Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 4th April 2013, 04:54   #16
BHPian

Default re: Dilemma : Employer fixing marketing stickers on my car!

Put a sticker saying - my company forced me to put this sticker, on top of the company sticker. Circulate a photo of that on a mailing list in office asking does anyone else want it.

Corporate hairbrained schemes are just too funny and sad at the same time. Along with the herd mentality to obey whatever the management says as being the best.
manolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 07:09   #17
SDP
Team-BHP Support

I am with condor, bblost and viveniny2k's suggestions.

Organizations can not use their employees and their private property as if it belongs to them. I would suggest fight it tooth and nail. Garner support from others who work at the same place. If you lose this fight, you and other co-workerss should get mentally prepared to wear a yellow shirt with red-branding message on the back while you are in the company premises.
Take my word for it, it would happen one day!

Last edited by moralfibre : 4th April 2013 at 09:46.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 09:06   #18
BHPian

You could put up the following reasons,

1. Ask them for a sticky board instead of a sticker, that you can put up on the rear and remove it whenever you exit office. (Just like a "Baby on Board" tags that are available). This way nothing is actually pasted to your car and you can have it hooked up when entering office and removed upon exit.

2. Communicate to them that the area you live in is not so safe and revealing your place of work by such branding increases the threat of strangers getting to know about your work abouts and gives them a chance or a reason to knock at your doorstep when you are not around.

3. Inform them that having the sticker on car brings a lot of inconvenience to you whenever you are out of office. The car is not allowed to be taken into your brother's office as there is a branding sticker of some other company and this being a shared car (by you and your brother), it becomes uncomfortable for your brother to take it to his office.

Hope it helps.
Arvind6488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 09:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

If the sticker is solely for the purpose of identifying which cars are allowed to be parked inside, you may have to comply with the move. But if it's corporate branding, either take legal action or ask them for a fat commission for the marketing i.e. when your car is on the road.

It's ridiculous to see the management forcing the branding on the personal belongings of the employees. Time for a job change.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 09:39   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvind6488 View Post
You could put up the following reasons,

1. Ask them for a sticky board instead of a sticker, that you can put up on the rear and remove it whenever you exit office. (Just like a "Baby on Board" tags that are available). This way nothing is actually pasted to your car and you can have it hooked up when entering office and removed upon exit.
I had faced such a situation in my company, and they wanted the sticker on my car because i maintain my car neatly.

Initially i was finding ways to not put up the sticker, but in the end i got myself a plastic board with a hook, that i could hang on the rear-view mirror.

As for the rear, i had a parcel tray wherein i placed the sticker along with some small-cushions. Problem Solved!
rajoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 09:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

If the intention of the company is to identify employees' cars entering the premises (for security reasons), I think they have a right to insist that the car should display company-provided stickers. The practical solution then, as others have suggested, is to stick them on some removable object and display it all the time you are in office.

If the intention of the company is to market itself through your car, then I believe they have no right to put stickers on your car that you don't agree to. But, the simpler solution here would be to just keep removing the stickers until they get tired. You can always say the kids in your locality did this.

I would suggest that you don't take on the HR/Admin guys or guys above them unless you don't mind looking for a new job. They probably cannot fire you, but can make life difficult anyway. I also suggest to not count too much on your colleagues' support for your cause. Although they may provide some verbal support, I wouldn't count on any of them to be with you if you need more than that (for eg: sign a petition to HR/Admin etc).

Last edited by StarrySky : 4th April 2013 at 10:00.
StarrySky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 10:03   #22
Senior - BHPian

I am suprised that there are companies who do such antics ! And that too forcing upon the individual even though he is not willing/interested to stick those on his car. Is it a parking sticker(small ones) or big branding stickers that occupy considerable area? If its the former then its ok i guess.All companies do it

Would it be possible to cut the sticker so that only the required part/important part is visible ,that is, if your company is hell bent on not sparing your ride?

BTW, are other employees not pissed off with this rule? Are they not opposing?

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 4th April 2013 at 10:06.
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 10:12   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
BTW, are other employees not pissed off with this rule? Are they not opposing?
A lot of employees in the IT world are just thankful enough to have a job they'll do anything and everything upper management wants of them and will either stay silent, or even go to the extent of criticizing those who oppose upper management's stupid decisions. Sheeple.

This thread has a lot of funny and very balanced advises. No wonder we all turn to this wonderful community for help not just related to cars

I'd be happy if the OP could disclose the name of the company here or in PM so I can keep myself and my friends away from it when looking for a job.
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 10:13   #24
Senior - BHPian

I know how it feels when someone sticks unnecessary stickers on your car and I have had arguments myself for the same reason. As a sweet revenge you can stick the sticker in some obscure place, such as on the mud-flap or some other nook and corner of the car. Rather than brand promotion, it will be brand demotion and they might ask you to remove it altogether.
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 10:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

Give/PM the name of the company.
We'll pre-/suffix the name somehow and you can add another bit of sticker to the original. Maybe the message will hit home. You can always blame the neighborhood rowdies for that.

However, I sense a higher probability of getting pinkied here.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 11:08   #26
BHPian

Pull it off each time they put it up and dunk it in water. Tell them it falls off every morning when your car is washed, and show them the limp sticker.

If they ask you why it keeps getting washed off each morning, tell them that just like they are not able to listen to you about not putting a sticker on the car, the chap who washes your car doesn't listen to you about not washing it off!

BTW, do the fancy cars of the top management at your company also sport these stickers? I think one of the major reasons why they aren't 'enforcing' the 'security sticker' rule at my office is because the head honcho has a beautiful Merc, and I don't think he's going to be pasting any cheap stickers on it anytime soon!
am1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 13:41   #27
Team-BHP Support

I had an evil idea.

Let them stick it.
You remove a letter or two in such a way that the resultant word looks like a joke.

For example:
If company name is message, remove age so it reads mess
If company name is "Show your signature", let it now read ".how you. ...nature"

Have fun, take care.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 14:47   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Remove the sticker carefully and paste it randomly on the admin guy's car. Each sticker they put on your car will end up in the admin guy's car
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 15:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys for some wonderful and some really wacky ideas but I'm still not sure whether I've got the answer that I was looking for. Also because I have already written it to the Admin head that I can't have the sticker on my car since my family/relatives cannot be associated with any brand. Hence, any other excuse now might not work, I was looking at some technical / legal (or constitutional ?) angle by which others who are using it cannot have this sticker on the car.

And no, no one else in the company is opposing it, in fact all admin guys and top mgmt people are sporting it like its a fortune 5 organization name.

I liked the Calvin idea, even messing with the name so that it looks funny but that'd simply mean taking them head-on, which I don't want to do since parking outside can get quite troublesome due to how others park (dinging other car's doors) and in rains it becomes a pool of dirty water.

Again, is there a technical angle that I can share with them and they might get merciful. I was thinking telling them that my brother participates in rallies or something similar (or as a marshall doing something or the other every month?) and any pic except that of the sponsor in the print/electronic media is not allowed on the car, do you think something like this would work?

Or do I tell them that my brother works in RAW and cannot have all this on the car? I think I need a highly complicated and technical reason for them to stop this crap.

On a side note, the day I leave here, somebody's gonna get hurt real bad (Russell Peters said it, not me)

EDIT: Is there a profession where one cannot be associated with any brand, NGO? Lawyer? or some other never heard of profession?

Last edited by fine69 : 4th April 2013 at 15:09.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 16:24   #30
Team-BHP Support

I really do think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. Your company is providing you parking and the stickering is only to ensure that this facility is not misused. What is the big deal with leaving a sticker on your windshield?

My last 3 apartment blocks have had the sticker rule enforced so my front windshield looks like an active boy's band-aided knees. Doesn't help that I have Team BHP stickers on as well!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote