Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 2nd September 2013, 18:24   #91
Oxy
BHPian

Default re: Sachin Tendulkar announces retirement after playing his 200th Test Match

I think the BCCI wants to accomplish two things with this WI home series:
  1. Next home series is in Sep 2014, so a final cash milking exercise this year.
  2. They want CSA to suffer since they appointed Lorgat as their CEO against BCCI's wish.
Plus, I hear that they have preponed the NZ tour, which now starts mid January 2014, instead of mid Feb as planned earlier. So that leaves virtually no room for the SA tour. We are going to see a very shortened SA tour, which is really sad.

Why can't they shorten the 7 ODI home series against Australia is beyond me. Look at this even from Australia's point of view - their preparation for their home Ashes is 7 ODIs in India!!
Oxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 00:03   #92
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Sachin Tendulkar announces retirement after playing his 200th Test Match

All speculation laid to rest for the time being.

Quote:
As speculation is rife that Sachin Tendulkar may quit the game after playing his 200th Test, the senior India batsman today said he was in no rush to announce his retirement from international cricket.

"I don't think at this stage I need to do that," said Tendulkar when asked about his retirement.

"Where is the rush," he further added in an interview to a TV channel.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...w/22265487.cms
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2013, 14:55   #93
BHPian

Sachin Tendulkar in no mood to heed BCCI's quit-cricket request - http://ibnlive.in.com/news/cricketne...425664-78.html

'let the board official come and talk to me and only then will I take a call'

A case of arrogance oozing from his ears and nose? Who is he to decide when to leave? It's the board's/selectors' call for god's sake. Why are we, as a nation, collectively prostrating at this ego-istic man's feet? Is there no shame left, atleast in us, if not in him? Just because this fellow has done some good things eons ago, why pander to his every wish?

Sheeeeshhh..
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2013, 14:59   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
A case of arrogance oozing from his ears and nose? Who is he to decide when to leave? It's the board's/selectors' call for god's sake.
It is the board/selector's call to select him or not. However, it is totally his call whether to retire or not. Why should he be forced to retire by the board? If the selectors feel he isn't good enough to be in the team, why don't they have the guts to drop him instead of hiding behind asking him to retire? A player cannot force the selectors to select him. At the same time the board cannot force him to retire.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2013, 16:18   #95
Senior - BHPian

Personally I think he has delayed it too much. Would be getting more egotistic. People use 'I am still enjoying it, so I will continue' phrase a lot now a days.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2013, 16:25   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Personally I think he has delayed it too much. Would be getting more egotistic. People use 'I am still enjoying it, so I will continue' phrase a lot now a days.
From memory, I remember only 5 players retiring on their own in the history of Indian cricket. Gavaskar, Dravid, Laxman, Kumble and Srinath.
Old 1st October 2013, 16:35   #97
BHPian

I don't think, anybody other than Sachin himself, has the right to decide when to retire. Even the selectors, for that matter, can only drop him if they find his performances not as expected and cannot ask him to retire.

I'm just sick and tired of people asking him to retire to free a spot for a deserving youngster. How about all 10+yrs or 20+yrs experienced people in job being asked to retire from their positions for allowing fresh graduates to join? The same masses would stage protests to get back their jobs right?

And in the test arena, we have had Sourav, Dravid and VVS retired. Have we found reliable replacements for all the 3 yet? Except Kohli, who else has performed consistently replacing the big 3? We still have to find two more to fill the void before asking sachin to retire.

How would it sound if my employer asks me to retire? He may fire me, but retire, its totally up to me.

Last edited by swami.n : 1st October 2013 at 16:38.
swami.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2013, 17:11   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami.n View Post
How about all 10+yrs or 20+yrs experienced people in job being asked to retire from their positions for allowing fresh graduates to join? The same masses would stage protests to get back their jobs right?

How would it sound if my employer asks me to retire? He may fire me, but retire, its totally up to me.
You are comparing apples to oranges. Most of us work in jobs where the shelf life of an employee is 35-50 years. Also, number of employment slots is not fixed to 11 people, or even 11,000 or 11 lakhs.

In sports however, the number of slots are very limited and the shelf life of employee is also short, rarely above 15 years.

If only 11 people in India can be employed as software engineers, then I can assure you that only the best performing engineers will be retained and older ones will be asked to retire when they drop in performance.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2013, 17:22   #99
Senior - BHPian

Let's see how he performs in the tests, and based on performance the call can be taken by him and by the selectors (dropping).

It is disappointing to see great players performing below par when their time has passed. But whether it has passed for Tendulkar, I am not sure yet.

OT: too bad the IPL generation haven't seen Sachin in his prime before his elbow and back injuries that cut out some of his shots. A prime Tendulkar would have broken all records.
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2013, 17:26   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If only 11 people in India can be employed as software engineers, then I can assure you that only the best performing engineers will be retained and older ones will be asked to retire when they drop in performance.
Nope, they will dropped.

Vengsarkar was dropped, Vishwanath was dropped, Amarnath was dropped (many a times), Bedi was dropped, Prasanna was dropped, Kapil was told (not asked if he wanted to) to announce retirement. Asking to retire isn't really usual in Indian cricket from as far as I remember - it's the exception. And I am talking about the players who have had good careers (like the above).
Old 1st October 2013, 20:05   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Sachin Tendulkar in no mood to heed BCCI's quit-cricket request - http://ibnlive.in.com/news/cricketne...425664-78.html

'let the board official come and talk to me and only then will I take a call'

A case of arrogance oozing from his ears and nose?
This is a lousy piece of journalism designed to get exactly this kind of reaction. There is no direct quote from SRT in that article - the article is quoting an unnamed source who is close to the development. We have no idea who the source is and more importantly, how close is he/she to BCCI or SRT?

The report in ibnlive yesterday and the one today looks like somebody wants to force SRT's hand by drumming up support against him. Even yesterday's news item did not quote any source, just "someone close to the development".
StarrySky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2013, 23:02   #102
PPS
Senior - BHPian

What happens if Sachin out of the blue scores 2 hundreds against the Windies? People will then say let him stay on!

My feeling is he will try to stay on for as long as possible but the series against South Africa in their own backyard could be the deal-breaker. If he fails miserably then that will be it.
PPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2013, 10:51   #103
BHPian

Truly shocking people here prefer the old man to be sacked rather than he quitting on his own.
And to the person who bought in the parallel of being fired from employment: even when you are fired, it is usually made to look like you quit voluntarily. This is exactly what is told to SRT. BCCI does not want to insult the fellow by dropping him and is instead giving him the option of a graceful voluntary exit with much fanfare and drum beats.

At his age, dropping is akin to firing him from the sport itself.

Last edited by WindRide : 3rd October 2013 at 10:52.
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 16:05   #104
BHPian

Default Sachin Tendulkar announces retirement after his 200th Test

Quote:
Master Blaster Sachin Tendulkar on Thursday announced his retirement from Test cricket. He will retire after playing his 200th Test. Sachin said: "I look forward to playing my 200th Test Match on home soil, as I call it a day." "I thank my fans and well-wishers who through their prayers and wishes have given me the strength to go out and perform at my best," he said.
http://www.hindustantimes.com/Cricke...1-1133449.aspx
darklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 16:48   #105
BHPian

Default Re: Sachin Tendulkar announces retirement after playing his 200th Test Match

That's that. End of an era! All speculations can rest in peace now.
riturajsharma19 is offline   Reply With Quote