Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 27th March 2010, 20:26   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4vray View Post
There is this software called SMS Spam Manager at SMS Spam Manager (Symbian, S60 2nd Edition, UIQ, Series 80)

Just installed the trial version...the reviews look good.

Hope it helps

do u know if they have an iphone app ?
dar3dev|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2010, 21:03   #47
BHPian

Spare some thought for the telemarketer..he/she has to earn a living. Particularly nowadays I am reading that such telemarketing is being outsourced to rural/semi rural areas or belonging to lesser privileged strata.
sanjayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 13:50   #48
BHPian

I harass the people who call me. It is my right to do so. I ask them about the company's history, stock price, CEO, place of origin etc. etc. The almost never know.
e1t1bet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 19:36   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Spare some thought for the telemarketer..he/she has to earn a living. Particularly nowadays I am reading that such telemarketing is being outsourced to rural/semi rural areas or belonging to lesser privileged strata.
Great thought. But I am not ready to pay for receiving those crappy messages every 5 minutes while I am roaming abroad. Otherwise I can just ignore them.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 02:19   #50
BHPian

Thumbs up way to go with the telemarketing counter script

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen, here's the telemarketing counter script:
This one looks amazing. Great find Thanks a lot. Took a print and will make sure to harass any spammer who calls me to market their dumb product / service.
TrueDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 09:29   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Great thought. But I am not ready to pay for receiving those crappy messages every 5 minutes while I am roaming abroad. Otherwise I can just ignore them.
I agree..these SMS/Calls while on roaming is a pain in all the wrong places. DNC is indeed a boon..if it actually works.

However, I was actually referring to various posts which are trying to adopt an approach of denigrating/humiliating the telecallers where a simple "Not interested" response should do.
sanjayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 09:51   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen, here's the telemarketing counter script:
This is nice, you have turned their form back on them.

I am on DNC registry for years now, so I don't get calls from TMs anymore except in rare cases. There are some fly-by-night operators who don't know the existence of DNC. Recently I got a call from a shady charity asking for money. Obviously they got my number from some shady means since I don't give it out easily.

Me: Hello...
He: Is this Mr.xxxx?
Me: Yes
He: We are calling from xxx charity and ...
Me: Wait, how did you get my number?
He: Well, we have our sources..
Me: Really, because I am on DNC. Calling my number is an criminal offence. Tell me who supplied my number, I'll ensure he will face charges for this illegal action.
He: I don't know anything...
Me: Still you are aiding and abetting in an illegal activity.
He: <hangs up>

This is lot shorter than the form if you don't have much time. Otherwise follows the big form, it is too much fun.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 11:49   #53
Senior - BHPian

I am also on DNC since it was launched. Calls are definitely much lower than before. However that doesnt seem to be applicable to SMS spam.

The biggest pain is that nowadays most of the mktg SMS are sent anonymously. It all comes with names like AT-XXX which cannot be blocked. Now I have blocked all incoming SMS on my phone using the specific GSM code. Not sure if this will help me avoid getting charged while roaming.

Last edited by vasoo : 29th March 2010 at 11:56.
Old 13th May 2010, 16:46   #54
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I need some help here.

For around 15 days, we are getting a call from this no. : 96898142072. We once received an sms from this name and it read " What is you name, my name is Nazam ".

Now automatically the sms got deleted and every 15 mins or so, there is a miss call from that number.

My questions are :

1) Is our phone hacked ?
2) The number being 11 digit one, we are not able to block it through the procedure told to us by helpline.
How to block this number.

Our phone model is Motorolla C168.

IMHO, there must be a facility in phone itself to block any specific number.

EDIT : Even from the received call list the number automatically gets deleted. As of now, we have shut down the phone.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 11:01   #55
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Aaggoswami,

Strange! This is the first time I'm hearing of something like this...you should first complain to your mobile service company. Just the fact that the calling number & SMS gets deleted from your phone records indicates something fishy. But then, the Motorola C168 is a very simple phone (I doubt anyone would hack it).

Do lodge a complaint with your service provider and update us. I'm very curious to know the outcome.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 11:04   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Guys, I need some help here.

For around 15 days, we are getting a call from this no. : 96898142072. We once received an sms from this name and it read " What is you name, my name is Nazam ".

Now automatically the sms got deleted and every 15 mins or so, there is a miss call from that number.

My questions are :

1) Is our phone hacked ?
2) The number being 11 digit one, we are not able to block it through the procedure told to us by helpline.
How to block this number.

Our phone model is Motorolla C168.

IMHO, there must be a facility in phone itself to block any specific number.

EDIT : Even from the received call list the number automatically gets deleted. As of now, we have shut down the phone.
Aaggoswami,

That's indeed an interesting issue you have. Is your mobile Virus free?
raghu230506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 09:24   #57
Team-BHP Support

Obviously, the do not call registry doesn't work. And we have telemarketers who don't know the name of the Union finance Minister.

This is from today's TOI.

Name:  DNC.png
Views: 222
Size:  108.0 KB

Offering home finance to the Finance Minister?
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 15:43   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Obviously, the do not call registry doesn't work. And we have telemarketers who don't know the name of the Union finance Minister.

This is from today's TOI.

Attachment 400695

Offering home finance to the Finance Minister?
Interesting! At least now they should do something serious to stop this menace. Apparently Mukesh Ambani also got a similar call some time back asking if he need any finance .

The spam SMS is getting even a bigger menace these days. I remember seeing an interview recently with Sunil Mittal of Bharti who also acknowledged that this is a big problem and he himself gets more than 20 spam messages in a day.
Old 13th July 2011, 19:05   #59
BHPian

Default Re: National Do Not Call List: Sign up here

I am not getting the credit/debit SMSes from my banks and also credit card transaction notifications stopped. I am told I have to whitelist (Deregister DND) for my cell to receive them by the bank call center and their technical team.

any other members experienced the same? Any way out of this without disabling DND?

Thanks in advance
Shankyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 21:10   #60
BANNED

Default Re: National Do Not Call List: Sign up here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
I am not getting the credit/debit SMSes from my banks and also credit card transaction notifications stopped. I am told I have to whitelist (Deregister DND) for my cell to receive them by the bank call center and their technical team.

any other members experienced the same? Any way out of this without disabling DND?

Thanks in advance
DND doesn't bars finacial institution from sending such SMS (if registered by customer). You can read this in FAQ. Whoever told you to Deregister, they are already high! Send them mail or visit bank branch and give in writing that failure to enable back the service will result in reporting bank/financial institute to RBI.
RaguHolla is offline   Reply With Quote