Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 19th April 2013, 09:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default India's 1st Internet-Only eNewspaper launched

The country's first digital newspaper E Newspaper of India was unveiled at a mega launch in Delhi yesterday by Sachin Tendulkar. Also present on the occasion were Information Technology Minister Kapil Sibal and Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tiwari. The newspaper positions itself as the internet only newspaper with multiple editions.
URL www.enewspaperofindia.com
Source Rediff and First Post
Link http://enewspaper
Attached Thumbnails
India's 1st Internet-Only eNewspaper launched-en1.jpg  

India's 1st Internet-Only eNewspaper launched-en2.jpg  

India's 1st Internet-Only eNewspaper launched-en3.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 19th April 2013 at 09:11.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 09:59   #2
BHPian

Default re: India's 1st Internet-Only eNewspaper launched

Not very intuitive to use and UI lacks feel. Very tough to use. Gotta wait for couple more days to see how "fresh" the updates are. Though I'm not a fan of TOI, I like their Chrome app very much.
hdnivara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 10:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Why would anybody want read A2 size paper on screen? Sites like Rediff don't have a printed edition. How is this e-newspaper different?

PS: Why didn't call it iNewspaper? (could be patented by Apple).
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 12:12   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I thought Google India News was the first, and certainly doing a brilliant job of scanning the net and picking up relevant news items.

With one more dedicated news source - I guess google has one more source for their news section.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 12:21   #5
BHPian

I recollect TOI was already offering epaper from long time.
Milestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 12:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

Even the Hindu had launched an ePaper around 5 years ago, but they used to charge a bomb for subscription.

Many of my US pals had subscribed to it to get a feel of what's happening here.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 12:37   #7
Team-BHP Support

Difference between this one and the rest are like this
* TOI eNewspaper is an internet also version of the real paper
* Sites like rediff and many other portals are not news paper sites. They also put up latest happenings, mostly collated from different sources
* Google News is a mere aggregator of links (they of course also categorize and put them up in a better format)

This one I guess is going to be a dedicated newspaper. Which means like TOI or Hindu they are also press. They will have reporters, photographers etc. However, they will have no print edition and will only exist as an internet based media house.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 18:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: India's 1st Internet-Only eNewspaper launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Difference between this one and the rest are like this
* TOI eNewspaper is an internet also version of the real paper
* Sites like rediff and many other portals are not news paper sites. They also put up latest happenings, mostly collated from different sources
* Google News is a mere aggregator of links (they of course also categorize and put them up in a better format)
+1

Also the different editions too count. That means I should be getting local news for my edition unlike Rediff and co.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2013, 09:54   #9
BHPian

The first real online-only "newspaper" was India Today Group Online's thenewspapertoday.com

How early was this? So early in fact that it ceased operations in 2002-2003.

Source - I had a brief stint there.
snkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2013, 10:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

Been using TOI enewspaper for years - just re-branding being done here I presume. The site has been updated and (unfortunately) made quite data-heavy. Earlier there was an option of lite version which was quite useful. Plus you had multiple choices
- Newspaper options (TOI / ET / etc)
- City options (Mumbai / Pune / etc)

Can't see these options in the updated site. Thankfully there aren't ads (yet) on the site.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2013, 11:33   #11
Team-BHP Support

Whoever created the user interface/experience needs to take a refresher course on where the world has moved on to in creating compelling user experiences. This is so horrible in usability and gives the reader no reason to stick around.

In my view, an online only news paper should have pushed the boundary of how the reading experience is for their users. Not take the readers back to the cave age.

With so much technology advances, this is what they could come up with? Waste of effort.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2013, 12:41   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
... dedicated newspaper. Which means like TOI or Hindu they are also press. ...
Didn't look like that in the current edition - just syndicated stuff. I doubt if that is their intention, unless they have a TV channel linked behind somewhere. Calling Sachin or Kapil Sibbal is just a publicity 'investment'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Whoever created the user interface/experience needs to take a refresher course ...
+1000. Typical corruption of objective: make a software that makes news presentation look exactly like newspapers. Why at all? Might work OK on tablets, but imagine reading A2 print density on a 7" tablet. Forget about desktops / laptops - too much mouse movement makes it absolutely unergonomic. And it is impossible to read on a mobile screen. And who in heavens puts a flashing yellow background on an otherwise static page, just to announce the next edition?

Even rudimentary hyperlinking is missing. On a computing device, one tends to touch or click on an item that catches the eye, desiring 'zoom in'. On this it is non-intuitive. Click once anywhere on the news area, it zooms in generally, not where you clicked; click another time - it zooms out. Moving the screen around feels like moving a wet rubber sheet around a glass table - terribly sticky probably because they have a routine running which tries to center the image every time there is movement!!!

And on top of everything, if copying conventional newspaper presentation, they have made the biggest typesetting mistake: mixing Serif and Sans Serif fonts. Conventionally, printed newspapers use a Serif font ONLY like "Times Roman" (Duh!) to look fuller and elegant in print. BUT Serif fonts look *terrible* on display devices, especially the less capable ones. Almost all website designers use Sans Serif fonts (Arial for example, but there are others which look much better) - because they don't suffer as much as Serif fonts when one zooms in and out constantly.

Flipboard for me any day - just waiting for someone to wire in India-specific content as a channel.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote