Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 19th May 2013, 08:40   #1
BHPian

Default Dirty Medicine-The Inside Story of Ranbaxy

I must warn you guys, the article is LONG!, but totally worth the read. I will say this, it is an utter shameless display by an Indian company to make tainted medicine, that too medicine that is being around the world, not just in India.

http://features.blogs.fortune.cnn.co.../?iid=HP_River

CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 11:42   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Dirty Medicine-The Inside Story of Ranbaxy

Yes I read this just a few days ago. I'm not sure how to react to this. There seem to be corrupt people everywhere in India not just limited to politics. The fact that they were able to play with patient lives (across the world) is shocking. Now, even if I get out of India there is no guarantee I will be spared from India's corrupt hands.

The only thing I can do as a mute spectator is to insist on not being given Ranbaxy drugs when I fall sick.
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 12:40   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Yes I read this just a few days ago. I'm not sure how to react to this. There seem to be corrupt people everywhere in India not just limited to politics. The fact that they were able to play with patient lives (across the world) is shocking. Now, even if I get out of India there is no guarantee I will be spared from India's corrupt hands.

The only thing I can do as a mute spectator is to insist on not being given Ranbaxy drugs when I fall sick.
Honestly its scary; that a drug company could have such shoddy practices. Its people's lives they are playing with.
Old 19th May 2013, 12:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Shameful. Thats the only word for it.

The sad thing is corruption and the chalta hai attitude has seeped deep into us, and is reflected in everything we do.
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 12:56   #5
BHPian

I just read it and I'm shocked to go through it. I do prescribe Ranbaxy drugs although very little, but now I'm not only skeptical but determined not to prescribe it. Thanks for enlightenment.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 19th May 2013 at 12:57.
BoneCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 13:02   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I just read it and I'm shocked to go through it. I do prescribe Ranbaxy drugs although very little, but now I'm not only skeptical but determined not to prescribe it. Thanks for enlightenment.
I am a doctor too; just starting out.. to my knowledge i have never prescribed any ranbaxy drugs during internship, but hard to say as i didnt look at drug labels and what not. When i start practicing here in the US i will make sure not to prescribe any Ranbaxy products. Problem is, they make the generic version of Lipitor here, which is used by thousands of patients here.
Old 20th May 2013, 10:57   #7
BHPian

This is extremely shocking! Such a staggering revelation was not even shown in public media and moreover Ranbaxy was not sued by Govt. of India. This is India's largest drug manufacturer committing the worst crime in the history of medicine. I will make an earnest attempt to make my colleagues and friends aware of this. But, the question that remains is - which drug-maker can now be trusted ?
Manzone799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 11:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

This is nothing surprising.
Capitalism if allowed to run free results in extreme corruption.
... and the same thing is happening in almost each and every industry today.

Pharma is caught immediately because the ill effects are noticed immediately ...

Another reason why US and EU believe in anti-trust (= not allow capitalism to run amok)

Quote:
the company culture was for management to dictate the results it wanted and for those beneath to bend the process to achieve it.

The company manipulated almost every aspect of its manufacturing process to quickly produce impressive-looking data that would bolster its bottom line
Only a naive person would believe this to be untrue.

Last edited by alpha1 : 20th May 2013 at 12:04.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 12:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Just started reading, now as Parents we need to look at the companies making the drugs and ask the Doctor to change the prescription?
Not sure how many doctors would know about this. Thanks for posting this. I knew about this but not the details.

They should have charged people involved in it.

Last edited by srishiva : 20th May 2013 at 12:28.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 12:32   #10
BHPian

From the article

Quote:
The FDA relies on data provided by the companies themselves. "We depend on that information to be truthful," Gary Buehler, who headed the FDA's office of generic drugs for 10 years, said in December 2009. (Buehler has since taken a position at the U.S. unit of the Israeli generic-drug company Teva.) The approval system "requires the ethical behavior of the applicant," he said. Otherwise, "the whole house of cards will fall down."
In the novel "Strong Medicine" by Arthur Hailey published in 1984 based on the practices of the pharmaceutical industry it mentions this same scenario... Fudging of test data by pharmaceutical companies. If you read the book, the script is almost similar! Apparently nothing much has changed in FDA.
TKMCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 18:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Am I the only one surprised by the TOTAL LACK OF coverage of this IMPORTANT incident in the Indian media ? When was the last time an Indian corporate was fined $500million anywhere in the world for unethical practises ?
narayan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 18:37   #12
BHPian

I read about this a few days back and it stated that the whistleblower is set to get (i forgot the exact figure) $50-60 million or possibly even more.
He worked on uncovering this practice for a couple of years and finally he was able to do so; he is an ex-employee and had worked for the company for quite a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Am I the only one surprised by the TOTAL LACK OF coverage of this IMPORTANT incident in the Indian media ? When was the last time an Indian corporate was fined $500million anywhere in the world for unethical practises ?
This is one of the many incidences where the media is stuffed with a hefty amount of money and asked to keep mum.
It is not uncommon in India that news which would taint the image of an organization or of the Government are not let out to the public, and even if let out it is done in a very mild fashion.

A stark example is of the LBT agitation here in Mumbai. People who visit the markets(cloth,metal etc.) everyday know how widespread and on what scale the agitation is but the media isn't showing even 10% of the actual thing.

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 19:22   #13
BHPian

I also read this a couple of days back, and main thing which stuck me was - has any indian drug inspection happened at Ranbaxy - now that this sort of stuff has been out in public. and why don't we have any sort of whistleblower system here.

Very very scary
manolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 19:33   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Shocking to say the least. Thanks for sharing!

I dont recall the brand but when my daughter's continuous cold and bad throat was not responding to a particular medicine, the doctor switched brands and she started feeling better immediately.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 20:02   #15
BHPian

Man this is serious.
I never imagined a cinema material would come true.
We got to spread this info as much as possible. I would be happy seeing this company closed inspite of being one of the top companies of India.
iamswift is offline   Reply With Quote