Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2013, 16:15   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
Warwithwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,279
Thanked: 1,013 Times
Thumbs up Auto rickshaw driver's daughter tops CA Exams!

Just came across this amazing achievement by this young girl from Mumbai, Prema Jayakumar who has topped the Chartered Accountancy Examinations, which is considered one of the toughest exams in the country, battling against all odds.

Hats off to her tremendous hard work and perseverance that has brought her this success and a huge respite to the family. A great note of appreciation to her parents for their huge sacrifice and support.

Here are few clippings about her success story:




Source:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/18132310.cms
http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/c...b-offer-321214
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle4335431.ece

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 24th January 2013 at 16:33.
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 16:46   #2
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KA
Posts: 336
Thanked: 222 Times
Default Re: Auto rickshaw driver's daughter tops CA Exams!

What i read is , its a brother - sister duo who have cleared. The girl got 75%(topped) and the brother got 45%. I just image the passion, commitment and talent that these children possess that they are able to overcome all odds and show their prowess.

Good luck to them.
Shiv_1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 18:14   #3
BHPian
 
mempheS.D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 536
Thanked: 209 Times
Default Re: Auto rickshaw driver's daughter tops CA Exams!

This is just another example that the gems of India are still in those places where you'd least "expect". Yes, the problem is our expectation.

While my hearty congratulations go out to the topper, I can only guess the emotional excitement the parent must be undergoing.

All said and done - our media had to brand it "chawl" just so that it catches attention. Sick!
mempheS.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 20:53   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default Re: Auto rickshaw driver's daughter tops CA Exams!

This can be a news only in India where success is expected out of pedigree.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 01:01   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Delhi/Cuttack
Posts: 372
Thanked: 176 Times
Default Re: Auto rickshaw driver's daughter tops CA Exams!

I felt really happy for the family when I read this in the morning. Yeah, ^^^^ its sad that its not that common that its not news, but right now, with the despairing mood in the country, I just feel that we should take all the positives that come out.
manolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 09:13   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
Warwithwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,279
Thanked: 1,013 Times
Default Re: Auto rickshaw driver's daughter tops CA Exams!

Its not about her dad being a auto-rick driver. Its about the kinda support and care the parents have extended to the children.

In a world where some children enjoy the lavish pocket money bestowed by their parents and get drifted away from academics, this girl has really set an example.

Just imagine the social elevation that would result from this great achievement. Many political leaders including former and present CM of TN have announced cash awards in excess of a million rupees. Moreover her monthly family income would also now go up by atleast 10 to 20X which is a great great relief for the hardworking parents.

Also the positive energy created by this duo would impact and induce the families around to encourage their children to study well and accomplish something great in their respective fields of interests.
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 09:33   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 980
Thanked: 698 Times
Default Re: Auto rickshaw driver's daughter tops CA Exams!

I second the short post from "vivekiny2k". This thread itself is so representative of the deep flaws that run in the Indian Psyche.
Instead of the focus being on the individual's achievement, the focus is on the fact that she is an Auto-Rickshaw driver's daughter! It's not just us, by the way.
Her pedigree may haunt her for the better part of her life, through her career etc. She will not be counted for what she may be, but for where she comes from!
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 11:41   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,056
Thanked: 3,255 Times
Default Re: Auto rickshaw driver's daughter tops CA Exams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
This can be a news only in India where success is expected out of pedigree.
Well put.
Most pedigree in india get a silver spoon.
Why is this news? Hell, one of my regular Auto guys back in school used to read the ET !
Hell, I dont read the ET everyday even after 2 years of business ed!

But, kudos, still.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 14:16   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 46,591
Thanked: 80,497 Times
Default Re: Auto rickshaw driver's daughter tops CA Exams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
This can be a news only in India where success is expected out of pedigree.
And there's a good reason for that. An auto-rickshaw driver in India makes less than the poverty line of developed countries like the USA or UK. A plumber in the States can live in a clean house with an attached toilet, drive a Toyota Camry and visit the same restaurants as his clients. Not so in India.

This is a remarkable achievement from someone who has lived with extremely limited resources. Kudos!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 14:55   #10
Newbie
 
Honda2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 7
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Auto rickshaw driver's daughter tops CA Exams!

GTO raised a really pertinent issue here. We keep coming across such gems every once in a while - people who overcome their unfortunate circumstances to achieve what a person with all the means at his/her disposal isn't able to. All kudos to them. But without taking away any credit from them, due credit should also be given to parents of these achievers for having nurtured their children's dreams, and sacrificed so much to see their wards through. They are the real support ! Imagine how many kids fail to realise their potential - because of lack of means, lack of financial backing, or because their parents can't or won't see the vision behind their dreams. Parents such as this awesome auto driver are role models, who in spite of being so poor and uneducated, made sure that not one but two of his kids continue their education to this level ! How easy it would have been for him to say to them "Give it up now, you have basic education, now find a job and start earning money which can help us all survive". Hats off to such wonderful parents, they truly deserve the happiness of their kids' achievements. Wonderful topic, GTO !
Honda2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 19:41   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default Re: Auto rickshaw driver's daughter tops CA Exams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
And there's a good reason for that. An auto-rickshaw driver in India makes less than the poverty line of developed countries like the USA or UK. A plumber in the States can live in a clean house with an attached toilet, drive a Toyota Camry and visit the same restaurants as his clients. Not so in India.

This is a remarkable achievement from someone who has lived with extremely limited resources. Kudos!
you are comparing cab driver to cab driver. let's compare under-privileged to under-privileged. Many successful people in western countries have come from homeless conditions. But that fact is neither highlighted, nor hidden, because it's irrelevant. You can read it in their biographies though. That's because everybody gets (almost) the same opportunities growing up.

The point I am trying to highlight is that a nation that can not create equal opportunities for all it's children, should at least not celebrate the fact by highlighting "despite" of it. If I am going to say that she did it despite the conditions she had to live with it, first I should be ashamed she did not have the right conditions in the first place.

I would congratulate her on her success, but attribute it only to her talent and hard work, and that's where I would stop. She doesn't have to hear about what she had to endure.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 20:59   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
Warwithwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,279
Thanked: 1,013 Times
Default Re: Auto rickshaw driver's daughter tops CA Exams!

^^Why stretch it beyond relevance? Lets just appreciate her achievement and move on.

Let people who need inspiration look upon her achievement. Let us not unnecessarily complicate the whole thing and in the process try to demean her achievement.

BTW... Here are a couple of more videos I found on the net:




Last edited by Warwithwheels : 25th January 2013 at 21:02.
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2013, 13:58   #13
Newbie
 
Honda2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 7
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Auto rickshaw driver's daughter tops CA Exams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
you are comparing cab driver to cab driver. let's compare under-privileged to under-privileged...

..I would congratulate her on her success, but attribute it only to her talent and hard work, and that's where I would stop. She doesn't have to hear about what she had to endure.


Vivek, I think you're missing the whole point. What she endured to achieve what she eventually did wasn't aimed for her to hear it, but to inspire a whole nation and to exemplify her effort. And also when you say that everyone gets almost the same opportunities growing up - I don't think you could be further off the mark !!! The whole nation is celebrating her achievement precisely because she did it "despite" not having that equal opportunity !!! And your statement about being ashamed - whoa ! You dont need to be ashamed to accept the fact that she did indeed achieve whatever she did in spite of her economic and living condition !!! Peace out, mate !!! Learn to celebrate someone else's achievement, and look at it in the light of her circumstances !!! Chill !
Honda2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 10:01   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
Warwithwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,279
Thanked: 1,013 Times
Default Re: Auto rickshaw driver's daughter tops CA Exams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda2k View Post
....What she endured to achieve what she eventually did wasn't aimed for her to hear it, but to inspire a whole nation and to exemplify her effort. And also when you say that everyone gets almost the same opportunities growing up - I don't think you could be further off the mark !!! The whole nation is celebrating her achievement precisely because she did it "despite" not having that equal opportunity !!!
Rightly said
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 10:30   #15
BHPian
 
absynthguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 650
Thanked: 223 Times
Default Re: Auto rickshaw driver's daughter tops CA Exams!

Think it was Bill Gates who quoted " Its not your mistake if you're born poor , but it is if you die poor"

Mighty chuffed for the change that's taking place for that family.
absynthguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
On roof of the world with < 5 year old daughter mayankjha1806 Travelogues 11 22nd August 2011 18:24
Seatbelts for auto-rickshaw driver/occupants; shouldn't it be mandatory? sid1509 Commercial Vehicles 17 8th August 2011 11:49
Icse board exams in 1 month,and i need HELP! binz Shifting gears 12 30th January 2007 22:16
DRIVER TALENT:- How do u judge a good track driver from a good street driver memo45_m Indian Motorsport 27 18th May 2006 07:42


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:16.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks