Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 11th October 2013, 02:28   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Sachin Tendulkar announces retirement after playing his 200th Test Match

So, the last remaining member of the golden generation (Kumble, Ganguly, Laxman, Dravid, Sachin) we had over the last decade or so is retiring. I wonder when team India will have individuals of such class, both on and off the field, playing together again. Whenever it is, I'm not very sure I'll even be watching.

I'm feeling bad that during so many years of them, especially Sachin, playing for India, I never took the opportunity to go to a cricket ground and watch them play for India. The thought never crossed my mind, to be frank, till Dravid announced his retirement. There was an opportunity to watch the IPL, but I wanted to watch him play for India, not Mumbai. Sadly, I couldn't make it.

Thank you - Kumble, Ganguly, Laxman, Dravid, Sachin - for the wonderful years of cricket.

I'm not that young anymore, I don't feel that passion anymore, I think I too will "retire" from all cricket.
StarrySky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 04:36   #122
BHPian

Default Re: Sachin Tendulkar announces retirement after playing his 200th Test Match

A very interesting thread in a car forum !!

Anyways, very sad to hear the news.

The GOD has announced retirement !! This is like "iccha-mrityu" of persons who are "amar", we read of in mythological stories.

I had always been a Gavaskar fan. When he retired in 1987, after playing under the Indian cap for 16 years, I felt it was the end of Indian cricket as the GOD had retired. Tendulkar started his career 2 years after that, and in a matter of 24 years has reduced Gavaskar from GOD to Demi-GOD. They are like "avataar"s keep coming at every "yug" (of Indian cricket).

We will have another cricket "avataar" in a few years time who will be born with blessings from Tendulkar.

Cheers,
Saurav
sauravdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 09:38   #123
BHPian

We are blessed that we could see sachin tendulkar for 24 years and yes GOD will always remain immortal. Take a bow sachin.
dkhatau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 09:40   #124
BHPian

Grew up watching Sachin play. Couldn't imagine Cricket without Sachin.

Was preparing for this day for very long, still unable to digest.

Watching cricket comes to an end for me, with his retirement.

Take a bow, GOD!
CliffHanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 09:56   #125
BHPian

Quote:
They are like "avataar"s keep coming at every "yug" (of Indian cricket).
How true Saurav? It is just that there will be one or another Avataar breaking his runs/centuries record , however I am sure the new Avataar will not come any closer when it comes to the gentleman and controlled behavior on and off the field.

Take a bow Sachin and Best Wishes for the "2nd inning" (Racing Cars)
sanstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 10:21   #126
Senior - BHPian

I feel very nostalgic and all that, but his "use by" date was over quite some time ago.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 10:41   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishbull_6157
So they are not doing it for the nation or you and me or for the team. They are doing it because they are getting paid. And they better play well because if they don't, the billing stops. So what I don't get is why do some extreme people treat these cricketers like gods etc. Aren't they just as professionals as anybody. And at the end of day, it's just a sport. Sachin is a good player and that's it. It ends there for me.
Couldn't agree more. Not sure what the big deal is here. He played well, got rewarded really well for that and is now bowing out (long overdue). Good for him and for others who will get a chance due to his moving out. That's about it.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 10:41   #128
Team-BHP Support

Followed his career right from start.

- Saw him live play Akram/Waqar live in '89
- Saw him live hit Abdul Qadir for 3 6s
- "Heard" him live in '90 when he scored an unbeaten first 100 in ENG along with Prabhakar
- Saw him live; hit that lovely 100 at Perth against the likes of Hughes, McDermott, Reiffel and Whitney
- Saw him live open for the first time in ODIs in New Zealand and score those 82 explosive runs.

And then there were the rest...
Operation Desert Storm, 300+ partnerships with Azhar/Dravid/Ganguly/Sidhu, 97 In that India-Pak WC match...
List is endless.

But with time my interests and favourites also changed. There were other jewels in the bag. But the amount of focus he had for his career is some thing which we all can learn. The only other guy as per me to match that was Dravid.

Last edited by ampere : 11th October 2013 at 10:48.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 10:53   #129
BHPian

Thank You @Ankan.m.blr for starting this lovely thread and many thanks to @amalji and others for sharing those lovely videos to help relive the special Tendulkar Moments.

To me Tendulkar is the last of the Gentleman Breed of cricketers and he will continue to be a role model for his dedication & humility. *RESPECT*
vishygk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 12:56   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanstorm View Post
How true Saurav? It is just that there will be one or another Avataar breaking his runs/centuries record , however I am sure the new Avataar will not come any closer when it comes to the gentleman and controlled behavior on and off the field.

Take a bow Sachin and Best Wishes for the "2nd inning" (Racing Cars)
It is true Sanstorm. We may have a new "avataar" who can match (and exceed) Tendulkar in his on & off field character, trait for trait.

We felt the same when Gavaskar retired in 1987. Great records, amazing performance (remember the teams he played in did not have the likes of Ganguly, Dravid, Kumble for support), no controversies, a perfect gentleman on and off the field, a great writer (Tendulkar still has to perform in that quarter), et. al.
Seemed in 1987, that nobody can ever beat it.
In came Tendulkar and forced us to change our views.

Why can't history repeat itself again?

Regards,
Saurav
sauravdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 13:01   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravdc View Post

We felt the same when Gavaskar retired in 1987. Great records, amazing performance (remember the teams he played in did not have the likes of Ganguly, Dravid, Kumble for support), no controversies,
No controversies for Gavaskar?
Gavaskar had a lots of controversies - the biggest one being the walkout after being given to Dennis Lillee at Melbourne. Other than that, the dropping of Kapil Dev, the 36* in 60 overs in a World Cup match, selecting what was almost a Shivaji Park XI as the Indian team for a tour. And post retirement, there has been the scandal of money being found in his locker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravdc View Post
a perfect gentleman on and off the field, a great writer (Tendulkar still has to perform in that quarter), et. al.
Why should he write?
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 13:45   #132
Senior - BHPian

A great has retired (finally?) Would have been good if it came out of blue and surprised everyone !
Gave so many wonderful moments to remember (including the drag at the end)
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 14:29   #133
Senior - BHPian

Apart from all the statistical wonders that he has amassed, watching Sachin bat was pure Bliss to the eyes. Many started watching and playing cricket because of him. He inspired a generation into the game of cricket. To me, that single fact is the best compliment for Sachin more than any statistical achievement. Will miss him. And watching cricket will never ever be the same without him.
amalji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 16:23   #134
BHPian

I really gonna miss that "feel", whenever he is batting in a test match or a odi or even a t20 , my heart always having an extra beats. It never happened when someone else is batting, but it only happens when our Sachin is batting. That's him..
Jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 18:07   #135
Senior - BHPian

Amen to that! Great legendary cricketer though he may be, it is good if he retires gracefully and goes out on a high rather than be booed out by a fickle crowd.

Time for other, younger players to "step up" and make their way in the world and certainly time for the older generation to give them the opportunity as well!

I am happy that he has taken this "mature" and "decent" decision instead of hanging on there like these typical Politicians in India!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote