Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 16th October 2013, 14:09   #151
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Sachin Tendulkar announces retirement after playing his 200th Test Match

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
However I am mightily pissed off - Thought one of those Test matches was to be played in Bangalore. I wonder how could KSCA not fight this one out?
Mumbai deserved the last Test but the one before should have gone by the order. No amount of ODIs or T20s can suffice this one.
Given out of turn to Eden gardens to placate Jaggu Dalmiya for keeping out of the recent BCCI election fracas
Nobody of that level in KSCA at the moment, it may or may not be a good thing.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 14:39   #152
BHPian

Default Re: Sachin Tendulkar announces retirement after playing his 200th Test Match

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
Next BCCI is going to ask West Indies to bowl nicely to Tendulkar so that he can score a century or two in his 200th test
That would be asking for too much! Scoring a century lies not in weak bowling but in good batting. Even, SRT would not be expecting to score a century in these two tests.

Yes, we can not forget the fact that he is the flag bearer of this GenNext cricketers in Team India now. Cricketers like Yuvi and Virat have openly admitted to his impact on them and on the team. I still remember days when we use to switch off TVs as soon as he got out and seeing opponents heaving a sigh of relief. Let us give him due credit for this!
Gokrish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 22:48   #153
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
That would be asking for too much! Scoring a century lies not in weak bowling but in good batting. Even, SRT would not be expecting to score a century in these two tests.
I'm sure the Windies bowlers would be queuing up to bowl to him! If Panesar could trouble Sachin I'm sure Sunil Narine would be licking his lips sitting in the Carribean right now.
PPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 15:40   #154
BHPian

Amul's tribute:
Sachin Tendulkar announces retirement after playing his 200th Test Match-by26xbhcyaevoxh.jpg-large.jpg
darklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 00:29   #155
BHPian

Fantastic tribute to Sachin!

Biraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 09:04   #156
Team-BHP Support

When he walked out to bat yesterday at Wankhede. Notice the color of the bat's grip!

Sachin Tendulkar announces retirement after playing his 200th Test Match-sach.jpg

Source: Mail.

Also, turns out that Sachin's mum Rajni was watching her son play for the first time in his last match!

Sachin Tendulkar announces retirement after playing his 200th Test Match-rajni.jpg

The mother of all send-offs!

Source: HT

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th November 2013 at 09:28.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 09:24   #157
BHPian

Sachin is perhaps the most impactful cricketer that influenced almost 2 generations, if not 3.

Every time I see the team lineup, spotting SRT would bring a sense of confidence and assurance that India will do well.

I don't care about all those pessimist pests who question the hype and farewell. For a man who has entertained India (and cricketing world all around) over 24 years and represented India proudly, he deserves every minute of our attention.

Cricket Thanks AND will miss SRT.
India Thanks AND will miss SRT.

My dad, me and lot of my friends are thankful for having the privilege of watching Sachin for 24 years, and cherish every match experience.
harishpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 11:24   #158
Senior - BHPian

Today, he made a brilliant 74. This might not be good for all, but to me it was a graceful innings. There might be better replacements like Kohli, etc. but all seem to be crazy for a huge scorecard ( purely my IMHO ), but the match in which Sachin played, it was actually a game and not a hard hitting victory for sure stuff.

Not having enough words for him, but Sachin to me was the reason to watch cricket. 12 fours in his last match were very great strokes to me.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 14:14   #159
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Today, he made a brilliant 74. This might not be good for all, but to me it was a graceful innings.
After a very long time he played fluently! It was so good to watch.

Apparently the hashtag #ThankYouSachin was the most tweeted ever in India!
PPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 16:17   #160
BHPian

No day can't be any better than today for Sachin.
The most memorable way to retire from cricketing career by carrying home the most prestigious and highest civilian award, Bharath Ratna award. The first time in history for a sportsperson to grey this award.
treadmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 16:27   #161

Transcript of Sachin's speech ...

"All my friends, settle down let me talk, I'll get more and more emotional. "My life between 22 yards in the 24 years, it's hard to believe that it's coming to an end. I would like to thank all the people who have helped me in my life to get here. I have a list in my hand, please forgive me if I miss out on a few names. First, my father, he passed away in 1999. He was very key for my career. he gave me freedom, chase your dreams and don't find shortcuts. He also told me to be a nice human being. My mother, I don't how she dealt with such a naughty like guy me. She took care of me to be healthy. She started praying for me even before I started my career and I think those prayers gave my strength. In my school days , I used to stay with my uncle and aunt as my school was far away . They treated me like their son. They gave me enough food that I can play well. My eldest brother, he used to tell me, I know you'd do everything right and I have the confidence in you. My sister, she gave my the first bat for me. A Kashmir Willow bat. She continues to fast when I bat. Ajit , I don't what do I talk about him. It all started from the age of 11, he took to Achrekar sir my coach. And my life changed. Even last night, he called me and we were discussing my dismissal. Various things we agreed upon, my technique. I have had a lot of chat with him. If I had not done that, I would have been a lesser cricketer . The most important one in 1991, I met my wife Anjali . I know she was a doctor. When we decided to make it a family, she said, you continue with your cricket and I'll take care of the family. Without that I think I couldn't have played so much cricket. Thank you for all that you've done and it is the best partnership I've had in my life. Then Sara and Arjun are two precious diamonds in my life. Daughter is 16 and son is 14, time has flown by. I wasn't able to be with them for the birthdays , annaul days and stuff. Thanks for understanding all that, both of you have been so special to me. I've not spent enough time with you but I promise you the rest is for you. My in-laws have been supporting. I discuss various things with them, we have a strong family and thank you for allowing me to marry Anjali . There have been a lot of friends who have supported me. Leaving their work and coming to bowl at me when I called them. I thought my career was over when I was injured, by my friends called even at 3 AM and made me believe that it was not over . My career started at 11. My brother took me to Achrekar sir and that is the best to have happened to me. Sir would be taking me on his scooter all over Mumbai to ensure that I get enough match practice. On a lighter note, he's never said well played to me so that I don't get complacent."
"My cricket started right here at this ground. The dream was obviously to play for India. BCCI was fantastic , they believed my at the of 16 years and selected me. Thanks for the support and the freedom, without that this couldn't have happened. I have played with many senior cricketers , thanks to everyone for helping me out. I see, Rahul, Laxman , Sourav and my teamates, you guys are like my family. It is going to be difficult without that dressing room, sharing those special moments."
"When Dhoni gave me the 200th Test cap, I just said, we are all proud to be here as a team and I believe that you guys will take care of this country in the right spirit to the best of our abilities. I believe in you and all the best for your future. Thanks to all the doctors, physios , without your special efforts , I couldn't have been fit. I don't know how you all kept me in good shape. My dear friend, late Mark Mascerenhas, my first manager. Without him I couldn't have achieved all this. All those sponsorship deals etc.. thanks for your support. I miss you. My manager Vinod Naidu, he's more like my family. He's given me so much time leaving his family to work with him. In the school days when I played well, the media backed be a lot. You've been doing that till now. Thank you to all of you, all those photographers. Those moments will remain with me for the career. I thank all the people who supported me a lot. Whether I scored a 0 or a 100. I've met a lot of people who does all sorts of things for me, thank you for all that you've done. Especially, "Sachin... Sachin.." that will be ringing in my ears till I breath. GOODBYE "
rajneeshmakhija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 16:52   #162
Senior - BHPian

While I too think that he ought to have retired in April 2011, it is possible that he rendered unseen service to the test team by staying on till the current crop of test batsmen established themselves as they seem to have now.
And although Dravid may have been a more dependable batsman, he was never the one that made me turn off the TV when he was out, the way I tended to do when Sachin was out. For the life of me, I can't figure out the reason for that, but I am in the vast majority in this, I guess.
He is to be awarded the Bharat Ratna - well deserved, that.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 20:13   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Found this article online which echoes my emotions just about right-

"To me, he does what our national anthem could never do, what stories of our freedom struggle could never do, what our national leaders over all these years could not even some close to, and to an extent what even Mahatma Gandhi couldn’t manage to do. He brings my country together. Sachin Tendulkar is one and the only thing india unites on. Be it Hindus, Muslims, North Indians, South Indians, guys, girls, the urban high rise city folks or the farmer in the village, when Sachin is on 99 we all have but one wish in our hearts.

To me he is a symbol of Nationalism like no other I have seen in my lifetime.

Why does india need a symbol like that? Because we indians are all different! We don’t share the same religion, gods, language, food, culture, past, and even race. We have plenty of stuff to differentiate each other on, but little that brings us together. We need such a symbol now more than ever, as we need to come together tackle the bigger problems and rise up to where we should have been, where India should have been.*

Sachin’s departure from cricket, is not only crickets loss but also India as a nation, and we as indians. His spot is empty. Someone amongst the billion of us needs to fill that place and fill it fast. I hope we can once again as a nation come together with the same hopes and same feelings in our hearts for someone.

It saddens me to think that when they write the history books, they will mention Gandhi, Sardar Patel, Bhagat Singh, the Constitution, the National Anthem, our National Flag, but will confine Sachin to the sports records and ignore this great man’s biggest contribution to India."

Source- http://unhandledexceptions.tumblr.co...-an-indian-who
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 07:27   #164
Team-BHP Support

One couldn't help having a lump in his throat and tear in his yesterday. It is the end of an era. 24 years of cricketing excellence has come to an end. Is there any other player in world cricket who can draw crowds to a stadium like Sachin Tendulkar? I don't think so.
He was announced as a recipient of the Bharat Ratna. Well deserved, I say.
Goodbye Sachin and thank you.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 09:17   #165
BHPian

Sachin you are the best sports person in true spirit and thanks for entertaining all of us for 24 years. I was lucky to see you bat against Pakistan in your debut series and also see your last innings. I am surprised that there is no video of test matches played in his debut series, it was telecast live on Doordarshan at that time.
deehunk is offline   Reply With Quote