Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 3rd April 2013, 15:39   #31
BHPian

Default Re: India to have its own Satellite Navigation system soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
All our modern war equipment comes from other countries. I guess if they need navigation, those countries would be offering accurate signals from their GPS satellites? not the ones used by civilians.
Your guess is wrong. When we buy hardware from foreign vendors, we do not get access to the P code of GPS which is available only to US/NATO forces and their allies.

Quote:
Our space agencies/armed forces could be selling a flawed use case to the govt. Just like other companies so that they have something to work on
The armed forces are only interested in working on the capabilities required to ensure the optimum security of the country. They only apply these capabilities and are not really involved in creating them.
neel385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 15:41   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: India to have its own Satellite Navigation system soon!

Quote:
All our modern war equipment comes from other countries. I guess if they need navigation, those countries would be offering accurate signals from their GPS satellites? not the ones used by civilians.

For anything else, I am not sure we need to have our own satellites. Our space agencies/armed forces could be selling a flawed use case to the govt. Just like other companies so that they have something to work on
Just to clarify, both the US, Russian and Indian system use satelites that provide a signal to be used for both military as well as civilians. Or to put it differently, there are no dedicated satelites for the military as such.

However, what you can do with the signal can be different for military and civilian users. For instance, the American GPS limited the accuracy used by civilians by incrypting it in a certain fashion. Also, in case of the American, its the military that actually controls the satelites. So they are in a position to control the GPS signal, it accuracy or perhaps no signal at all in parts of the world, if they so desire.

By the way, the military doesnt naviagte by GPS alone, and neither do civilians, such as for instance a Commerical Boeing 747.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote