Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 11th October 2013, 21:41   #136
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Sachin Tendulkar announces retirement after playing his 200th Test Match

I think this was coming, the moment the 2 test series against West Indies was announced (maybe it was setup this way so he could play the milestone test at home).
All good things must come to an end someday and so with SRT!
Though he's not been in the best of form (statistically), as January 2011 was when he scored his last Test century. As someone said it's better to retire when people ask "Why" and not "Why not ?"
But kudos to the legend who still maintains his fitness levels. He has contributed so much to the game in India and excelled in all formats. His batting has been a pleasure to watch over the years and sometimes did magic with his bowling too like the Hero cup semi-final against the south africans who couldn't get 6 runs from that over In fact he has 150+ wickets in ODI's.
He along with Ravi Shastri opened in ODI's to pioneer pinch-hitting with focus on first 15 overs and others learnt from him and took it to greater heights.
Many of us including myself have grown up watching him play and will definitely miss his presence. But the old must give way to the new and hopefully we will see more such iconic players emerge and do the nation proud.
Of all the stats of his career what surprised me is that he has the 5th longest cricketing career, so there are people who have played more number of years than him ? I never expected this since he's played from age 16 to 40, 26 years and is still 5th longest!

Last edited by NPV : 11th October 2013 at 21:47. Reason: adding surprise stat
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2013, 07:22   #137
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Sachin Tendulkar announces retirement after playing his 200th Test Match

Thanks for all you have given SRT. Several long innings, those beautiful back foot punches, those lovely cover drives, those brilliant hooks, and probably the most beautiful straight drives ever seen. It has been a privilege watching you all the way from the day you thrashed Abdul Qadir, till the day you retire. All the adulation, and you still have your feet firmly on the ground. All the best for your next innings.
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2013, 07:33   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
No controversies for Gavaskar?
Gavaskar had a lots of controversies - the biggest one being the walkout after being given to Dennis Lillee at Melbourne. Other than that, the dropping of Kapil Dev, the 36* in 60 overs in a World Cup match, selecting what was almost a Shivaji Park XI as the Indian team for a tour. And post retirement, there has been the scandal of money being found in his locker.

Why should he write?
Oops !! Seems to have trudged in a sensitive territory ...

I am a Gavaskar fan, whom I heard (over radio) and later watched (over B/W TV) as a kid to adolescent, 13 of the 16 years he played.
When he retired in 1987, it seemed one GOD has retired and may seniors commented that Indian cricket will never be the same again !!

But in came Tendulkar 2 years later and over the last 24 years he has ensured that Indian cricket was not the same again, but just the reverse of what was meant after by the comments after Gavaskar's retirement.
Tendulkar (as I said in my earlier post) has reduced Gavaskar from God to Demi God (even for a fan like me). I am a Tendulkar fan equally (maybe a shade more today because of the freshness of his cricketing memories).

By controversies I had meant things like betting scandals, women, etc. Picking & dropping will remain. Kapil Dev's dropping was an issue then IIRC. There was a quarrel over this issue in our house as my Father was Gavaskar camp and Mother Kapil camp !!
Moreover, Gavaskar was a Test player and could not adapt very well to ODIs. But again, in the era he played, cricket essentially was test matches.
Tendulkar on the other hand has adapted to the changing milieu of global cricket.

Issues I hear about Tendulkar as well.
-- Was never a courageous captain !!
-- He has played for "himself" not country !!
-- Whichever match he has scored a century, India has lost !!
-- etc. etc.
To which I purposely turn a deaf ear.
And I hear it most from Saurav Ganguly fans in Kolkata (naturally here they are in large numbers). Ganguly is God of Kolkata, and any overt negativity about him can cause a public outcry leading to dire consequences !!
Undoubtedly, he is one of the best Left Hand batsman India has ever produced. Globally there are others too.

These are expression of personal views and intention is not to hurt feelings of fans. My prior apologies, incase somebody feels that emotions have been hurt.

Why should Tendulkar not write? We can come to know his views, share experiences from his shoes about the long cricketing career he had. Will it not be a valuable source of knowledge for all cricket lovers?

Finally, the point I wanted to make:
Why can we not hope to have somebody in the future, who will surpass Tendulkar in all quarters (on and off the field) and take the standards of Indian cricket to higher levels?
If history repeats itself, will it not be good for Indian cricket?

I feel it will be. Differences are welcome.

Regards,
Saurav
sauravdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2013, 07:51   #139
Senior - BHPian

I still remember those days, when we used to believe, if Sachin is not out, INDIA still has a chance to win the match.

The two matches in Sharjah against AUSTRALIA are the best. 143 and 137.

The test match where he completely stopped playing offside shots.

Dedication Dedication and Dedication.

I will miss Sachin sorely, and his straight drives.
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2013, 08:36   #140
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Sachin Tendulkar announces retirement after playing his 200th Test Match

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravdc View Post
By controversies I had meant things like betting scandals, women, etc. Picking & dropping will remain. Kapil Dev's dropping was an issue then IIRC. There was a quarrel over this issue in our house as my Father was Gavaskar camp and Mother Kapil camp !!
Moreover, Gavaskar was a Test player and could not adapt very well to ODIs. But again, in the era he played, cricket essentially was test matches.
Tendulkar on the other hand has adapted to the changing milieu of global cricket.

Issues I hear about Tendulkar as well.
-- Was never a courageous captain !!
-- He has played for "himself" not country !!
-- Whichever match he has scored a century, India has lost !!
-- etc. etc.
To which I purposely turn a deaf ear.
"Hearing about" and "involving into controversies" are 2 different things. I'm not sure what you meant exactly when you said - "Issues I hear about Tendulkar"

Anyway, let me try to analyze the points that you mentioned.

-- Was never a courageous captain !! - Completely agree. He was never a good captaincy material. But, why worry about his only weakness. I'm happy that he was not a good captain. Had he been a good captain, we would have missed the batting glory of the little man.

- He has played for "himself" not country !! - The biggest joke of the century. Doesn't even deserve a reply.

Whichever match he has scored a century, India has lost !! - It's said, in ODIs, batsmen win you matches while in Test matches, bowlers win you matches. If you need further explanation on the above statement, let me know. I'll give. We'll see Sachin's records in ODI matches that India won and matches that India lost.

In Matches that India won

Matches - 234
Batting Average - 56.63
Strike Rate - 90.31
HS - 200 no
100s - 33
Bowling Average - 33.26

In matches that India lost

Matches - 200
Batting Average - 33.25
Strike Rate - 79.86
HS - 175
100s - 14
Bowling Average - 63.83

So, what are the conclusions ?

On matches that India win,
  • Sachin scores 70% more when India wins compared to the games in which India loses.
  • Sachin's century scoring rate becomes twice in matches that India win compared to matches where India has lost.
  • Sachin's strike rate is 13% more on matches that India win
  • Even Sachin's bowling average is twice as good on matches that India win.
The argument that when Sachin scores, India loses is an argument created by the Aussies and English for the simple reason that that's the only way they could have pulled down this legend because Sachin in his prime played in one of the weakest Indian team ever and probability of India winning was much lower than the loses.

Now, take all of this stats out. I would always rate Sachin's 175 against the Aussies on a losing cause ahead of his 200 on a winning cause. Same is the case with his 143 in Sharjah on a losing cause ahead of the 134. Cricket is not just about winning and losing. It's also about how the runs are scored and wickets are taken. And Sachin has been a pleasure to the eyes. As what Lara told when he retired - "Did I entertain you? " The answer to that question is a mighty Yes in the case of Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar, and that's what inspired most of the cricketers of the current generation ( Sehwag, Dhoni, Raina, Gambhir, Yuvraj ). More than any runs that Sachin has scored, it's these world class players - the indirect output of the magical Sachin ( the same way, Sachin was the output of people like Sunny and Kapil ) which should be valued more. He inspired a generation to play and love the game of cricket.

Last edited by amalji : 12th October 2013 at 08:47.
amalji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2013, 09:08   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
"Hearing about" and "involving into controversies" are 2 different things. I'm not sure what you meant exactly when you said - "Issues I hear about Tendulkar"
@ amalji

Completely agree with you. That is why in short,
Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I still remember those days, when we used to believe, if Sachin is not out, INDIA still has a chance to win the match.

I said "issues" because these are issues not controversies. Tendulkar never had any "controversies".
I said "hear" because I hear when others say, (since I cannot close my ears) maybe what they say is baseless. That is why I turn a deaf ear to these "hearings".
Thanks for providing the analysis in the form of condensed statistics in reply to my post. Will retain this and refer back whenever I again "hear" of the "issues" (which happens very often in Kolkata).

The Aussie & English arguments sadly are endorsed by a lot of Indians as well.

He not only inspired but also and "built" a generation. The team we have TODAY.

That is why he is still GOD of cricket.

Regards
Saurav

Last edited by GTO : 14th October 2013 at 15:50. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
Old 12th October 2013, 09:46   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Undoubtedly, he is one of the best Left Hand batsman India has ever produced. Globally there are others too.
There are others too? Actually there were tons of other left handers internationally who were much better than him. In India, he may have been the best because there really wasn't much completion in tests. Other left handers who played tests for India were Surinder Amarnath and Vinod Kambli. Saurav was essentially a weak attack or flat pitch bully. Towards the end he improved a little with the 100 in Australia. However it wasn't a very good Australian attack. Both is 100s against Australia (1 at home) were when there was no McGrath, no Warne. He doesn't have a single 100 against South Africa, home or away. Otherwise, most of his overseas 100s were scored in England in a time when the England bowling was really weak. Sourav a very good ODI batsman though - I would put him as one of the best for India - very close to Tendulkar, but in tests, he was quite average - out of Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman, Sehwag & Ganguly - I would put Ganguly as the last I would pick for a test team.

Of course, this is my personal opinion and I don't intend to hurt feelings of his fans.

Quote:
Why should Tendulkar not write?
Why should he not write is not an answer to "Why should he write". Otherwise I can ask stuff like "Why does he not play football", "Why does he not do any programming etc".

Last edited by carboy : 12th October 2013 at 10:05.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 01:54   #143
BHPian

Quote:
There are others too? Actually there were tons of other left handers internationally who were much better than him. In India, he may have been the best because there really wasn't much completion in tests. Other left handers who played tests for India were Surinder Amarnath and Vinod Kambli. Saurav was essentially a weak attack or flat pitch bully. Towards the end he improved a little with the 100 in Australia. However it wasn't a very good Australian attack. Both is 100s against Australia (1 at home) were when there was no McGrath, no Warne. He doesn't have a single 100 against South Africa, home or away. Otherwise, most of his overseas 100s were scored in England in a time when the England bowling was really weak. Sourav a very good ODI batsman though - I would put him as one of the best for India - very close to Tendulkar, but in tests, he was quite average - out of Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman, Sehwag & Ganguly - I would put Ganguly as the last I would pick for a test team.

Of course, this is my personal opinion and I don't intend to hurt feelings of his fans.
Agree with you ...

ODI combination of Ganguly & Tendulkar was one of the best opening pairs in India for a long time. However GOD was a part of it.

Even no offense meant from my end for Ganguly fans. Here in Kolkata his fans support him more on emotions than reason.

In Mumbai, however, fans of Tendulkar support him for reasons more than emotions. Personal observation for 7 years.

I am NOT saying it is emotion=100 : reason=0 or vice versa in either case.

But here I have seen citizens of Kolkata support Pune Warriors in IPL and not KKR, just because Ganguly was playing for Pune !! Till the previous season, however, they were KKR fans !! Very disturbing trend.

Quote:

Why should he not write is not an answer to "Why should he write". Otherwise I can ask stuff like "Why does he not play football", "Why does he not do any programming etc".
Agree, a question alone cannot be an answer to a question. This question was posted NOT as a question, but as a way of writing. Please read my post in full spirit. Especially, the boldfaced lines. They are from my previous post and I have already mentioned why his knowledge will be helpful for all his fans like us to see his viewpoint. That is why he should write to share his knowledge, learning, etc. It could be books, columns, or in any other form.

Quote:

Why should Tendulkar not write? We can come to know his views, share experiences from his shoes about the long cricketing career he had. Will it not be a valuable source of knowledge for all cricket lovers?
Old 13th October 2013, 06:02   #144
BHPian

Quote:

But here I have seen citizens of Kolkata support Pune Warriors in IPL and not KKR, just because Ganguly was playing for Pune !! Till the previous season, however, they were KKR fans !! Very disturbing trend.
Well I do not see anything disturbing in this, you support the team in which your favorite player is in.
People do cheer Mumbai Indians everywhere because Sachin is there.

Moreover Ganguly was closer to Kolkata people than KKR, which is a franchisee based out of Kolkata.
That said I do agree that their support for Ganguly goes overboard at times.

BTW this is just my opinion on this
y448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 15:18   #145

This thread is threatening to lose line and length like Ishant Sharma's bowling. Let's come back to the master's achievements, folks. Yes, he was rubbish as a captain and he tended to slow down and become circumspect near landmarks - but he was in a class of his own. People used to switch off TV sets around the country, whenever he got out as if the match was over and lost. He had his flaws but he worked around them. I still remember that home series against Australia, when he had Sivramkrishnan bowl behind his legs in the nets, to learn to negate Warne's spin. He did not take off his helmet while waiting in the dressing room, when there was a sandstorm over Sharjah. That is commitment folks - something that I rarely see in today's sportsmen whose only objectives begin and end with "vitamin-M".

He stayed on longer than his shelf-life and he has now read the writing on the wall. Nobody died because of it. If the selectors did not have the chutzpah to drop him, then it was their problem and not his.

I watched cricket over 20 years, because of this man and the feeling is going to get very surreal for a lot of people in the 30+ age bracket, who practically saw his entire career. To think, he was not even around when the following video was made and this still feels as fresh as yesterday. Get your handkerchiefs ready, people !!
green_wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 12:13   #146
BHPian

Looks like Wankhede will be the venue for his 200th test. Going by history, SRT will chew out his nails and get duck out in both innings. What a farce it is turning out to be

Last edited by WindRide : 16th October 2013 at 12:15.
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 12:14   #147
Team-BHP Support

Going by his luck - WC, IPL, Champoins trophy - I think he will score a hundred
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 12:25   #148
Senior - BHPian

What happened to series against South Africa? He was supposed to go on high, not like this. Will we have sporting pitches?
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 12:42   #149
BHPian

Next BCCI is going to ask West Indies to bowl nicely to Tendulkar so that he can score a century or two in his 200th test. I think Sachin should have announced retirement after he has scored his next century or if not after completing his 200th test whereever it was held. By announcing it before hand, if anyone else plays better will not get noticed at all. Poor west indies team will struggle to be visible in both the tests.
sukhoi30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 13:08   #150
BHPian

Everyone knew SRT would retire sooner than later - but when the news 'actually' came, one still felt surprised (don't understand why).
He deserves to go out on a high and I hope he gets some runs against the WI. Even if he does not, it does not belittle him. He is such an icon that he belongs to the world rather than just to India.

However I am mightily pissed off - Thought one of those Test matches was to be played in Bangalore. I wonder how could KSCA not fight this one out?
Mumbai deserved the last Test but the one before should have gone by the order. No amount of ODIs or T20s can suffice this one.
pratyush6 is offline   Reply With Quote