Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 21st May 2013, 15:36   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Dirty Medicine-The Inside Story of Ranbaxy

Man, its not game. So sad to realize we live in a very unsecure situation.

I recollect the days when my relatives used to bring the basic medicines while coming from abroad saying the quality is not so good here in India. Still after a decade, we are sailing in the same boat?

Last edited by jacs : 21st May 2013 at 15:38.
jacs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 15:42   #32
BHPian

This seems straight out of Robin Cooks novel
Extremely messy situation Ranbaxy is at. They should pay for the deeds.

"BullS can take one to the top, but cant keep one there always"
roadjourno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 16:06   #33
BHPian

An Interesting twist in the tale. The Japanese owners of Ranbaxy just found out that they were cheated in broad day light by the Indian tycoons. See the related news in the link below.
http://www.thehindu.com/business/Ind...cle4742432.ece
Manzone799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 20:36   #34
BHPian

Read through the entire article! I wouldn't have known how serious the issue is if I had not read the article. The media hasn't given the issue the importance it deserves. I only hope the government launches its own investigation. This is a zillion times more serious than the scams we saw here, simply because its a health issue and it has allegedly affected people across the world.
veyron_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 22:27   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzone799 View Post
The Japanese owners of Ranbaxy just found out that they were cheated in broad day light by the Indian tycoons.
As if the corruption at the government is not enough, private sector seems worse.It is a sad commentary on Indian business ethics in general. Foreign investors will think ten times before investing in India.

Dont these guys also run Fortis Hospitals? or it the Max Hospitals?

Last edited by Deep Blue : 23rd May 2013 at 22:50.
Deep Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 22:42   #36
BHPian

Talking Re: Dirty Medicine-The Inside Story of Ranbaxy

Quote:
An Interesting twist in the tale. The Japanese owners of Ranbaxy just found out that they were cheated in broad day light by the Indian tycoons. See the related news in the link below.
Daiichi Sankyo were systematically fooled by Ranbaxy promoters. Just before the sale Ranbaxy had FDA trouble with one of their manufacturing units.

Guess who lobbied for Ranbaxy promoters with US government and got it cleared? None other than Dr. Manmohan Singh.

New way of PPP - Public Private Partnership.
mroptimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 00:01   #37
BHPian

Thanks for sharing. I in turn shared this with colleagues at work and needless to say we were all shocked to say the least.

An older colleague of mine uses Revital and he has decided to bin whatever supply is left. Offhand the other Ranbaxy products that I can recollect being used by my family are Volini and one of their cough syrups. Well that’s going in the trash. Considering the details in the article and what was mentioned around 'early degradation' of their concoctions I don’t really want to take any chances.

This just reinforces what I had heard in the documentary The Corporation,
"All corporations are intrinsically evil as their main motive, make that their ONLY motive, is making money. Everything else be damned".

Last edited by kingofkings : 24th May 2013 at 00:04. Reason: formatting changes
kingofkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 01:02   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Dont these guys also run Fortis Hospitals? or it the Max Hospitals?
They do. Well, Malvinder sort of does. He has a stake in Religare too.

Fortis on Bannerghatta Road used to be Wockhardt earlier, when we started going there during my wife's first pregnancy. It used to be such a breeze. The appointments were always on time, the doctors had ample time to attend to the patients and overall you felt quite comfortable there. By the time of second pregnancy, it had become Fortis. I am not sure who was at the helm then but the change was drastic. The receptionists had been given strict orders from management to give appointments at every 15 minutes. As a result, the waiting rooms were so crowded that it was difficult to find a place to sit! And doctors would still want to devote time to each patient which resulted in delayed appointments. Trust me, you dont want to be in a waiting room full of expecting moms who are annoyed of waiting!!
We asked our doctor why appointments are packed so tight together and she just expressed her helplessness at the management directives.

Last edited by amitoj : 24th May 2013 at 01:03.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 07:50   #39
BHPian

Healthcare industry going very bad in the recent 10 years. Many doctors, hospitals also go hand in hand.

My dad works for a hospital on a part time basis, when ever we discuss about his job, I feel that what they showed in tamil movie "Ramana" is so true and happens on a Weekly basis just like that. Also Insurance company agents take part in this. It looks like organised wrong doing.

There are some straight forward Doctors even now and we are lucky we are in the last generations of them, our next generation is the worst affected.

Having good health is like having a Crore in bank for all of us.

Last edited by Ananthang : 24th May 2013 at 07:51.
Ananthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 08:19   #40
BHPian

Quote:
The Japanese owners are trying to wash their hands off, one of the main reasons they purchased Ranbaxy was the ability to manufacture cheap. A lot of things cannot become cheaper unless the quality is compromised, medicines and engineering good come at the top of that list.

The FDA probe had been on at that point, the Japs wanted a free lunch, they had no trouble when the PMO lobbied on behalf of Ranbaxy. A very expensive bit of chai-pani there.
avira_tk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 11:38   #41
Senior - BHPian

There are many lacunas in Indian laws. We also have to take into consideration that India is NOT the US of A. The quality of healthcare on the street and small towns and villages is not hidden from anybody. I have seen mostly quacks treating patients in hundreds of villages and small towns I have visited. I have seen them treating patients with horrendous techniques which would be punishable by law in most developed countries. But then we realise that if these people are taken out from the equation then who will give the people of these remote places healthcare facilities? The Government?? Forget it. They just don't have the infrastructure or finances to provide basic healthcare facilities to the general populous. These small doctors are the only hope for a vast majority of India.

Now lets come to the drug manufacturers. Most manufacturers I know provide and manufacture good quality medicines. I have a theory in my own factory that we will produce only those medicines which I can give blindly to my own children. Still the government, in the last few years, under pressure from some very big multinationals, is making laws very tougher for the small scale drug manufacturers. I have been producing medicines since the last 32 years without quality issues. But now the government wants that slowly all SSI Pharma manufacturers should shut shop and disappear. They are trying to implement US standard laws in a totally un-US kind of country. Where the government is NOT ready to provide us US level of infrastructure and corruption free environment BUT still wants manufacturing facilities, drug trials and unnecessary research studies of US levels. This is all a plot from many big US based Pharma giants to discredit and finish off local Indian manufacturers. And Ranbaxy can also be pawn in that. If they can discredit a big player like Ranbaxy then what hope do 100's of small drug manufacturers like us have? Once they finish off our type of small manufacturers, they will rule the drug market and you all will have to purchase only drugs from US manufacturers. And slowly but steadily they will increase prices to US levels in the lack of any competition from domestic players and very soon you will be paying 10 times more for your healthcare needs then what you are paying today.

Do give this side of the story also a thought...
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 19:21   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
They are trying to implement US standard laws in a totally un-US kind of country. Where the government is NOT ready to provide us US level of infrastructure and corruption free environment BUT still wants manufacturing facilities, drug trials and unnecessary research studies of US levels. This is all a plot from many big US based Pharma giants to discredit and finish off local Indian manufacturers.
And Ranbaxy can also be pawn in that.
Do give this side of the story also a thought...
Great to hear other side of the story as well!
Could you please elaborate on how corruption in the government and lack of infrastructure hinders enhancing manufacturing processes and drug trials? Besides, wouldn't it make sense to adhere to FDA guidelines if you intend to sell drugs in US? After all, you can't go to US and drive on the left side of the road just because thats the side you drive on in India.

In another news, FDA seems to be tightening its noose on another drug manufacturer:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...fda-alert.html
Old 24th May 2013, 19:36   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Could you please elaborate on how corruption in the government and lack of infrastructure hinders enhancing manufacturing processes and drug trials? Besides, wouldn't it make sense to adhere to FDA guidelines if you intend to sell drugs in US? After all, you can't go to US and drive on the left side of the road just because thats the side you drive on in India.
Well, my point of reference was more to the state of domestic SSI pharma industry in general and not directly in context with big pharma exporting to the US. The point I was trying to make that we as a SSI manufacturer enjoyed certain privileges in context to domestic production and marketing which slowly are being taken away under pressure from big pharma. You need to understand that the SSI industry would never be really able to implement the high cost involved in many unnecessary regulations in context of our country, which are now becoming mandatory under pressure from these multinationals.

The day would not be far when SSI in pharma vanishes and only multinationals remain in India, if the current skewed policies of the government are not corrected. Also the current policies of the government might also see the eradication of generic pharma from the market in the name of price control. And few years down the line you as a consumer might only be left with 'exorbitant' 'branded' 'research' multinational drugs to consume and we would be relegated to selling these rather than manufacturing them.

SSI industry needs to be protected and the present regime is doing nothing in that context...

Last edited by dkaile : 24th May 2013 at 19:37.
Old 24th May 2013, 19:57   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
You need to understand that the SSI industry would never be really able to implement the high cost involved in many unnecessary regulations in context of our country, which are now becoming mandatory under pressure from these multinationals.

And few years down the line you as a consumer might only be left with 'exorbitant' 'branded' 'research' multinational drugs to consume and we would be relegated to selling these rather than manufacturing them.

SSI industry needs to be protected and the present regime is doing nothing in that context...
Could you give an example of few of these unnecessary regulations?

As a consumer, here is my take. Given a choice between a locally manufactured medicine and a "branded" one, I would still opt for the branded one (provided it is not Ranbaxy) even if it costs more. More so if i know that the regulations around SSI manufacturing is not as stringent as that for the branded ones. After all, when it comes to my family's health, i wont exactly go bargain hunting.

Also, i doubt the big pharma companies will be able to dictate prices. They face a lot stiffer competition from other big pharma companies, unless they form a cartel and decide to stick to certain price levels.

What is shocking in the case of Ranbaxy is that it is a brand many people trusted (and some took pride in it as well) and yet, the company seems to have taken it all for granted and not only cut corners but also acted with complete indifference to the impact on their consumers.
Old 24th May 2013, 20:12   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
As a consumer, here is my take. Given a choice between a locally manufactured medicine and a "branded" one, I would still opt for the branded one (provided it is not Ranbaxy) even if it costs more.
Well you are talking the multinational's language exactly aren't you and that is what these US giants want. Your 'perception' that small manufacturers don't produce quality drugs is flawed. Your 'perception' that Ranbaxy produces only sub-standard drugs is also flawed. It is based on those US reports which you are getting influenced by, which exactly is what this lobby intends to do. That introducing tougher and more stringent requirements and exorbitant investments in drug manufacturing process would increase drug quality is also flawed to an extent. That you are ready to pay exorbitant costs is also a upmarket tale. What about the poor man on the street who is barely able to irk out the living for food? What happens when he falls ill? Is the government ready to provide for "all" of its citizens? If not, then this country needs the small drug manufacturers producing drug for the masses and not the few elite.

Don't get swayed so easily by these US reports in the name of so called perceived 'better' quality. This is a ruse which you need to wake up to. First they will target companies like Ranbaxy and next stage is the eradication of much smaller manufacturers who obviously won't have the resources to counter them.

I can proudly say the SSI sector in general produces fantastic drug quality at fraction of the cost of these giants.

Last edited by dkaile : 24th May 2013 at 20:17.