Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 27th May 2007, 03:34   #31
Senior - BHPian

Good news guys. The DoT has recently passed a bill which will bar all tele-marketing calls. All you gotta do is call up your service provider and register yourself for the National Do Not Call(NDNC) list. This particular service will be effective from 1st week of June. So that'll be a great relief.

X
X-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2007, 07:43   #32
BHPian

Its one thing with passing bills and its entirely a different thing to enforce the Law. Lets pray that this one is enforeced strictly.

Regards
toiingg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2007, 17:35   #33
Senior - BHPian

Default National Do Not Call / Disturb Directory of India

• With effective from Sept-1st, you need to register only with your Telecom Service Provider to stop getting unsolicited calls.
  • Registration with Banks / Insurance companies is optional & will only help you opt out of the list faster[The links on the website mentioned below for banks does not seem to work,however telecom operator links work].
  • BSNL Subscribers can register by sending a SMS.
Just in case team-bhpians do not know this is the procedure to get yourself registered in the national do not call registry to be maintained by the Government of India.After 45 days all calls from telemarketers would stop on your nummber or else they would be penalized and on the third such instance they could be banned.

Kindly note once again you must register with your telecom service provider only and no third party as some websites have opened up claiming to be do not call registry

BSNL landline owners have to contact their nearest customer service office[physically go there],however BSNL mobiles can activate DNC via SMS.

Heres the website,which will tell you how to do so for each provider:
National Do Not Call Registry of India

Heres the official site from government of India:
National Do Not Call Registry

Mod Note: Thread merged with existing topic. Thanks

Last edited by Rtech : 10th September 2007 at 17:46.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2007, 17:41   #34
Team-BHP Support

Perfect. The resource I was looking for.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2007, 20:10   #35
Senior - BHPian

What about MTNL Landlines?
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2007, 23:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What about MTNL Landlines?
Not quite sure but personally feel just like BSNL,for MTNL landlines as well you would personally have to go to their office/centre and give a request there[written application].

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 10th September 2007 at 23:55.
Old 11th September 2007, 11:29   #37
Senior - BHPian

Prajeep what if the telemarketer changes his numbers[for instance outsources his work to somebody else],I think the best bet would be to register yourself in the national directory first,you should use number blocking maybe as a secondary measure.

PS: On many occasion telemarketers do not even reveal their number.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 11th September 2007 at 11:31.
Old 11th September 2007, 15:09   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
  • With effective from Sept-1st, you need to register only with your Telecom Service Provider to stop getting unsolicited calls.
  • Registration with Banks / Insurance companies is optional & will only help you opt out of the list faster[The links on the website mentioned below for banks does not seem to work,however telecom operator links work].
  • BSNL Subscribers can register by sending a SMS.
Just in case team-bhpians do not know this is the procedure to get yourself registered in the national do not call registry to be maintained by the Government of India.After 45 days all calls from telemarketers would stop on your nummber or else they would be penalized and on the third such instance they could be banned.

Kindly note once again you must register with your telecom service provider only and no third party as some websites have opened up claiming to be do not call registry

BSNL landline owners have to contact their nearest customer service office[physically go there],however BSNL mobiles can activate DNC via SMS.

Heres the website,which will tell you how to do so for each provider:
National Do Not Call Registry of India

Heres the official site from government of India:
National Do Not Call Registry

Mod Note: Thread merged with existing topic. Thanks
Registered with Airtel (Bangalore), they have "two" do not disturb registries, One is where only Airtel will stop calling and other where all other vendors including Airtel will stop calling. So you have to specifically ask for registering to the other one.

I asked them for the TRAI donot disturb registry, subsequent to which I was given a service request number. Please remember this a point otherwise you will be again taken for a small ride.
deepaktpatil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 20:30   #39
Senior - BHPian

Does this also include SMS spamming ? I have registered on the do not call registry but receive 4-5 sms daily.
sdp1975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2009, 11:09   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Does this also include SMS spamming ? I have registered on the do not call registry but receive 4-5 sms daily.
Yes, SMS spamming will also stop. In your case try re-registering.
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2009, 13:04   #41
BHPian

I am on the NDNC registry but this has no effect on SMS spam. I get all sorts of junk from "addresses" such as TM-XXX, TA-XXX etc. The provider says it can do nothing as anyone can send such messages from a web-based service quite anonymously. They say the only recourse is to keep your number private. But it's tough not to reveal your number on certain occasions, such as when ordering a pizza, booking tickets, or sending a parcel via courier. And it's quite likely that such databases are leaked to spammers for a price. I don't see any simple solution here.
Edsel Rulez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 17:17   #42
BHPian

Here's how to make telemarketers themselves remove your number from their list! In fact they will burn the list that contains your number, put the ashes in locked metal box, bury it 6 feet deep in the ground and run to the nearest shrink!

Ladies and Gentlemen, here's the telemarketing counter script:

[FONT=Courier][/FONT]

[FONT=Courier][SIZE=6][/SIZE][/FONT]
Wolfheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 17:37   #43
Senior - BHPian

I have a question about SMS. I get a lot of junk SMS everyday with no source numbers. All comes with some text and no number is displayed and hence cannot block them even if I want. Is there any way to block these SMS just like the way we have DND for calls? Have anybody tried with service providers on this...? I think they are selling the numbers en-block to political parties, shops and property dealers.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2010, 14:06   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I have a question about SMS. I get a lot of junk SMS everyday with no source numbers. All comes with some text and no number is displayed and hence cannot block them even if I want. Is there any way to block these SMS just like the way we have DND for calls? Have anybody tried with service providers on this...? I think they are selling the numbers en-block to political parties, shops and property dealers.

There is this software called SMS Spam Manager at SMS Spam Manager (Symbian, S60 2nd Edition, UIQ, Series 80)

Just installed the trial version...the reviews look good.

Hope it helps
mental4vray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2010, 19:35   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4vray View Post
There is this software called SMS Spam Manager at SMS Spam Manager (Symbian, S60 2nd Edition, UIQ, Series 80)

Just installed the trial version...the reviews look good.

Hope it helps
Thanks. I think this will still involve me paying for incoming messages while roaming. The only advantage may be that I dont have to read them. My requirement is to avoid these messages being received my phone in the first place. I found some GSM codes that will disable SMS messages altogether. But it stops all SMS, cannot be selective. The only option I think will be to get it done by the service provider itself. Has anybody tried it? My biggest pain is while in international roaming, I end up paying huge money for receiving all these crap.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote