast for some time the fear will remain in the hearts of people.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service GTO Street Experiences 931 12th July 2017 18:59
Woman driver sentenced to 5 years in prison in drunk driving case harshaguduru Street Experiences 32 19th January 2015 15:04
Saddam Hussein Sentenced to death....... maxbhp Shifting gears 65 2nd January 2007 20:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:54.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks