Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2013, 21:37   #1
BHPian
 
Achyuth Vaibhav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vellore(TN,Ind)
Posts: 374
Thanked: 207 Times
Default Eating out in Vellore

Many guys from Chennai go to Bangalore through Vellore.In case if you feel tired or hungry please take rest in any hotel.There are a host of hotels in Vellore and I am here to suggest which hotel to go.

1.GRT Regency Sameera.This is located between the highway link to Chennai and Bangalore.At night,This is the most visible thing in that area.Food quality is excellent but the only problem is money.

2.Harish Food Court.This is Vellore's most popular hotle,Supermarket,vegetable market etc.Here,The waiters are very helpful.Food is served very quickly and is tasty too.

3.Aryaas Hotel.There are two branches for Aryaas hotel.One can be located when you come from Chennai and one can be located near the GRT hotel.

Hope you all find this useful.
Achyuth Vaibhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 04:29   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 5,304 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav View Post
Many guys from Chennai go to Bangalore through Vellore.In case if you feel tired or hungry please take rest in any hotel.There are a host of hotels in Vellore and I am here to suggest which hotel to go.

1.GRT Regency Sameera.This is located between the highway link to Chennai and Bangalore.At night,This is the most visible thing in that area.Food quality is excellent but the only problem is money.

2.Harish Food Court.This is Vellore's most popular hotle,Supermarket,vegetable market etc.Here,The waiters are very helpful.Food is served very quickly and is tasty too.

3.Aryaas Hotel.There are two branches for Aryaas hotel.One can be located when you come from Chennai and one can be located near the GRT hotel.

Hope you all find this useful.
Saravana Bhavan is one of the best places to eat in Vellore. Truly delicious South Indian food!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 20:53   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,472
Thanked: 4,466 Times
Default re: Eating out in Vellore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Saravana Bhavan is one of the best places to eat in Vellore. Truly delicious South Indian food!
More than two decades ago, while travelling from Bangalore to Chennai we had dinner in a South Indian hotel at Vellore with Tamil delicacies. The hotel served piping hot dinner on banana leaves and it was a real treat. I am forgetting the name of this hotel. Is it still in business ?

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 3rd March 2013 at 20:54.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 21:42   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 5,304 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav View Post

.But for some,The place is difficult to find .That's the reason for not writing about Saravana Bhavan

If one has a SatNav as most people do these days, I think it is pretty easy to locate Saravana Bhavan. The food is well worth the slight detour from the highway.


Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
More than two decades ago, while travelling from Bangalore to Chennai we had dinner in a South Indian hotel at Vellore with Tamil delicacies. The hotel served piping hot dinner on banana leaves and it was a real treat. I am forgetting the name of this hotel. Is it still in business ?
Very hard to guess this. However there was a Travellers Rest Stop operated by the Tamil Nadu Tourism blokes, just off the then highway. They had some top grub there as I remember it.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 21:42   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
Blue Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Right here .
Posts: 1,630
Thanked: 328 Times
Default re: Eating out in Vellore

I remember having lunch at a place called simply "Punjabi Dhaba", during the late 90s.

This was located on the road which has the main entrance to the CMC hospital. The suka rotis and rajma dhall/dhall makani i had then was awesome....thinking about them is making my mouth water now LOL. The icing on the cake....the wholesome lassi. It was a large glass full of thick sweet lassi, with malai and rooh-hafza topping...yummy!

Anybody who has been in Vellore recently...please update about this restaurant.

PS : it is a pure Veg restaurant.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 3rd March 2013 at 21:44.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 00:38   #6
BHPian
 
aditya79india's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DELHI
Posts: 250
Thanked: 211 Times
Default re: Eating out in Vellore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I remember having lunch at a place called simply "Punjabi Dhaba", during the late 90s.

This was located on the road which has the main entrance to the CMC hospital. The suka rotis and rajma dhall/dhall makani i had then was awesome....thinking about them is making my mouth water now LOL. The icing on the cake....the wholesome lassi. It was a large glass full of thick sweet lassi, with malai and rooh-hafza topping...yummy!

Anybody who has been in Vellore recently...please update about this restaurant.

PS : it is a pure Veg restaurant.
That "Punjabi Dhaba" was my favourite eatery for 4 yrs from 1998-2002!

The actual name is "Gyan Vaishnav Dhaba". Ironically one of the 3 partners is a Muslim guy. As ordained by fate, the partners split with one partner opening the "New Gyan Vaishnav Dhaba" a few blocks away, walking from CMC Hospital towards the fort.

However, the real taste in food is still at the original dhaba, though the new dhaba is somewhat upmarket.

See this

Last edited by aditya79india : 4th March 2013 at 00:41.
aditya79india is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 09:39   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
Blue Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Right here .
Posts: 1,630
Thanked: 328 Times
Thumbs up re: Eating out in Vellore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
That "Punjabi Dhaba" was my favourite eatery for 4 yrs from 1998-2002!
...
However, the real taste in food is still at the original dhaba, ...See this
Thanks for the update, aditya79india

Glad to know that the restaurant continues to serve good, tasty food even today .
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 10:49   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,407
Thanked: 913 Times
Default re: Eating out in Vellore

Fantastic thread.
We went to Chennai via Vellore in 2011 Navratri, wish this thread was there at that time...of course we ate at any place we liked -trying all dosas, medu vadas...I just love those. We observed that the taste changes every 30 km or so (just like language) and it was fun.

Our country is truly a heaven for vegetarians like me. Long live India...
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 11:11   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,604
Thanked: 1,203 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

If one has a SatNav as most people do these days, I think it is pretty easy to locate Saravana Bhavan. The food is well worth the slight detour from the highway.

Very hard to guess this. However there was a Travellers Rest Stop operated by the Tamil Nadu Tourism blokes, just off the then highway. They had some top grub there as I remember it.
If I search for saravana bhavan on Google map it gives me two options. Which is the right one?
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 11:16   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
mjothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,252
Thanked: 216 Times
Default re: Eating out in Vellore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
If I search for saravana bhavan on Google map it gives me two options. Which is the right one?
The one next to the LIC office.

If I recollect right, there is also a Malaimalar office next to that.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 18:45   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 5,304 Times
Default Re: Eating out in Vellore

The one I go to usually is right next to the Med or Nursing or some kind of College gates.
Very good grub indeed. Plenty of parking there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
The one next to the LIC office.

If I recollect right, there is also a Malaimalar office next to that.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 19:49   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 189
Thanked: 109 Times
Default Re: Eating out in Vellore

I was in Vellore between 99 and 02 and I used to love the food at China Town. The Singapore Chicken, Singapore Fried Rice, Tandoori chicken and a few other dishes were to die for. They didn't have the best service but the food was certainly great. Also remember a great place for kebabs and stuff called Royal. Great value for money place.

Oh I miss those days back in Vellore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I remember having lunch at a place called simply "Punjabi Dhaba", during the late 90s.

This was located on the road which has the main entrance to the CMC hospital. The suka rotis and rajma dhall/dhall makani i had then was awesome....thinking about them is making my mouth water now LOL. The icing on the cake....the wholesome lassi. It was a large glass full of thick sweet lassi, with malai and rooh-hafza topping...yummy!

Anybody who has been in Vellore recently...please update about this restaurant.

PS : it is a pure Veg restaurant.
I used to go to that dhaba just for their Lassi. Their food was fine, with some nice side dishes, all with a good amount butter and ghee and at very affordable prices but that Lassi was just something else. No matter where we ate, we made sure we always had a glass of lassi before we headed back to our hostel. Wonderful memories.
sunny310c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2013, 16:17   #13
BHPian
 
Achyuth Vaibhav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vellore(TN,Ind)
Posts: 374
Thanked: 207 Times
Default Re: Eating out in Vellore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I remember having lunch at a place called simply "Punjabi Dhaba", during the late 90s.

This was located on the road which has the main entrance to the CMC hospital. The suka rotis and rajma dhall/dhall makani i had then was awesome....thinking about them is making my mouth water now LOL. The icing on the cake....the wholesome lassi. It was a large glass full of thick sweet lassi, with malai and rooh-hafza topping...yummy!

Anybody who has been in Vellore recently...please update about this restaurant.

PS : it is a pure Veg restaurant.

Hey Blue Thunder,The Punjabi Dhaba is still there and only the name has been changed.It's new name is Aahar Punjabi Dhaba.The rotis and naans sold there are to die for.Truly delicious.
Achyuth Vaibhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2013, 18:33   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: .
Posts: 478
Thanked: 110 Times
Default Re: Eating out in Vellore

I always stop for an early breakfast at Grand Krishna. Pretty good food, clean washrooms. A must when I do not drive alone. Best thing is its on the NH. It was not my find but referred to by a friend who used to frequent those areas almost 4 times a week.

@Achyuth Vaibhav thanks for the effort! Its nice of you to chip in an help!
YaeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2013, 21:22   #15
BHPian
 
Achyuth Vaibhav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vellore(TN,Ind)
Posts: 374
Thanked: 207 Times
Default Re: Eating out in Vellore

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
I always stop for an early breakfast at Grand Krishna. Pretty good food, clean washrooms. A must when I do not drive alone. Best thing is its on the NH. It was not my find but referred to by a friend who used to frequent those areas almost 4 times a week.

@Achyuth Vaibhav thanks for the effort! Its nice of you to chip in an help!

Thanks YaeJay.Grand Krishna is a wonderful place to have food.Truly worth the money you will pay it.And please do have a look at other hotels in Vellore.There are a host of hotels in Vellore.If you eat Non Veg food please take a look at the interiors of the town.Vellore is known for it's Non Veg hotels.And if you come to Vellore from Chennai through the Ranipet way,Please have a look at Bombay Anand Bhavan.They sell very delicious food.

Cheers,

Achyuth

Last edited by Achyuth Vaibhav : 10th March 2013 at 21:23.
Achyuth Vaibhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore Hatari Shifting gears 3598 18th August 2017 13:11
A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai khanak Shifting gears 1130 9th January 2017 10:20
A Guide: Eating out in Pune abhijitaparadh Shifting gears 557 6th January 2017 02:10
A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR tsk1979 Shifting gears 574 27th October 2016 10:14
A Guide: Eating out in Kolkata (Calcutta) planet_rocker Shifting gears 88 31st October 2015 12:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:22.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks